The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to go with Ask Anybody- it's a terrific song and great collaboration with Steve Winwood- I would've picked it or the equally great One in a Million as the second single. I haven't listened to it in a long time but I can play the entire song in my head. I didn't rank Only Over You as one of Christine's better songs, but since when did she ever write a bad song? It's just Ask Anybody is different for her and has stood the best of time.

Macfan- cool to have both songs on rotation at the same time- Violet and Blue was strong enough for the Wild Heart and is a great song too.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Wonderful. We found a song with guitar playing that does not offend you

My local rock station had One In A Million in heavy rotation in February and March 1984.
You've really got a burr under your saddle for me, don't you, Hoss? You should just go ahead and ask me on a date, and get it over with.

So I HATE the song Come, and Oh Daddy is like hitting $tevie's Klonopin stash. So sue me....
Old 10-31-2021, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default AA or OOY

Ask Anybody has long been a top favorite of mine.

The bridge on Only is a refreshing point of interest in an otherwise dreary track. The words languid and tepid come to mind. It's a sister song to Tepid Ways.

The lyric in Only is mostly too ditzy.
The lyric in AA has more maturity, a dark edge.

"They'll say I'm going wrong" vs "They say I'm a silly girl"

But mainly I just prefer the music in AA. Winwood for the win.

And as jbrownsjr notes, Ask is deliciously lengthy at over 5 mins, such a rarity for a Chris track.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Violet and Blue was out about the same time and I remember on my local rock station them playing Violet and Blue and One In A Million back to back. How cool is that!
I heard that one a lot, too! I love both tunes. And that's very cool.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
and Oh Daddy is like hitting $tevie's Klonopin stash.
It kind of occurred to me that “Oh Daddy” reminds me of “Wait and See” from Christine Perfect.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-01-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It kind of occurred to me that “Oh Daddy” reminds me of “Wait and See” from Christine Perfect.
I love the keys on Wait and See. She has such a distinct, quirky way of playing the keyboards. It's hard to copy her Christine isms.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
The bridge on Only is a refreshing point of interest in an otherwise dreary track. The words languid and tepid come to mind. It's a sister song to Tepid Ways.

Well maybe I don’t want to be friends with you anymore, Joe, even if you convinced Lindsey to put a Tusk song in the set.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Probably my favorite solo song of hers. It just F*CKING ROCKS!!!! The B3 and the guitar runs are phenomenal!
Yeah, “One In a Million” is amazeballs. Along with “Smile,” it is the best moment on that record. One of her most satisfying songs, period.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yeah, “One In a Million” is amazeballs. Along with “Smile,” it is the best moment on that record. One of her most satisfying songs, period.
Even though I love In The Meantime, 1984 will always be my favorite. The flow is better.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Ask Anybody has long been a top favorite of mine.

The lyric in AA has more maturity, a dark edge.

"They'll say I'm going wrong" vs "They say I'm a silly girl"

But mainly I just prefer the music in AA. Winwood for the win.

And as jbrownsjr notes, Ask is deliciously lengthy at over 5 mins, such a rarity for a Chris track.
The brilliance of Only Over You is in the lyric department. If anyone else sang the song it would mean someone is over the top in love with someone. But considering who the song is about it has literal meaning i.e. Chris admits she is literally out of her mind for falling for such a nut case. The silly girl line is metaphor on purpose. No one told her she was a silly girl. They probably told her she is out of her mind crazy. But she wraps it all up in a bow making it a dreamy love lullaby.
On the other side....the brilliance of Ask Anybody is she is still in mad love but she is not sugar coating any words i.e. calling him a devil. People are not calling her a silly girl but she should walk out and that she's "going wrong." She is still standing by her man in hoping he will change.
Both brilliant songs about the same relationship. One is very stern and the other is a light dreamy lullaby. But they both convey the same message. Its so rare to get 2 songs about the same relationship or experience but I love it.

On the another note, One In A Million peaked at #27 on the rock charts so it did get some serious airplay.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-02-2021 at 07:54 AM..
Old 11-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:

On the another note, One In A Million peaked at #27 on the rock charts so it did get some serious airplay.
Christine did well with Lindsey, but never needed him like goat needed him. McVie made magic by herself and others. I love that she had all these other co-writes and co-singing songs with others.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-02-2021 at 09:29 AM..
Old 11-03-2021, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Christine did well with Lindsey, but never needed him like goat needed him. McVie made magic by herself and others. I love that she had all these other co-writes and co-singing songs with others.
I mean, what she accomplished with Lindsey is remarkable—the perfect marriage of a tunesmith and her producer. But yes, she has collaborated very well with others.

The acoustic version of Friend that she co-produced with Dan Perfect is one of my all-time Christine moments, as is “Forgiveness.” And the best Fleetwood Mac song of the first decade of the 2000s is “Giving It Back,” which sounds more like classic Mac than anything on Say You Will.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I mean, what she accomplished with Lindsey is remarkable—the perfect marriage of a tunesmith and her producer. But yes, she has collaborated very well with others.

The acoustic version of Friend that she co-produced with Dan Perfect is one of my all-time Christine moments, as is “Forgiveness.” And the best Fleetwood Mac song of the first decade of the 2000s is “Giving It Back,” which sounds more like classic Mac than anything on Say You Will.
I forgot about In The Meantime. It's as good as anything she's done with FMac. I feel like Christine just keeps matching or getting better.

Yes, Forgiveness is wonderful. (every second). I love the outro because it's an outro and Lindsey may not have produced that for her.
Also, Bad Journey was arranged in such a cool way with the ac. guitar and vocal harmonies. Lindsey wouldn't have done better with that one either, in my opinion. And then there's You ARE and the Sweet Sweet So Sincere.
Her solo albums are hardly bland to me. Her reputation is all a Calumny.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The lyrics to Ask Anybody are better. Ask Anybody is a solid radio song for sure. The production on both is good, but the hypnotic quality of Only Over You, especially at the end, is more captivating. And I agree about the "Angel please don't go/I miss you when you're gone" part. And yet on the whole it does rather drone, if pleasingly.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Well maybe I donÂ’t want to be friends with you anymore, Joe, even if you convinced Lindsey to put a Tusk song in the set.
There are so many Christine songs with "Over" in the title, I wonder whether she considers it the most euphonious word available to her as a lyricist, like Tolkien's "cellar door."

Perhaps we could test this by replacing all the "Overs" with another preposition.

I'm behind my head, but it sure feels nice

I'm out of my mind, but it's only behind you

Could it be me, could it really really be, behind and behind?

I'd do it all behind again