The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-11-2022, 12:11 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 14,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree with what you write but for opposite reasons. I like the uptempo SYW songs. SYW is pure Lindsey and I dont understand the hate the album gets on this board. Its nothing short of brilliant. There is so much creativity on this album it blows me away. You get raw oddities like Illume and tremendous rockers like Everybody Finds Out. The Mac has never jammed like that before. You also get delicious pop songs like Thrown Down and a very good Running Through The Garden. IMHO people dont like it because it was not commercially successful. One thing I noticed about this board is the more successful the album is commercially, the more love it gets here. Of course Christine is missing and that would have improved the album. But for the love of God, we all bitch about wanting new music and creative stuff. SYW was that answer yet people hate it, I dont get it. We all wanted them to dive deep into creating creative music without the pressure of pop charts and SYW was that answer. The same people who praise Tusk for its coldness and aloofness criticize SYW for its coldness
As long as you're the authority....ON EVERYTHING.

FM BLOWS GOATS WITHOUT CHRISTINE. She's what made the threesome WORK. She balanced out the ditz and the weirdo.

SYW would have been much more palatable if they'd pared that elephant down to a circus monkey. A 10 banana circus monkey. It's too long, with too many Silver Girls. It's NOT A FUN ALBUM.

By comparison, BuckVie is a f*cking HOOT. It's oozing fun!
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-11-2022, 12:11 PM
BigAl84's Avatar
BigAl84 BigAl84 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree with what you write but for opposite reasons. I like the uptempo SYW songs. SYW is pure Lindsey and I dont understand the hate the album gets on this board. Its nothing short of brilliant. There is so much creativity on this album it blows me away. You get raw oddities like Illume and tremendous rockers like Everybody Finds Out. The Mac has never jammed like that before. You also get delicious pop songs like Thrown Down and a very good Running Through The Garden. IMHO people dont like it because it was not commercially successful. One thing I noticed about this board is the more successful the album is commercially, the more love it gets here. Of course Christine is missing and that would have improved the album. But for the love of God, we all bitch about wanting new music and creative stuff. SYW was that answer yet people hate it, I dont get it. We all wanted them to dive deep into creating creative music without the pressure of pop charts and SYW was that answer. The same people who praise Tusk for its coldness and aloofness criticize SYW for its coldness
Oh I don't disagree with any of your points here, I agree! I love the sheer amount of rockers on the album. I think the album just has pacing issues because of it, which might be why people find it hard to digest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 4,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
As long as you're the authority....ON EVERYTHING.

FM BLOWS GOATS WITHOUT CHRISTINE. She's what made the threesome WORK. She balanced out the ditz and the weirdo.

SYW would have been much more palatable if they'd pared that elephant down to a circus monkey. A 10 banana circus monkey. It's too long, with too many Silver Girls. It's NOT A FUN ALBUM.

By comparison, BuckVie is a f*cking HOOT. It's oozing fun!
You are 100% correct. Fleetwood Mac is Christine McVie. I only bought their albums post 1970 when she was in the band. She is the soul of the band. She cannot be replaced. I was not excited when SYW was coming out for these reasons. I hated Stevie's 2001 Trouble In Shanrgi-la album and IMHO its her second worst solo album. Most songs are so boring and there is not much music to the tracks. Many of them have the same beat and mood. I did buy SYW when it came out and it was good to meh. It wasn't until I listened to it more that I discovered its brilliance. Remember portable CD players. I used to run a lot in 2003 and I would run down Ocean Drive every night to this CD. I love every song on the album and can hear and appreciate the coloring Lindsey put on every song. I did not like Tango....too programmed. Too synth pop.....too slick ….fake voices programmed bass, etc. BTM was good and at least all songs were real instruments. But Stevie's songs were horrible and the new guys were meh at best. SYW is just as good as Tusk IMHO. Of course Christine would have made it so much better. But she was not there so you cant get everything you want. Buck/Vie is just as good if not better. Its warm and peppy and I prefer Chris to Stevie so that is maybe why I like it more. However, SYW is deep which is something I would not say about other Fleetwood Mac albums except maybe Future Games or Mystery To Me. Its a work of art and I appreciate it and glad they did it. Some of you guys bash the album as an oversight in their career almost wishing they did not record it. Musically, its one of their best albums. A Fleetwood Mac album with more than simple pop songs. Now THAT is something to cherish. But look who I am talking to. You don't appreciate the magic of the Oh Daddy track.
__________________
Christine on Stevie 1984: "10 years ago she really had her feet on the ground but she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which Iím not part of. We donít socialize much."

