User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2023, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't post pics on here but, if you go to this link

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonc...h=5c4fc31b22ec

and look at the pic of the Brian Larsen they show and pull up the video link at the beginning of this thread, they actually DO seem to show the same person....

Also, going down the rabbit hole of the earlier thread posted on here where a guy by this name was being discussed, I couldn't get over how unaware people were/still are? about how Wikipedia works. So many comments on there "are you saying Wikipedia is wrong?" For those still unaware, ANYONE can edit/add/remove info to any Wikipedia page... including people telling "untruths"

I really hope people know better by now, but maybe not......Buyer beware.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-17-2023 at 05:44 PM..
Old 01-17-2023, 05:21 PM
Ledgie

Hi David, I'm Brian (the guy who posted the piano video). Someone told me there was a thread on here about the piano, so I read the comments. I had forgotten that I had an account on here because it's been several years since I've posted, but I was able to sign in, so here we are.

I glanced through the comments on the post you linked to and am trying to piece together the best that I can of that. Here's what I can tell you: when I was a kid (as in, literally from when I was 11-14 years old or so), I recorded and self-released a few (in retrospect, hilariously crappy) albums that represented the exact kind of musicianship you would expect from a little kid. I even created a Fleetwood Mac fan site in 1997 -- with handcrafted HTML, which was just as rudimentary as you would expect for a Tripod-hosted site in the early days of the internet -- and a lot of the "songs" I wrote as a little kid were inspired by Fleetwood Mac.

One of the songs for one of those albums I made as a kid, which came out when I was 14, used the melody for "The Ledge" as the basis for the song, which had different lyrics, etc. When I published the song through ASCAP (the performing rights society), as would be customary for a song that is not a cover but uses elements of another artist's work, the song was published at that time as a co-write, which included Lindsey as the creator of the melody. This is the same kind of thing that has happened in recent years when successful artists have been later named as co-writers on songs that they weren't involved in writing, because it was determined that a famous song written prior to the new work must have inspired/infringed on the original work. Hell, even one of the most famous songs of all time, "Stairway to Heaven," almost resulted in a co-writing credit for the band Spirit a few years ago.

Anyway, the fact that this song showed as if it was a jointly written song with Lindsey is what I assume started confusion, which is represented in some of those comments from that thread you shared. Remember, I was literally 14 years old at that time, and this was more than 22 years ago. Obviously, I had no relationship with Lindsey Buckingham or any member of Fleetwood Mac. Hell, I was just a freshman in high school. I was recording songs on a 4-track Tascam Portastudio in my parentsÂ’ basement. Ambitious? Yeah, I guess. Good? No.

I assume that some hilarious bastardization of that fact is what sparked claims that I wrote a bunch of songs with Lindsey, but that was not me writing or claiming that. I read that it says that this was for “Gift of Screws,” but that’s obviously someone being a troll on some site. I would have been something like 7 years old when he started recording that album. Obviously, that’s not only not true, but also nonsensical. I didn’t even meet Lindsey for the first time until I was 25.

I am now 36 years old, married, and a father, but alas, I still have not written a song with Lindsey Buckingham, nor do I ever expect to. I have gotten the chance to meet Lindsey on several occasions and have had (non alcoholic, by Lindsey’s choice) drinks on multiple occasions with him and often at least one member of his touring band (either Brett or Neale). These are pretty well documented experiences, but they do not make me a special person, just a lucky guy who was in the right place in the right time. I think there are a handful of us fans who have been in the right place at the right time enough to be a known entity to Lindsey. He knows me on a first name basis but we are not “friends.”
With Christine, I did genuinely have the opportunity to get to know her on a personal level. But when her piano up for sale, what did I have to do? Bid, just like everybody else. With that said, Chris is the only member of Fleetwood Mac whose personal cell number and email address I had. I readily and fairly frequently communicated with Chris and she seemed to genuinely enjoy the opportunity to connect. We even traded Christmas presents, etc., but do I believe I was somebody super special to Chris? No, of course not. But she was such a warm person that if you crossed paths with her on any kind of a regular basis and she felt that you were a genuine person, she took a liking to you. I was very lucky, nothing more than that. The same with Lindsey in recent years.

