Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default In the Meantime newspaper reviews

I'm starting a thread for "Meantime" newspaper reviews. I found two (rather negative) ones, attached below:

Independent on Sunday (London)
June 20, 2004, Sunday
BYLINE: NICK COLEMAN
One liked to think of her has the sensible one in Fleetwood Mac - a bit self-absorbed but in a nice way: practical, wise, vulnerable, soulful and, like, y'know, real. Here she is, following last year's creditable effort by a Christine-less Mac, working with musoid nephew Dan and sounding about as engaged with contemporary musical values as someone who made the best-selling pop album of the '70s. It's not a bad record. In fact her voice is as warm and unmannered as ever. But the arrangements are shinily dull and the songs consider love as a fudge of banal metaphors. Sorry. NC

Sunday Times (London)
June 20, 2004, Sunday
BYLINE: Mark Edwards
Sanctuary SANCD280 **
No band better exemplifies the adage that you need conflict in a group to create great music than Fleetwood Mac, where a soap opera's worth of dysfunctional relationships and addictions created some of the best adult-oriented rock ever to grace the airwaves. Christine McVie left the bickering band some half-a-dozen years ago for a quieter, presumably happier, life out in the country, and well, you're way ahead of me, aren't you? -the result is a solo album of soft rock so soporific that you'd swear several of the session musicians fell asleep while making it. Which is a shame, because the one song where the album sparks into life -Anything Is Possible -suggests that McVie still has hits inside her, if only she had something a little edgier to write about. ME
Old 06-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are more: (I don't know if they had been posted before)

-» Mojo (07/2004), Review: In The Meantime

*** (3 out of 5 stars)

Former Fleetwood Mac songbird flies solo for the first time in two decades.

Fleetwood Mac's cool-as-an-oyster chanteuse decided to pass on Mac's latest reunion efforts, prompting her former bandmates to insist the icy blonde was fed up with music business, and planned to retreat to her country home. But in seems Christine McVie was fed up with her erstwhile companions, and stealthily recorded In The Meantime, rather then participate in reconfiguring the '70s pop monolith. Just so we know she means business.

McVie not-so-cyptically tackles the invitaion on the vituperous Bad Journey, leaving no doubt that she's shut the door on her past for good. Most of In The Meantime finds the once-winsome musician with claws extended - penning songs that crackle with ire, indignation, and with none of the frothy self-deception of the past, be it on the casual hit-or-miss sex of Anything Is Possible or the chilly kiss-off of Sweet Revenge.

...and...

Q Magazine, July 2004

Christine McVie
In The Meantime
Sanctuary/ Adventure Records

* * * (3 out of 5 stars)

The ex-Fleetwood Mac vocal linchpin returns.
by Howard Johnson

McVie's voice is supremely confident, honed to perfection after decades in front of the mic. The price she pays for such quality, though, is a loss of spontaneity. The music is well played, but it doesn't seep down to your bones quite the way it should. Rumours, McVie's most successful venture, crackled with inter-personal tension, which added edge to the music's melodic inclinations. It sounds like McVie's a happier gal here, which is doubtless good for her, but maybe less so for her music.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Reviews of In the Meantime

I wonder if some reviewers actually listen to the CD.

Mojo thinks the songs "crackle with ire and indignation" yet Q thinks she sounds like a "happier gal"

I think they've looked at the song titles and played it through maybe once skipping tracks they don't like the sound of (or have decided in advance what they mean)

Gail
Old 06-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mojo thinks the songs "crackle with ire and indignation" yet Q thinks she sounds like a "happier gal"
That's what I notice too. Some reviewers say that she sounds too happy, but I don't think so. And you can't review an album with a "quick listen or two". It takes a few listens 'till it actually grow on you.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12
I'm starting a thread for "Meantime" newspaper reviews. I found two (rather negative) ones, attached below:

a bit self-absorbed but in a nice way
ummm, i've never, ever, felt that christine was 'a bit self-absorbed'. not even in a 'nice way', whatever that means.

what a bizarre thing to say!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How many critics actually listen to ANY album more than once when reviewing it? I'll bet, very few if any do. Actually, the Q & Mojo reviews aren't really that bad. Both reviewers seem to basically like the album. I'll bet both reviewers would like it even more if they listened to it another time or two.

Last edited by macfan 57; 06-27-2004 at 03:34 PM..
Old 06-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ummm, i've never, ever, felt that christine was 'a bit self-absorbed'. not even in a 'nice way', whatever that means.
I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, she may be one of the least self-absorbed songwriters ever.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:03 PM

I have found over the years, that as a fan it only matters what I think of her music.

As a musician, it only matters what I think of my music as well.

It's really difficult sometimes!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
working with musoid nephew Dan

Anyone know what a musoid is?!

Ahhh, who really cares the critics say anyway. If we like the music, and I think we do/will, that's all that really matters. I think someone said somewhere in one of these threads around these parts, that all music critics are failed musicians with chips on their shoulders, or something to that effect. I liked the sentiment.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
I have found over the years, that as a fan it only matters what I think of her music.

As a musician, it only matters what I think of my music as well.

It's really difficult sometimes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
Ahhh, who really cares the critics say anyway. If we like the music, and I think we do/will, that's all that really matters.
Very well said you two!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default are they hearing it?

thanks for posting the reviews of In the Meantime from the British press. I'm stunned by the fundamentally negative assessment of what I feel is a virtually flawless record. I am a huge fan and I know this biases me a bit, but I was always candid with myself (and others) about the shortcomings of her 1984 solo record. When I heard this new recording straight through I was not only pleased with its quality but delighted that it had far-surpassed my expectations. Her voice sounds great, all but one of the songs (Easy Come, Easy Go) are pop gemstones, and the spare, concise arrangments make claer that the vocals are the primary concern. I recommend the cd without qualification and think it's brilliant. I also think I have a fairly discerning ear...so I'm appalled and shocked that reviewers are tearing it up.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Here is a little, but rather positive note I found while looking through my mother's magazines. The magazine's name is "Woman and Home" and it's on the July issue. The little note is on the music choices of the month and it reads:

"The third solo album from the former Fleetwood Mac member (writer of Don't Stop and Songbird) proves that her piano-playing and songwriting muscles are in great condition."
Old 06-30-2004, 03:03 PM

I actually think the reviews are dead on. After listening to all the song samples, I was unimpressed.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is why you should listen to the entire song several times before a giving a review.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oops...I meant to say, listen to the entire album several times before giving a review. You can't give a decent review listening to a one minute snipit.