Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
She played it on a grand piano too which is quite rare. Didn't she play Not That Funny, Sara, and Dont Stop at the upright piano for Tusk and Mirage. Her solo tour she brought a real grand piano on stage for her piano songs. By the time the next Mac tours came around in 1987 and 1990, the electric piano keyboard sound was the norm. Although Chris did play a grand piano during Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For you. She always played Songbird on a grand piano, correct?
Correct me if I am wrong but this could be the only Dont Stop at a grand piano (1984 tour)?
Besides Hold Me, she also played Got A Hold On Me on the grand piano.
Yes, I remember her walking back and forth with Eddy. 1984 (grand)
Yes, on all of the other. Upright for Tusk and Mirage. Although, the Live album doesn't sound like an upright even tho it is. (NTF)

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 02-22-2023 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-22-2023, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I only remember Not That Funny and Sara on the upright.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Don't Stop? that was upright, too. No? I'm asking. I honestly can't remember.

U.S Fest she used the grand.
Old 02-22-2023, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Maybe if you did not spend so much time at that darn concession stand buying hot dogs, pop corn, and slushies you would have saw Don't Stop and remembered it.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:01 PM

You can tell she loves the Columbus crowd. They got a treat.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Don't Stop? that was upright, too. No? I'm asking. I honestly can't remember.

U.S Fest she used the grand.
Don’t Stop was never on the upright—at least in any of the videos I saw. I remember the Keyboard feature where she was the cover story. It clarified that she used the grand for two songs and the upright for two songs: the latter were Sara and Not That Funny; the former were Don’t Stop and Songbird.

Years later, in the Tango tour era, she ditched the upright and only used the grand—and occasionally played Stevie’s HAEWAFY on it. In The Dance era, she played the opening passages of Rhiannon and all of Silver Springs on it, but not Don’t Stop.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe if you did not spend so much time at that darn concession stand buying hot dogs, pop corn, and slushies you would have saw Don't Stop and remembered it.
Aren't you late getting back to the home?

Did your Jazzy scooter lose it's charge?
Old 02-23-2023, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You can tell she loves the Columbus crowd. They got a treat.
Most definitely. I would love to know the attendance of the show. The crowd is on fire. I wish I could magically go back in time at my age and car. Just think. You could have seen this show in Columbus on the 8th, drove to Cleveland on the 9th, then drove to Pittsburgh for the 11th and could have been almost front row or very close each night.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-23-2023 at 08:45 AM..
Old 02-23-2023, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes it appears she has used 2 styles of pianos in concert. Interesting fact. I am not a piano expert so I am curious why Sara and NTF were used on the upright. Dont Stop has always been played on a grand until later years when the electric keyboard could sound just like a real piano.
I would love to hear it directly from her since they are her songs. But any piano experts around? Maybe because I have the visual in my head of her playing the upright on Sara and NTF but it seems cooler IMHO. I know songs like Songbird are more delicate and made to be played on the grand.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Yes it appears she has used 2 styles of pianos in concert. Interesting fact. I am not a piano expert so I am curious why Sara and NTF were used on the upright. Dont Stop has always been played on a grand until later years when the electric keyboard could sound just like a real piano.
I would love to hear it directly from her since they are her songs. But any piano experts around? Maybe because I have the visual in my head of her playing the upright on Sara and NTF but it seems cooler IMHO. I know songs like Songbird are more delicate and made to be played on the grand.
I think early on she had a tack piano (not sure if I spelled that correctly) for the upright. So maybe, she didn't want that for Don't Stop?

Where the hell is David or SteveMac?
Old 02-23-2023, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really more for visual effect, I think. In addition to the upright having a honky-tonk sound, she could play it right alongside the others, whereas whenever she used the grand it was positioned so far to the left of the stage that she was pretty physically removed from them. You can guess how far this was in the live German version of Don’t Stop (1980) where the only shot we get of her playing or singing is BEFORE the song starts—and even then it appears to be stock footage. The camera crew could not include her in a wide band shot.

The problem was rectified by the time of The Dance because by then the grand piano was placed on a rotating disc that also included her keyboards, so whenever she played one of them, the stage rotated.

However, such an ingenious device was not used for the On With The Show tour. There, the piano was air lifted onto the stage for one song—Songbird. All other piano parts were shared by her and Brett on electric pianos. And in 2018, the piano was left home.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Really more for visual effect, I think. In addition to the upright having a honky-tonk sound, she could play it right alongside the others, whereas whenever she used the grand it was positioned so far to the left of the stage that she was pretty physically removed from them. You can guess how far this was in the live German version of Don’t Stop (1980) where the only shot we get of her playing or singing is BEFORE the song starts—and even then it appears to be stock footage. The camera crew could not include her in a wide band shot.

The problem was rectified by the time of The Dance because by then the grand piano was placed on a rotating disc that also included her keyboards, so whenever she played one of them, the stage rotated.

However, such an ingenious device was not used for the On With The Show tour. There, the piano was air lifted onto the stage for one song—Songbird. All other piano parts were shared by her and Brett on electric pianos. And in 2018, the piano was left home.
I swear that for Mirage, it rose from beneath the stage(god, that's been 41 years ago- kill me now).

And I agree that uprights sound more "honky tonk", plus the visual of her playing it on the other side of the stage.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I swear that for Mirage, it rose from beneath the stage(god, that's been 41 years ago- kill me now).

And I agree that uprights sound more "honky tonk", plus the visual of her playing it on the other side of the stage.
I loved when she played the upright!
Old 02-23-2023, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You’re likely right. A lot of production for very little use of the piano. I wish she’d played it more…
Old 02-23-2023, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For Tango, the grand piano did rise out of the stage. I remember seeing that and thinking, wow that's so cool. I was not there for Mirage so cant comment. I think the visual in my head was I have seen Chris play the upright piano endless times on the Mirage concert on NTF and the Sara video led me to believe the Dont Stop shuffle was done on the upright. It was in my head even though it was not accurate. Is not a shuffle a bit of honky tonk? It's what was always in my head. My first live witness of Dont Stop was on her 1984 solo tour. But every tour I have seen on youtube shows her playing the grand piano for Dont Stop. When technology came out the grand piano may not have been needed as much. I suppose because it was always used for Songbird, why not use it for HAEWAFY too.