Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Pittsburgh Show 9/7

First time seeing Lindsey solo last night at the Carnegie Music Hall in Munhall and I have to say it was a hell of a show and I am so glad I decided to see him! I've never been overly into his solo stuff but after the shenanigans of 2018 followed by his heart issues and the pandemic, I didn't want to miss this opportunity.

His voice sounded amazing - after the issues with his vocal chords after his heart surgery, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had once made a comment on here a few years ago that I thought his voice was shot and was roasted for it. I will humbly take that back after last night. The man sounded better that I have heard him in years. Much better than on the last Fleetwood Mac tour that I saw in 2014.

The setlist definitely had a lot of songs I was not too familiar with but it flowed very nice and I thought kept the largely boomer crowd (with a few of us in the <50 demographic) interested even if there wasn't the familiarity of a greatest hits 'big machine' set. A couple highlights for me were: Doing What I Can, Trouble (yep, count me as one who loves the way he does this song), Big Love, On the Wrong Side, and I'm So Afraid. The lower key on Second Hand News works beautifully! But really, the whole set was great, energetic, and really representative of his entire body of work. The new songs really all sounded good and got some really strong reaction from the crowd. The man is still creative and while he may never write another Go Your Own Way, he is doing some really good stuff still at 71. It is shameful and pitiful that Fleetwood Mac as an entity isn't benefiting from this creativity in a studio and live setting for nearly 20 years now. Only comment I'd make on the setlist...Countdown is one of my favorite songs of his ever and I would gladly allow him to slow down Never Going Back Again even more if he added it to the set .

The venue is old and quite interesting to say the least. My first time going there and it's not at all what I expected - a huge old library that was more reminiscent of an old school building than a concert venue. The concert hall itself was pretty neat. It worked but my legs and 6' 5" body struggled mightily to adjust my knees in a way that didn't crush them. The sound was generally good and I just love being able to sit and feel like I'm not watching ants or have to see the band on screens only.

Not a fan of the opening act at all. Just not my cup of tea.

I thought the band was tight. Jimmy was great on drums and got a lot of love from the audience. Neale and Brett really complement Lindsey so well and you can sense they really all are a bunch of boys out having a good time playing music. He welcomed Neale back saying that when he last toured solo in 2018, Neale unfortunately couldn't tour with him because he had "another commitment." Lindsey briefly touched on his heart issues as well as calling out the pandemic for screwing up timing of his album and the tour. He seemed very genuine in his appreciation for his audience. One dig at Fleetwood Mac when he mentioned how great it is with these guys as there are no politics in play and they're all out there all focused on putting together a great show. Definitely garnered some laughs from the audience there. On the walk out, I heard nothing but positive comments about the show including one kid telling his Dad "I'm so glad you made me come to this!"

Really glad I went and had the opportunity to see Lindsey outside of the Fleetwood Mac circle!
Old 09-08-2021, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Thanks for your review. I am from the Burgh and thought about going to this show. Approximately how many were in attendance?
Old 09-08-2021, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thanks for your review. I am from the Burgh and thought about going to this show. Approximately how many were in attendance?
I saw very few empty seats so I’d say about 1,000. It’s a small theater. All the years I’ve lived here I had never seen a show there. The tight seating really killed my knees. That’s the only issue for me with seeing artists in these smaller venues. They’re typically designed for people from 100 years ago. I, however, am not.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

really enjoyed your review - and so glad you finally get to experience Lindsey live in all his solo glory!

so much better than FM cashgrabs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"