User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Storms and Hypnotized, 2 of my favorite FM songs that I would have loved to have seen performed, were maybe too slow for the crowd, I don't know. My point is, there wasn’t a mass exodus for the bathroom whenever Neil took the lead... it really just depended on the song rather than who was singing it. At least that was my experience when I saw them live.
Did you not see Mac live in 2009? They did Storms that tour.

I think Stevie got bored of doing it in 2018. It really is a dull song. Even though Gypsy's done every tour, she can bop to it. Angel or Beautiful Child wouldve been better.

I agree DDIO was loved by the crowds in the shows I went to. I Got You there may've been some people walking, but not sections of people!
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember them opening with In the Back of my mind in Pittsburgh. I absolutely loved it as an opener. I actually enjoyed the shows with Billy and Rick in the band. I remember at the time not being that upset that Lindsey had left the band. Probably because I was such a Stevie fan and Lindsey had made his choice. I would like to have seen a few more albums with Stevie, Rick and Billy. I think the music the band made on Behind the Mask was really good.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 05-14-2021, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I remember them opening with In the Back of my mind in Pittsburgh. I absolutely loved it as an opener. I actually enjoyed the shows with Billy and Rick in the band. I remember at the time not being that upset that Lindsey had left the band. Probably because I was such a Stevie fan and Lindsey had made his choice. I would like to have seen a few more albums with Stevie, Rick and Billy. I think the music the band made on Behind the Mask was really good.
Oh me too, me too. That album seemed like the beginning of something great.

Hoping Mick's ongoing Dadaism project sees more Rick/Bekka type collaborations.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My feelings too. They really worked well together as 6-piece group and I did not miss Lindsey at all, I was eager to hear what music would pop up to fill the time he would have taken up on albums and concert sets.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I was at that show. I had seats behind Christine. If you remember, the concert was supposed to be in July at the (new) Starlake Amphitheater. I had great seats for that show but it was rescheduled to November that year. Glad they kept the date. Like you, I found this concert one of my all time favorites if not all time favorite Mac show. I like and prefer Lindsey much more but there was something magical about the band playing and promoting new music that featured all of them together. Chris was the ring leader because too many other members had issues.
Sadly if you remember, the arena had the entire balcony empty and they probably played to a house of about 9,000 people

Trivia question: Do you remember who Stevie dedicated Landslide to that night? I don't remember the actual name but will give you credit who it was in Stevie's life.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Did you not see Mac live in 2009? They did Storms that tour.

I think Stevie got bored of doing it in 2018. It really is a dull song. Even though Gypsy's done every tour, she can bop to it. Angel or Beautiful Child wouldve been better.

I agree DDIO was loved by the crowds in the shows I went to. I Got You there may've been some people walking, but not sections of people!
I did see that tour, I checked and that was their Unleashed tour, where they focused on their hits. I do remember she performed Storms then, and she did a great job. It has a Landslide-gravitas to it, but since it’s not near as well known to casual FM fans as Landslide is, I don’t think the audience appreciates it as much. Such a beautiful song, as is Beautiful Child. The audience in 2019 didn’t seem to like it as much as the audience in 2009 did, sadly.

I think, like most performers, Stevie reacts to the crowd. If the audience was digging Storms, than she reacted and responded to that; if the audience wasn’t digging the song, she probably got frustrated. I would say that’s what happened with Storms on the last tour.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The audience in 2019 didn’t seem to like it as much as the audience in 2009 did, sadly.
She also didn't sing it well in 2018. It didn't have the fire. She sang it incredibly on Unleashed. She was going so high on that song, higher than the album version.

DID I EVER REALLY CARE THAT MU-UCH?

That song in 09 was worth price of admission. She also looked liked a Goddess in the red dress
Old 05-14-2021, 08:11 PM

The Behind the Mask Tour was a fantastic concert for me. I was at the edge of my seat and even standing with the crowd with these song choices.

The crowd didn't seem to care about hits or not. They were just playing with so much energy and charisma that the audience responded. People are constantly smoking, drinking and going to restrooms during shows. It's. a rock concert. And like Mac said, Christine was the ring leader. She and Billy were driving the show.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This thread had me curious about the setlist for the BTM tour, so I checked and was surprised to see that early on, FM only played 2 songs from that album- Save Me and Stand on the Rock. A few dates in, they added In the Back of My Mind near the end in this order- Landslide, Everywhere, ITBOMM, Stand on the Rock, Little Lies, and Stand Back. They removed ITBOMM from the setlist for a few dates and then in late July brought it back as the opener.

