The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What Fleetwood Mac songs are really Lindsey solo songs?

I wasn’t sure whether to put this in the Rumours forum of the Lindsey forum, but ultimately decided on the Rumours forum. My question is, has it ever been said definitively which Lindsey songs that appeared on FM albums were actually recorded with the band? I know we could all guess, but has it ever been acknowledged for sure which songs they were? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Definite solo songs:
Make Me a Mask
The Ledge
Save Me a Place
It Takes Time
That’s Enough For Me

95% certain solo songs:
Family Man
Big Love
Tango in the Night
That’s All For Everyone
Not That a funny
Book of Love

Always wondered about:
Caroline
Tusk
I Know I’m Not Wrong
Empire State
Oh Diane
Book of Love

I really wonder about Tusk- I assume the band recorded it together, but with the marching band playing along, I can’t really tell.

Last edited by bwboy; 01-29-2023 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Updated to reflect answers posted below
Old 01-29-2023, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know Mick was playing a steak on Tusk.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-29-2023, 04:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I wasn’t sure whether to put this in the Rumours forum of the Lindsey forum, but ultimately decided on the Rumours forum. My question is, has it ever been said definitively which Lindsey songs that appeared on FM albums were actually recorded with the band? I know we could all guess, but has it ever been acknowledged for sure which songs they were? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Definite solo songs:
Make Me a Mask

95% certain solo songs:
Family Man
Big Love
Tango in the Night
Walk a Thin Line
What Makes You Think You’re the One
That’s All For Everyone
Not That a funny
Book of Love

Always wondered about:
Caroline
Tusk
The Ledge
I Know I’m Not Wrong
Empire State
Oh Diane
Book of Love

I really wonder about Tusk- I assume the band recorded it together, but with the marching band playing along, I can’t really tell.
In a 1981 interview with Musician Magazine, Buckingham said that "The Ledge", "Save Me a Place", and "That's Enough For Me" were recorded all by himself. The liner notes of Tusk's 2015 deluxe edition mention that "What Makes You Think You're the One" only featured Lindsey and Mick. During the Tusk documentary, there's also footage of Mick Fleetwood aggressively striking a snare drum on "Walk a Thin Line" and another segment with Nicks and Christine McVie recording backing vocals on the same song, although I'm not entirely sure if they were used on the final mix.

If I remember correctly, John McVie mentioned in a Q&A with The Penguin that he played bass on "Caroline". The vocal interlude in "Family Man" was also sung by Nicks according to Buckingham in a 1987 interview.

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 01-29-2023 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-29-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I know Mick was playing a steak on Tusk.
It was on Mirage that he played a lamb steak.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It was on Mirage that he played a lamb steak.
Mick Fleetwood certainly played lamb chops on "Tusk" (specifically with a spatula), although I'm not entirely sure if he used the food as an instrument on any Mirage tracks.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Mick Fleetwood certainly played lamb chops on "Tusk" (specifically with a spatula), although I'm not entirely sure if he used the food as an instrument on any Mirage tracks.
Someone told me the played a lamb steak on put it on Hold Me.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Definite solo songs:
Make Me a Mask
add It Takes Time
Old 01-29-2023, 05:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Someone told me the played a lamb steak on put it on Hold Me.
I'm sure you're referring to the whip crack sound on the chorus. The source of that sound remains a mystery to me, although I may have read that it was simply a guitar effect from Buckingham.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
add It Takes Time
Wow, thanks everyone! Much appreciated!

I have never heard (or heard of) It Takes Time. Can you tell me about it?
Old 01-29-2023, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure you're referring to the whip crack sound on the chorus. The source of that sound remains a mystery to me, although I may have read that it was simply a guitar effect from Buckingham.
I have ALWAYS wondered what was making that sound.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

you didn't download EP in 2013?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-29-2023, 06:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

"It Takes Time" was released on a digital-only extended play aptly titled Extended Play. When Fleetwood Mac was prepping for their 2013 tour, the original plan was to release two singles, namely "Sad Angel" and "Miss Fantasy", both of which were written by Buckingham and recorded by the full band around 2012. However, Nicks reportedly felt underutilized and felt self-conscious about not contributing any songs of her own, so she dug up an old demo she originally co-wrote with Buckingham prior to joining the band. The EP was fleshed out with "It Takes Time", a very sparse Buckingham ballad that lacks any guitars. Instead, the song is centered around the piano and voice, with very cheesy synth strings entering in on the chorus. Musically, the song is rather clunky and arguably unfit for a Fleetwood Mac release.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it’s on a Fleetwood Mac album it’s not a solo song. I get the question but ever since TUSK it’s always been a good question. Lindsey obviously used more of his “own musical stuff “ from 1979-1987 on the the Fleetwood Mac albums instead of using his band.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you didn't download EP in 2013?
Thank you! Yes, I did, but I only remembered Miss Fantasy, Sad Angel, and Without You. I honestly can’t even remember how it goes, so I’ll have to listen to the EP to refresh my memory.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"It Takes Time" was released on a digital-only extended play aptly titled Extended Play. When Fleetwood Mac was prepping for their 2013 tour, the original plan was to release two singles, namely "Sad Angel" and "Miss Fantasy", both of which were written by Buckingham and recorded by the full band around 2012. However, Nicks reportedly felt underutilized and felt self-conscious about not contributing any songs of her own, so she dug up an old demo she originally co-wrote with Buckingham prior to joining the band. The EP was fleshed out with "It Takes Time", a very sparse Buckingham ballad that lacks any guitars. Instead, the song is centered around the piano and voice, with very cheesy synth strings entering in on the chorus. Musically, the song is rather clunky and arguably unfit for a Fleetwood Mac release.
I really can’t remember the song, so clearly it didn’t make an impact on me. But I didn’t know how the EP came to be, so thank you for the info.