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-11-2022 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-11-2022, 12:54 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I never read about whose idea was it, but after all his books, the MF story DVD, etc., I always thought DR was Mick's idea.
according to the filmmakers, it was Lindsey. One of the guys has a relative whose kids attended the same school as Lindsey's kids, and that guy met LB at a kid's birthday party at the relative's house. And that's where the conversations started about filming. From there the guy and his biz partner were asked to meet and present some of their stuff etc. (at meeting they where they say they thought they didn't present themselves well and thought they'd lost the gig).

But he later called them and offered it to them. It would be interesting to know how the discussions/negotiations with the other band members went over it. Although they've filmed themselves recording other projects so that wouldn't have been a new idea.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-11-2022, 01:02 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I think their view of the project has softened as more time has passed. Quite a while ago, 7-10 years ago folks had asked them on facebook about the project and they seemed to indicate that there was a lot of drama left on the cutting room floor. I'm assuming that a lot of Stevie's edits were most likely confrontations or drama that she felt didn't portray her the way she would like.

There are at least two known conflicts that were not shown:
1. "Of course you don't like it, I wrote it"
2. The sequencing of the album while Stevie was on vacation.

They're both smart enough to make sure they don't say anything to get on Irving's radar.

A directors cut/box set release for the 20th Anniversary of Say You Will would be amazing, but that will never happen. Even if they left some of the drama out but included more footage of them working on Come, Murrow, Smile At You etc would be cool to see.

As others have said, it is shocking how young they appear at 55 compared to 73.
Agreed there has to be lots of juicy stuff left out. They did say that the rights to it belonged to the band or Warner's (they weren't sure) but def not with them so they had no say in putting more out, or putting out blu ray or any of that. Agree that Irving and team won't let anything out that would tarnish the Legend's image at this stage. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some LB snark/eye rolls got left out too.

One thing I felt they soft-soaped was Sheryl Crow's bit. They said that she unilaterally decided after doing keyboards on one song (Say You Will I think right?) she decided it wasn't a good fit or something. When we know LB was not a big fan of it at all and one would imagine didn't mince words in expressing this to the band.. He certainly said it in a few interviews.

Totally agree with everyone mentioning that opening bit of music!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-11-2022, 02:45 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 14,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are 100% correct. Fleetwood Mac is Christine McVie. I only bought their albums post 1970 when she was in the band. She is the soul of the band. She cannot be replaced. I was not excited when SYW was coming out for these reasons. I hated Stevie's 2001 Trouble In Shanrgi-la album and IMHO its her second worst solo album. Most songs are so boring and there is not much music to the tracks. Many of them have the same beat and mood. I did buy SYW when it came out and it was good to meh. It wasn't until I listened to it more that I discovered its brilliance. Remember portable CD players. I used to run a lot in 2003 and I would run down Ocean Drive every night to this CD. I love every song on the album and can hear and appreciate the coloring Lindsey put on every song. I did not like Tango....too programmed. Too synth pop.....too slick Ö.fake voices programmed bass, etc. BTM was good and at least all songs were real instruments. But Stevie's songs were horrible and the new guys were meh at best. SYW is just as good as Tusk IMHO. Of course Christine would have made it so much better. But she was not there so you cant get everything you want. Buck/Vie is just as good if not better. Its warm and peppy and I prefer Chris to Stevie so that is maybe why I like it more. However, SYW is deep which is something I would not say about other Fleetwood Mac albums except maybe Future Games or Mystery To Me. Its a work of art and I appreciate it and glad they did it. Some of you guys bash the album as an oversight in their career almost wishing they did not record it. Musically, its one of their best albums. A Fleetwood Mac album with more than simple pop songs. Now THAT is something to cherish. But look who I am talking to. You don't appreciate the magic of the Oh Daddy track.
We agree 100% on the initial point.

SYW as good as Tusk?

Again, IF it had been pared down to 10 songs, it would've been easier to swallow. AND, $tevie's songs should have a time limit(I say this about every Dead/jam band as well). 4 minutes Old Goat, and your droning dirge is over. Hell, I'd support a 3:30 limit on her songs. Just like when $he babbles ON and ON onstage, $he just has NO IDEA OF WHEN TO STFU.
"I love hearing myself drone on and on, and so does the world!". No $tevie, we don't. STFU.