I donÂ’t know if this does anything to settle whatever beliefs or concerns you or anybody else might have about me, but it is what it is. Best wishes to you.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:25 PM
Ledgie

OK, last reply since I just wrote a long reply to David's message.

Yes, I am the guy in the link you referenced. I am the Co-Founder and CEO of a pet company. As a teenager, I was a musician, but it has been well over 10 years since I have done anything whatsoever in music (and I never did anything substantial as a musician). Through a lot of hard work and discipline (and a few degrees along the way), I have been fortunate to have achieved success in my professional life, which is something I'm very grateful for. Again, I'm not anybody special.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBigLove View Post
OK, last reply since I just wrote a long reply to David's message.

Yes, I am the guy in the link you referenced. I am the Co-Founder and CEO of a pet company. As a teenager, I was a musician, but it has been well over 10 years since I have done anything whatsoever in music (and I never did anything substantial as a musician). Through a lot of hard work and discipline (and a few degrees along the way), I have been fortunate to have achieved success in my professional life, which is something I'm very grateful for. Again, I'm not anybody special.
Thank you for posting the video with the piano and telling the stories. I've watched it several times and hope you put that piece {Christine input on the player piano} to a separate youtube. I love her sensibilities and the sound of that particular piano.

It was like a gift from the heavens.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-17-2023 at 06:33 PM..
Old 01-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyway, the fact that this song showed as if it was a jointly written song with Lindsey is what I assume started confusion, which is represented in some of those comments from that thread you shared.
That’s OK, I understand. A few people used to think I was the CEO of Obie’s Lighting.

Congratulations on your auction win of Christine’s Yamaha! Enjoy it in good health.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-17-2023, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still sniff a bit of revisionist history here...but it is what it is
Old 01-17-2023, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That’s OK, I understand. A few people used to think I was the CEO of Obie’s Lighting.

Congratulations on your auction win of Christine’s Yamaha! Enjoy it in good health.
How is your dad?
Old 01-17-2023, 07:32 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I still sniff a bit of revisionist history here...but it is what it is
Not sure what you mean by revisionist history. That it’s revisionist in the sense that 14 year old me thought my music was good, and now I recognize that it was pretty awful? As young children, all of us want to think we are special, but the reality is far more sobering.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:33 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Thank you for posting the video with the piano and telling the stories. I've watched it several times and hope you put that piece {Christine input on the player piano} to a separate youtube. I love her sensibilities and the sound of that particular piano.

It was like a gift from the heavens.
Thank you for the suggestion. Will do that as soon as I get a chance.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. Will do that as soon as I get a chance.
What you shared was absolutely amazing, and getting to hear Christine's hidden piece and watch the keys brought me so much joy and a pause to my grief. You have no idea how wonderful that was for me. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:36 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
What you shared was absolutely amazing, and getting to hear Christine's hidden piece and watch the keys brought me so much joy and a pause to my grief. You have no idea how wonderful that was for me. Thank you.
Thanks very much. I hope that anyone who bought something in that auction shares as much as they can about what they’ve received. I also really hope that there is some posthumous, new (to us) music that gets released from Chris in the coming years.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks very much. I hope that anyone who bought something in that auction shares as much as they can about what they’ve received. I also really hope that there is some posthumous, new (to us) music that gets released from Chris in the coming years.
Thank you so much for posting tryout video on YouTube, and for posting on here. That was incredibly nice of you to share your experiences with us.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I found your video lovely and extremely moving in its own way.

Very best wishes to you, and enjoy the piano
Old 01-19-2023, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want a piano that automatically plays Sugar Daddy.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 01-19-2023 at 03:02 PM..
Old 01-19-2023, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I want a piano that automatically plays Sugar Daddy.

Until I recently sold much of my musical gear, I'd been working on Sugar Daddy forever. Playing piano only up until, "but when it comes to love", then playing Hammond organ with my left hand, and piano with my right, and doing the leslie speeds with my foot. There's a lot going on in that fantastic song! It's so underrated!!!!