Finally, in November, near the last month of their tour, they added Love is Dangerous and Say You Love Me, but removed Save Me. The website actually says they performed Save Me through the end of the tour, but I was at the show in Cincinnati and I can say with 100% certainty they DID NOT.

Notable takeaways; I’m surprised they started of the tour performing only 2 songs from the BTM album. Maybe the album hadn’t been released yet. Then they added the full version of ITBOMM midway into the set, which I’d love to see/hear.
But even then, that was only 3 songs! Also, even after Skies the Limit was chosen as the second single, they didn’t add it to the set, another surprise. I’m also really surprised they even bothered to to tweak the set for the last month of shows by dropping Save Me and adding Love is Dangerous. I was thrilled I got to see them sing Love is Dangerous, but bummed to miss out on Save Me.

They really should have performed ITBOMM, Save Me, Skies the Limit, Stand on the Rock, Do You Know, and Love is Dangerous. The section of the show where they performed Landslide would have been the perfect place for Christine and Billy to perform Do You Know.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Save Me was swapped for Say You Love Me towards the end of the Farewell Tour. The Farewell Tour started in Gainesville Florida in mid October 1990 and finished in Oakland, CA. The American dates cancelled when Chris's father passed were made up during this time. Save Me is played in Gainesville (its on youtube) but when I saw the tour a month later in Pittsburgh, it was replaced with Say You Love Me. However, they still played the following songs from BTM: ITBOMM, Stand On The Rock, and Love is Dangerous.

For those who have not seen the opening when the masks come up and reveal the band, here is a good video from Miami that shows that. I hope no one was tripping on acid because those masks would terrify you. Clip also shows Save Me being performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KuQ1uGMlZo&t=2s

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-15-2021 at 06:19 AM..
Old 05-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also, as you pointed out yourself, Storms was dropped because of the lackluster audience response, and Stevie sang that song. So people probably went to the bathroom then as well.
I don't remember a lackluster response or people going to the bathroom during Storms at the Unleashed tour Dallas 2009, but I was at first front row so I don't know what happened at grandstands where sure there were more "casual fans".

I do remember I went to the bathroom during Go Insane in NYC 1997, because (though I like the song) it was the least interesting to me for a FM concert. And because of the several beers I drank.

The following concerts I went, I changed several beers for a few Chardonnays, and didn't miss any song.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I don't remember a lackluster response or people going to the bathroom during Storms at the Unleashed tour Dallas 2009, but I was at first front row so I don't know what happened at grandstands where sure there were more "casual fans".

I do remember I went to the bathroom during Go Insane in NYC 1997, because (though I like the song) it was the least interesting to me for a FM concert. And because of the several beers I drank.
And Stevie never dropped Storms during Unleashed.

I'm recalling people leaving their seats during Go Insane on Unleashed.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And Stevie never dropped Storms during Unleashed.

I'm recalling people leaving their seats during Go Insane on Unleashed.
If I’m remembering correctly, weren’t Go Insane and Big Love played one after the other during that tour, and with Christine and Stevie, and maybe even John and Mick, off the stage? Both songs have a similar vibe, so that might be some of the reasons folks went for a break at that time.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She also didn't sing it well in 2018. It didn't have the fire. She sang it incredibly on Unleashed. She was going so high on that song, higher than the album version.

DID I EVER REALLY CARE THAT MU-UCH?

That song in 09 was worth price of admission. She also looked liked a Goddess in the red dress
I just watched both versions on YouTube, and I have to say visually, she looked better in that red dress in 2009, but vocally I preferred her 2018 performance. Both were good, but I liked her inflections more this last time. So frustrating they dropped Storms for Gypsy.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just watched both versions on YouTube, and I have to say visually, she looked better in that red dress in 2009, but vocally I preferred her 2018 performance. Both were good, but I liked her inflections more this last time. So frustrating they dropped Storms for Gypsy.
I'm glad you enjoyed the 2018 performance. I prefer the high notes of 2009.

It is frustrating. I think Gypsy should have been in rather than Tell Me All the Things. Then we would've gotten both Storms and Gypsy.

I miss Beautiful Child too. Such a great musical piece for a band to play.