Oh Daddy? You're still beatin' that horse? It's been dried up glue for a couple of years now...
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-11-2022, 03:42 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
We agree 100% on the initial point.

SYW as good as Tusk?

Again, IF it had been pared down to 10 songs, it would've been easier to swallow. AND, $tevie's songs should have a time limit(I say this about every Dead/jam band as well). 4 minutes Old Goat, and your droning dirge is over. Hell, I'd support a 3:30 limit on her songs. Just like when $he babbles ON and ON onstage, $he just has NO IDEA OF WHEN TO STFU.
"I love hearing myself drone on and on, and so does the world!". No $tevie, we don't. STFU.

Oh Daddy? You're still beatin' that horse? It's been dried up glue for a couple of years now...
How long did she run on and on at MusicCares??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 4,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
We agree 100% on the initial point.

SYW as good as Tusk?

Again, IF it had been pared down to 10 songs, it would've been easier to swallow. AND, $tevie's songs should have a time limit(I say this about every Dead/jam band as well). 4 minutes Old Goat, and your droning dirge is over. Hell, I'd support a 3:30 limit on her songs. Just like when $he babbles ON and ON onstage, $he just has NO IDEA OF WHEN TO STFU.
"I love hearing myself drone on and on, and so does the world!". No $tevie, we don't. STFU.

Oh Daddy? You're still beatin' that horse? It's been dried up glue for a couple of years now...
Who cares what's easier to swallow. You act like a Fleetwood Mac album is a poison pill or something. Commercially, YES the cheezy critics may have liked it more. However is this not a board with Fleetwood Mac fans that likes all sort of tracks whether commercial, non commercial or unconventional? I am with Lindsey on this one. I consider the album a piece of art and I appreciate the additional tracks. You sound just like Stevie in the documentary. Your story is her story.
And another thing......Come is better than Not That Funny. Put that in your top hat and scarf and smoke it.
Lindsey's guitar playing does not offend me nor should he have to apologize for it.
__________________
Christine on Stevie 1984: "10 years ago she really had her feet on the ground but she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which Iím not part of. We donít socialize much."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-11-2022, 04:24 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 14,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
How long did she run on and on at MusicCares??
At least long enough for waltzes and excessive smirking.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-11-2022, 04:26 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 14,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Who cares what's easier to swallow. You act like a Fleetwood Mac album is a poison pill or something. Commercially, YES the cheezy critics may have liked it more. However is this not a board with Fleetwood Mac fans that likes all sort of tracks whether commercial, non commercial or unconventional? I am with Lindsey on this one. I consider the album a piece of art and I appreciate the additional tracks. You sound just like Stevie in the documentary. Your story is her story.
And another thing......Come is better than Not That Funny. Put that in your top hat and scarf and smoke it.
Lindsey's guitar playing does not offend me nor should he have to apologize for it.
Well, there's no accounting for taste...as long as you realize you're in the minority.

NTF isn't one of my favorites. I've never understood why Lindsey loves it so.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-11-2022, 06:16 PM
DownOnRodeo's Avatar
DownOnRodeo DownOnRodeo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3,481
Default

Screenshot-2022-05-12-091429

John and Mick after listening to the demo of Silver Girl.

"...."
__________________
Joe
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-11-2022, 09:01 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 14,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Screenshot-2022-05-12-091429

John and Mick after listening to the demo of Silver Girl.

"...."
"god, what do we do with this piece of sh*t?"
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-11-2022, 10:39 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Screenshot-2022-05-12-091429
ďWe had Peter Green in the bandÖĒ
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-12-2022, 03:52 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 4,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
"god, what do we do with this piece of sh*t?"
Silver Girl is ten times better than Think About Me and you know it
__________________
Christine on Stevie 1984: "10 years ago she really had her feet on the ground but she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which Iím not part of. We donít socialize much."
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-12-2022, 07:49 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,260
Default

Upon my first listen of SYW, I thought Mick and John shine the most. Some killer bass on this.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Reggae by Bob Brunning picture

Reggae by Bob Brunning

$6.30



1960s Pop by Bob Brunning picture

1960s Pop by Bob Brunning

$6.54



Heavy Metal by Bob Brunning picture

Heavy Metal by Bob Brunning

$7.44



1970s Pop by Bob Brunning picture

1970s Pop by Bob Brunning

$8.03



Rock 'n' Roll by Bob Brunning picture

Rock 'n' Roll by Bob Brunning

$16.08




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved