Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live Des Moines, Iowa 4/29/84

https://youtu.be/62fNz-gI8DE
Old 03-14-2022, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh wow. You just made my day. Best concert of my life. I always loved the echo effect on The Smile That I Live For. The recording does not do it justice. To hear it live in a theater took the song to another level. Fantastic versions of Spare Me A Little and Crazy Love. Just everything is superb!

A rocking version of One In A Million with Chris at the center microphone. Then she jets to the grand piano and belts out Hold Me. OMG incredible. Her live version is better than the 1982 live Mac version and is even better than Buck/Vie. You just need Lindsey on vocals.

A rocking Too Much Is Not Enough too. This is also the first tour/concerts of making Dont Stop a closer. The Mac used to play it early in the set prior to 1984.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-14-2022 at 06:22 PM..
Old 03-15-2022, 07:23 AM

Wow!! Thank you so much for this.

Smile I Live For is amazing. Especially with the echoes. This band is really tight. And yes, the Hold Me is better here than with Lindsey.
Dare I say, Todd Sharp's solo is stunning on Smile I Live For. That's how you do it.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-15-2022 at 07:25 AM..
Old 03-15-2022, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, this is just smashing good! In very fine vocal form. She sounds better here than on the 1984 record. And the band is hot as hell. For me, I was especially pleased with the energy everyone brought to “The Challenge” (which, on the album, underwhelmed me); the return to the 1972 arrangement of “Spare Me,” though sung with superior skill; the sexiness she brought to “Ask Anybody”; and the group’s spirited version of “Too Much” (which elsewhere has sounded bland to me). This was a great show and I wish I’d been there. The audience clearly loves her. She delivers here what Robert Christgau said of her self-titled album in general: pert, up-tempo songs that will keep you humming, and an unimpeachable sense of the sensible. But more than that, the group sounds like a genuine band. Thanks for unearthing!

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-15-2022 at 10:10 PM..
Old 03-16-2022, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My formal request for a clean up and remaster of this treasure. She is at the top of her game here- obviously inspired by a committed and masterful band, she is in amazing voice and equipped with a stellar set list. Every single song is a highlight. Thanks for this find!
Old 03-16-2022, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

One reason the live versions of these songs sound so good is that Chris got to use the same musicians on her album and tour. George Hawkins, Todd Sharpe, and Steve Ferrone, etc. Steve is one of the best drummers in the bizz. He provides that extra crack boom on The Smile I Live For.

I have the Jackson NJ show on CD that I found on Ebay about 17 years ago. One of my prized possessions. It sounds professionally recorded. Chris is so funny too because she was playing Great Adventures Amusement park but did not know the name of the town. You have to hear her banter with the audience about it. Its hysterical. Then she dedicates Songbird to them because about a week before the concert, several teenagers died at a fun house fire at the park.
Now you know why I say this was probably the best concert in my life.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
One reason the live versions of these songs sound so good is that Chris got to use the same musicians on her album and tour. George Hawkins, Todd Sharpe, and Steve Ferrone, etc. Steve is one of the best drummers in the bizz. He provides that extra crack boom on The Smile I Live For.

I have the Jackson NJ show on CD that I found on Ebay about 17 years ago. One of my prized possessions. It sounds professionally recorded. Chris is so funny too because she was playing Great Adventures Amusement park but did not know the name of the town. You have to hear her banter with the audience about it. Its hysterical. Then she dedicates Songbird to them because about a week before the concert, several teenagers died at a fun house fire at the park.
Now you know why I say this was probably the best concert in my life.
Awesome story! I have to say the Cleveland Show was one of the best shows of my life, too. She just jammed with a fantastic band and it had that spirit of a very entertaining night out. And she looked amazing.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Awesome story! I have to say the Cleveland Show was one of the best shows of my life, too. She just jammed with a fantastic band and it had that spirit of a very entertaining night out. And she looked amazing.
Eddy Quintela winked at me (us)from behind Chris's keyboards when my friend waved to him. His hands were too busy to wave back.
When I saw her in Pittsburgh she screwed up the town's name too. She thought she was in Detroit. It really confused everyone when she came on stage and said. Howya doing tonight Detroit
She apologized profusely afterwards.
In Jackson she asks the audience the name of the town and says this cant be the name of the town, right? Then she plays Dont Stop and after Dont Stop she tells the audience, I know Great Adventure is not the name of the town.."I'm really smart" Then finally someone yells Jackson and then she dedicates Songbird to the victims in Jackson in the park. You have to hear it, it is so funny and shows her sense of humor.

Dont you wish you had a hot tub time machine to go back to spring 1984 and for $15.00 see her concert night after night and just keep driving from town to town.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-16-2022 at 04:58 PM..
Old 03-16-2022, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Dont you wish you had a hot tub time machine to go back to spring 1984 and for $15.00 see her concert night after night and just keep driving from town to town.
I swear I think my Mirage ticket was only $16. Yeah, the ticket stub is in my safe, 40 feet away, but I'm LAZY.

I'd like to go back to 1984 for a myriad of reasons. When you fire up that hot tub, swing by and pick me up!
Old 03-16-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Eddy Quintela winked at me (us)from behind Chris's keyboards when my friend waved to him. His hands were too busy to wave back.
When I saw her in Pittsburgh she screwed up the town's name too. She thought she was in Detroit. It really confused everyone when she came on stage and said. Howya doing tonight Detroit
She apologized profusely afterwards.
In Jackson she asks the audience the name of the town and says this cant be the name of the town, right? Then she plays Dont Stop and after Dont Stop she tells the audience, I know Great Adventure is not the name of the town.."I'm really smart" Then finally someone yells Jackson and then she dedicates Songbird to the victims in Jackson in the park. You have to hear it, it is so funny and shows her sense of humor.

I really wish I could go back to that show. Also, David Gilmour solo tour that year too. Roger Waters was a little later.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really wish I could go back to that show. Also, David Gilmour solo tour that year too. Roger Waters was a little later.
In the 1980s people wondered what life would be like in 2020. We found the answer. In 2020/2022 people want to go back to the 1980s.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
In the 1980s people wondered what life would be like in 2020. We found the answer. In 2020/2022 people want to go back to the 1980s.
I also saw Eric Clapton that year, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, and Neil Young (small bar in the valley).
Old 03-17-2022, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also saw Eric Clapton that year, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, and Neil Young (small bar in the valley).
The prior year I saw Stevie and AC DC. In 1984 I saw Kiss with Wasp and Christine McVie.
Interesting mix, no? You can tell my friends were metal heads
Old 03-17-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The prior year I saw Stevie and AC DC. In 1984 I saw Kiss with Wasp and Christine McVie.
Interesting mix, no? You can tell my friends were metal heads
Yes, I had to sit through Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden(loved that show), Metal Church, and a few others.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I had to sit through Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden(loved that show), Metal Church, and a few others.
We had the same friends

Yes, I forgot, saw the Scorpions and Bon Jovi in 1984. Saw Judas Priest the following year in 1985 (Turbo). Never saw Iron Maiden. But I have been to a Slayer concert (God help me).