The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Ledgie

Default nicks against lindsey producing new album?

I read an article that stated nicks agreed to do a new mac album as long as lindsey didnt produce the album.Anyone read this article?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Ledgie

i see this article was posted on rumors board (which I normally dont read)but this still strikes me as odd.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know. I'm a new kid on the block.

My impression is :

They (La Nicks & Mr. B) don't seem to talk to one another. Instead they talk to the press about one another.

We eavesdrop through the press.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
I read an article that stated nicks agreed to do a new mac album as long as lindsey didnt produce the album.Anyone read this article?
The "agreement" was that Stevie would record with FM as long as Lindsey is not the primary producer.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Didnt read the "article" but I like the idea of another producer. I think it will lead to a more collaborative effort from the band.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
It wasn't an article - it was a blog. Nothing is confirmed.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

I reckon it's just cause Stevie doesn't want Lindsey stealing her thunder, however, come the 2009 tour, she'll have nowhere to hide
Old 07-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.W-Suite View Post
I reckon it's just cause Stevie doesn't want Lindsey stealing her thunder, however, come the 2009 tour, she'll have nowhere to hide
I think she should haul out in a red cape during the solo in, say, GYOW and dance her ass off, twirling from one end of the stage to the other.

Let's see whose thunder is stolen then

What she does instead is leave the stage and let him have his moments, which he deserves.

As for LB producing her, I think he, though brilliant in other ways, mostly has lost the touch. I did not like what he did for her on SYW for the most part, save, perhaps, for GB. She, on the other hand greatly enhanced his songs, like the vocal in Miranda, which is just way cool. Many say she ruined Peacekeeper. I agree the solo version is 10 times better than the SYW one, but I cannot say for sure La Nicks is the one who changed the key, etc. But, if that is so, then, yes, she ruined it.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-12-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I think she should haul out in a red cape during the solo in, say, GYOW and dance her ass off, twirling from one end of the stage to the other.
Yeah ... Miss Undulator.

Quote:
What she does instead is leave the stage and let him have his moments, which he deserves.
It's so gracious of her to "let him have his moments"!

Quote:
As for LB producing her, I think he, though brilliant in other ways, mostly has lost the touch.
You're just repeating my views from a long time ago. I said he lost his ear a long time ago.

Quote:
I did not like what he did for her on SYW for the most part, save, perhaps, for GB.
That was bad. Even the mixing on her voice was bad -- it was careless. The gain went up & down, & there was a strange electronic hiss all the way through it. Just awful. The engineering was as botched on that as it was on "Doing the Best I Can."

Quote:
She, on the other hand greatly enhanced his songs, like the vocal in Miranda, which is just way cool.
You must be kidding, but I know deep down you aren't. Stevie's vocals on all those older tracks were both completely unnecessary & irritating.

Quote:
Many say she ruined Peacekeeper.
They all ruined "Peacekeeper," especially when they played it live.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post

As for LB producing her, I think he, though brilliant in other ways, mostly has lost the touch. I did not like what he did for her on SYW for the most part, save, perhaps, for GB. She, on the other hand greatly enhanced his songs, like the vocal in Miranda, which is just way cool. Many say she ruined Peacekeeper. I agree the solo version is 10 times better than the SYW one, but I cannot say for sure La Nicks is the one who changed the key, etc. But, if that is so, then, yes, she ruined it.
Ok, I respect that you may not care for Lindsey's production skills lately. I can see your point with that. Not your thing, totally understand. However, I have to strongly disagree about this "greatly enhanced" part. I have played that album (or parts of it) to gawdknowshowmany of my friends, and each time I play it they make sure and tell me how much they HATE, HATE, HATE the woman singing with LB on his songs and why didn't he just leave her off.

I personally like her there, but then I loved the way those LB songs sounded without Stevie on them. So as far as "greatly enhanced" I can't really see your point...his songs sound great with or without her.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Ok, I respect that you may not care for Lindsey's production skills lately. I can see your point with that. Not your thing, totally understand. However, I have to strongly disagree about this "greatly enhanced" part. I have played that album (or parts of it) to gawdknowshowmany of my friends, and each time I play it they make sure and tell me how much they HATE, HATE, HATE the woman singing with LB on his songs and why didn't he just leave her off.

I personally like her there, but then I loved the way those LB songs sounded without Stevie on them. So as far as "greatly enhanced" I can't really see your point...his songs sound great with or without her.
I think her vocal on Miranda completely changes that song for the better. It gives it a more complex vocal dynamic. Also, on Say Goodbye, she is almost "love gone bad but I want the love back" on a stick. I also think she added on Red Rover, though LB apparently manipulated his voice so he sounds like her at points. I also LOVED this song live.

Peacekeeper is the only song I think she sounds deadful on. The solo version is much better.

In the end, I think they work better live these days. But, who knows -- they certainly have surprised many before.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
. . . They all ruined "Peacekeeper," especially when they played it live.

It was horrifying live. He cared little for his pitch and she looked like she wanted to watch her socks dry instead

I did, however, love her vocals on Miranda and Red Rover. I thought they made his already good songs more complex.

But, to each their own.

Also, are you calling La Nicks a wiggler

Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . That was bad. Even the mixing on her voice was bad -- it was careless. The gain went up & down, & there was a strange electronic hiss all the way through it. Just awful. The engineering was as botched on that as it was on "Doing the Best I Can" . . . .

That production aspect aside, I thought he broke down the basic structure of two chord demo and produced a very whistful sound. And, he realized her voice could not reach the value of the one in the demo so he made it like a lullaby. I am sure she had huge imput as well in that though.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . It's so gracious of her to "let him have his moments"! . . . .

I think it is. I think you think that is snotty of her. I think she learned a long time ago that she could steal focus without even really trying and it pissed off the other members. So, I think she learned that was not a nice thing to do and adjusted her antics accordingly. Anyone in a band knows everyone has to kind of do that to a degree and the one who stands out the most must make a conscious effort to tone it down at an inappropriate part. How can that be a bad thing?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Below is the text from a post of mine from a month or so ago.

Lindsey to me has always been a master craftsman of songs. In his recent work I personally hear a loss of that wonderful songcraft he has such a gift for. To me it is a combination of things. Guitar playing that was too out front compared to what the song called for. (Songs on Say You Will) A degradation of his vocals that have left some songs whispered instead of sung. (Much of UTS) Use of dated vocal processing effects particulary in the choruses of songs. Engineering choices that leave songs feeling sterile and muted. Finally the songs themselves. While no doubt Lindsey has improved as a lyricist, I hear a lack of melody and a definite lack of hooks more often than not in his more recent song output.

I am not convinced Lindsey has lost this gift and I think an outside co-producer to work with Lindsey and the band may be able to harness and redirect some of Lindsey's creative ideas.