User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Yeah, those refilmed closeups of Stevie are horrible, and unnecessary, to boot. Does anyone else remember when MTV aired a special about this concert, before it was shown on Showtime? It aired several songs, including the Chain, without the closeups.

Which reminds me, my wish list would include that MTV special!
I think I have it somewhere.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We must have been separated at birth. I also was a huge fan but the floating camera constantly in Stevie's face got really annoying fast. I was 17 and was dumb to not know it was lip synced.
Worst part during this era IMHO was Gold Dust Woman with her long 80's earrings and the constant "OH YEAHS"

Dig your grave OH YEAH
Pick your path and I'll pray OH YEAH
Maybe Stevie was a big fan of The Macho Man Randy Savage? He was pretty popular at the time.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Of course album sales were way declining by the time SYW came around. I actually liked a few songs on the album. Behind the mask (the song) is just as good as anything else they've ever done. Of course LB is on it though.

I'd like to hear a stripped back version of Behind The Mask without the silly sound effects. I'm sure its a great song but the 'swoosh' sounds have always put me off. Just cant listen to the song.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, those refilmed closeups of Stevie are horrible, and unnecessary, to boot.
A friend of mine was at the TITN Los Angeles concert, and she told me Stevie was even worse, looked like a sleepwalker. Now I've learned those were the Klonopin days. It makes a lot of sense why she looked like that.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I do remember the MTV special without the close ups. There are interviews with the band during parts of the Chain. I was floored that Stevie did not have make up on or was not made up in the interviews. She looked so different.
I saw the tour early and there were no signs of klonopin (yet). She was more reserved than RAL tour but it was to be expected since it was not her solo concert. I saw Stevie play frisbee with the audience. There was some woman getting kicked out of the concert about 20 rows back. Security or police were physically removing her and this happened when Stevie was singing Rhiannon. She kept her eyes on the fight even as the woman was out the door. Her voice was in better shape than RAL too.
In 1989 TOSOM tour, Stevie was a complete zombie. It was so bad that the local paper reviewed the concert and actually asked her reps why she moved so little during the concert. I wish I had the review to post. Stevie's reps stated that she recently broke her foot and was favoring it by not moving.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-28-2018 at 03:40 AM..
Old 09-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

The only thing worthwhile about that special was that performance of Isn't It Midnight IMO. It's not filmed nearly as horribly as "Dreams" or "Everywhere" and Stevie's additions actually add something (her backing vocals are mixed well and her "The face of a pretty girl" line after the first chorus is excellent). It's got great energy, the percussion was tastefully added, Christine sounds great (even if they added that weird double layer processing to it), and Vito rips with the solo. As much as I love how atmospheric the album track is, I wish there was studio version of the song performed the way they did it on this video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9GIjhLZvIw)

Seven Wonders wasn't *terrible* either but it was performed better at other shows on that tour.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 09-29-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
The only thing worthwhile about that special was that performance of Isn't It Midnight IMO. It's not filmed nearly as horribly as "Dreams" or "Everywhere" and Stevie's additions actually add something (her backing vocals are mixed well and her "The face of a pretty girl" line after the first chorus is excellent). It's got great energy, the percussion was tastefully added, Christine sounds great (even if they added that weird double layer processing to it), and Vito rips with the solo. As much as I love how atmospheric the album track is, I wish there was studio version of the song performed the way they did it on this video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9GIjhLZvIw)

Seven Wonders wasn't *terrible* either but it was performed better at other shows on that tour.
I loves IIM and Seven Wonders on this tour. They did a great job. Lots of energy.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I did not love that GDW at all, either.
Ya think Lindsey would have allowed those cringe inducing (almost like Stevie's selfies) close ups? NO Or the Oh yeahs on GDW....NO.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We must have been separated at birth. I also was a huge fan but the floating camera constantly in Stevie's face got really annoying fast. I was 17 and was dumb to not know it was lip synced.
Worst part during this era IMHO was Gold Dust Woman with her long 80's earrings and the constant "OH YEAHS"

Dig your grave OH YEAH
Pick your path and I'll pray OH YEAH
I have never seen this video, it sounds like it is a horrid performance!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I have never seen this video, it sounds like it is a horrid performance!
Despite what others say, it's definitely worth checking out, as a relic if nothing else of when editors had a very misguided view of what was appropriate for a concert video. There's one great performance, a *few* decent songs (with caveats) and a bunch of crappers.

Worth it for:

Isn't It Midnight: I detailed why I love this version of this song in an earlier post in this thread. Always makes my "best of" Mac playlists.

Seven Wonders: The only song Stevie didn't butcher. It almost benefits from the chiller Klonopin vocals.

The Chain: A decent rendition of this song. Billy doesn't do bad with Lindsey's parts and Stevie's additions are fine. Chris is inaudible though.

Songbird: Ditto

Little Lies: A bit lacking in energy but probably the best pro-shot recording we have of this song since it wasn't performed that often until recently.

I Loved Another Woman: Vito does this old song justice, even if it seems out of place next to literally everything else in the set. The editing does it's best to suck the energy out of the song too.

and NOT worth if for.:

Dreams: Such a lazy performance of this song, and the editing is especially heinous. There are far better performances of this song, even in the Klonopin era.

World Turning: Instead of a drum solo it has Mick playing with that MIDI sound vest. Pass.

Gold Dust Woman: See previous posts.

Oh Well: Not a fan of Billy as a singer so this is purely personal preference. It is musically performed well though.

Stand Back: This song is never performed *terribly* but when literally every recording is better vocally and musically, this one doesn't have much of a reason to exist. Fleetwood Mac adds nothing interesting here.

Everywhere: The editing on this is horrible but the song itself is done well and Christine sounds fine. The ISSUE is that the chorus is ruined (imo) by Stevie rudely interjecting "I WANNA BE WITH YOU" out of time with Chris, like a gopher poking it's head out of a hole to ruin your day and immediately disappear. It disrupts the flow/groove of the song so badly it's almost funny.

Don't Stop: It's only a partial recording and it's played over the credits. Lame.

It's a shame the unedited performance isn't available, as the removal of that editing may help the viewing experience. Also the cut performance of Brown Eyes is a damn shame as it was performed so well on this tour. Other cut performances include SYLM, Blue Letter, Rattlesnake Shake, Over My Head, Don't Let Me Down Again, HAEWAFY, You Make Loving Fun, and GYOW. Rhiannon and Gypsy were dropped by this point in the tour.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 10-08-2018 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stand Back: This song is never performed *terribly* but when literally every recording is better vocally and musically, this one doesn't have much of a reason to exist. Fleetwood Mac adds nothing interesting here.
This was pretty much the only thing I disagreed with you on- I think this version sounds fantastic, and is certainly my favorite live recording of the song. Rick sounds great, too.

I also wish the full concert could be released, but it won't happen
Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This was pretty much the only thing I disagreed with you on- I think this version sounds fantastic, and is certainly my favorite live recording of the song. Rick sounds great, too.

I also wish the full concert could be released, but it won't happen
I love this version of Stand Back, too, but I think the Live in Boston version beats it just barely. The bongo intro and how upbeat it is always makes me groove. Plus, the energy bursting from it is unmatched in my eyes. It just goes off once it fully starts.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
I love this version of Stand Back, too, but I think the Live in Boston version beats it just barely. The bongo intro and how upbeat it is always makes me groove. Plus, the energy bursting from it is unmatched in my eyes. It just goes off once it fully starts.
I would agree with this. I may have a lower opinion than most people on the Tango tour version- there's nothing wrong about it but there's no stand out moments either imo. I'm curious as to what other people like about it, maybe I'm missing something?

Now I CAN get behind the Live in Boston version! Her vocals are on fire, the bongo intro is very well done, Lindsey on guitar kicks ass... there's just so much energy. It totally justifies putting the song in the mac set-list (controversial opinion, even if it did wear out its welcome).

Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Despite what others say, it's definitely worth checking out, as a relic if nothing else of when editors had a very misguided view of what was appropriate for a concert video. There's one great performance, a *few* decent songs (with caveats) and a bunch of crappers.

Worth it for:

Isn't It Midnight: I detailed why I love this version of this song in an earlier post in this thread. Always makes my "best of" Mac playlists.

Seven Wonders: The only song Stevie didn't butcher. It almost benefits from the chiller Klonopin vocals.

The Chain: A decent rendition of this song. Billy doesn't do bad with Lindsey's parts and Stevie's additions are fine. Chris is inaudible though.

Songbird: Ditto

Little Lies: A bit lacking in energy but probably the best pro-shot recording we have of this song since it wasn't performed that often until recently.

I Loved Another Woman: Vito does this old song justice, even if it seems out of place next to literally everything else in the set. The editing does it's best to suck the energy out of the song too.

and NOT worth if for.:

Dreams: Such a lazy performance of this song, and the editing is especially heinous. There are far better performances of this song, even in the Klonopin era.

World Turning: Instead of a drum solo it has Mick playing with that MIDI sound vest. Pass.

Gold Dust Woman: See previous posts.

Oh Well: Not a fan of Billy as a singer so this is purely personal preference. It is musically performed well though.

Everywhere: The editing on this is horrible but the song itself is done well and Christine sounds fine. The ISSUE is that the chorus is ruined (imo) by Stevie rudely interjecting "I WANNA BE WITH YOU" out of time with Chris, like a gopher poking it's head out of a hole to ruin your day and immediately disappear. It disrupts the flow/groove of the song so badly it's almost funny.

Don't Stop: It's only a partial recording and it's played over the credits. Lame.

It's a shame the unedited performance isn't available, as the removal of that editing may help the viewing experience. Also the cut performance of Brown Eyes is a damn shame as it was performed so well on this tour. Other cut performances include SYLM, Blue Letter, Rattlesnake Shake, Over My Head, Don't Let Me Down Again, HAEWAFY, You Make Loving Fun, and GYOW. Rhiannon and Gypsy were dropped by this point in the tour.
Ha Ha. You made me have a flashback from 1988. I was 18 and playing this concert from the VCR. During Everywhere when Stevie does her "I wanna be with you". My sister was in another room and thought it was my mom singing along. LMAO
Then she said, "oh that's Stevie coming in late.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
What I love about the song is the late 80's Stevie's trademark "Standin in it" As the song already ended. She does not sound drunk like during Red Rocks.