Default Lindsey on Marc Maron

Click here

I'm going to listen now!

Marc was great in Joker.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for sharing it.

For those who want to maintain their sanity: Lindsey's interview starts at the 10:30 minute mark.

Edit: Even the interview itself is hard to listen to. He doesn't give Lindsey a chance to answer before jumping in with the next question. Upon establishing that Lindsey's father died of a heart attack, he asks Lindsey whether he's been for a check-up recently! He also thinks Lindsey left after Tusk and had to recover from alcoholism. And that Stevie wrote YMLF.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 07-29-2021 at 08:31 AM..
Old 07-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So hard to listen to, despite the fact that Lindsey seems to be in a very good mood, mellow, and not over-intellectualizing his answers.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Thanks for sharing it.

For those who want to maintain their sanity: Lindsey's interview starts at the 10:30 minute mark.

Edit: Even the interview itself is hard to listen to. He doesn't give Lindsey a chance to answer before jumping in with the next question. Upon establishing that Lindsey's father died of a heart attack, he asks Lindsey whether he's been for a check-up recently! He also thinks Lindsey left after Tusk and had to recover from alcoholism. And that Stevie wrote YMLF.
yeah Maron was never the best listener (comics often are too busy thinking of what they're going to say next or how to make a joke) but he's gotten worse over time. He's done like 6 million of these interviews and probably everyone starts to sound pretty similar but geez..... do SOME homework, or have an assistant give you an effing briefing. He also plays guitar a little, and fancies himself part of the guitarist club.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-29-2021 at 04:21 PM..
Old 07-30-2021, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

i just listened. i really really enjoyed that! i enjoyed Marc Marron making it so conversational and making Lindsey stop and get away from his normal cycletalk and having to actually answer some questions off the cuff. it was very refreshing.

i like it also that he's obviously keeping in touch with Judd Appatow, Fred Armisen, and that whole crew. i have long been convinced that Fred Arnisen was the one who cooked up recurring LB on what's up with that and that he's a long time fan of LB's music. so i love that they all seem to keep chatting and hanging out and keeping in touch.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-30-2021, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoyed the interview, too.
It was nice to hear Lindsey talking without using his go to vocabulary.
He only mentioned the big machine once.

There will definitely be some kind of final concert(s) from what he was saying…
Old 07-30-2021, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
There will definitely be some kind of final concert(s) from what he was saying…
Sue, I disagree here. He said he didn't know if a reunion was doable.
Recall he said he wants Stevie to be happy which was in the context of Marc saying it would've been horrible if Stevie hadn't reached out to him after his bypass.

He knows Stevie being happy is never seeing him again.

It's too bad Fed Pol won't be on the LB tour.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Sue, I disagree here. He said he didn't know if a reunion was doable.
Recall he said he wants Stevie to be happy which was in the context of Marc saying it would've been horrible if Stevie hadn't reached out to him after his bypass.

He knows Stevie being happy is never seeing him again.

It's too bad Fed Pol won't be on the LB tour.
You’re right…he did say whether a reunion was doable…??
I’ve just got a feeling that a reunion of sorts will take place…
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I’ve just got a feeling that a reunion of sorts will take place…
Maybe he could wear a dog collar, and $tevie could have him on a leash.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Maybe he could wear a dog collar, and $tevie could have him on a leash.

Maybe Stevie could be zoomed, and wouldn’t have to get onstage with Lindsey.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question

I actually liked this interview a lot. Maron is at times unlistenable, but like many have said, his approach drew a lot more interesting stuff from Lindsey, and, more importantly, gave me, at least, a better vibe for how Lindsey is doing these days.

It seems like he's trying to work out the issues in his marriage and maybe has some tension with one (or more) of the kids in the teen/20s years -- that does happen, especially if there is conflict between the parents (and over the years, their mom has been the more present one as LB has toured a lot).

I loved the vibe that LB (and his family) are part of that whole Apatow/Largo scene with Armisen and Maron and all those creative people. I don't live in LA, but I love so many of the Largo regulars (Jon Brion, Aimee Mann), and it warms my heart to see LB in the thick of that really creative, interesting crowd. One of the best shows I ever saw was more than 20 years ago -- Jon Brion at Largo (on Fairfax) where Neil Finn showed up and played requests (including That's What I Call Love on the first CH album where NF was calling out the chord changes for the band -- amazing).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure LB was and can still be challenging to get along with, especially when it comes to making musical decisions (I would love to see less processing on his vocals, but he's not budging!). But he spoke about Mick, and so many of the other folks he came up with (Javier, Waddy, Keith) with real warmth, and even made a point not to get into anything about Stevie other than wishing her well. I'm not sure I agree with the level of forgiveness or tolerance he has for Mick/Christine, frankly, because I was around for the post-Tango period where they both gave media interviews (and Mick's book) that really put Lindsey down. But I don't know these people and I don't have 43 years with them, so that's his choice.

I always felt his statements about protecting the legacy of FM were kind of publicist speak, but somehow hearing him talk about it this time really hit home for me. I was never someone who thought that all was patched up during The Dance and that the band was all hunky dory. But somehow, this last firing opened the door on seeing just how dysfunctional it continued to be for most of the last 24 years (to say nothing of the 20 years before), and it really did tarnish the legacy for me. I am left very cynical about the band and anything they do going forward. They sold us all on this being about family and relationships and love and anger and forgiveness and all those things for so many years, that realizing that it was mostly about money makes it hard for me to get behind now. At least The Eagles never pretended it was anything else.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there was a lot of good stuff, but there were times esp when talking about the BN days where I wanted to smack Mark to STFU and let LB finish a thought

Like he started to say several times "I think back on those days and.." and he'd get cut off with "When did Mick start effing Stevie?" (i'm paraphrasing)

it seemed like he finally got his thought out after umpteen tries and was saying that it all seems sort if predestined or something.

he also started to say something about how supportive his parents were and Maron blabbed right over it.. he started to say "my parents were so supportive that...." and I'm guessing he was going to say that they were so supportive they let the band rehearse at his house (didn't I hear him say that somewhere else?)

Marc doesn't listen a lot he just asks inane questions or talks to show how smart he is. If this weren't LB I wouldn't have stayed with it.

Lindsey was oddly super super reluctant in the discussion of what happened with the band. "Someone didn't want to work with me anymore" "Someone did x" He did work in the comment that other people were "weak". He very quickly acknowledged that he'd asked for some time to tour his solo stuff but then got very blurry and unclear about what all else happened.... And then "someone said they didn't ever want to work with me again"

Curiously he did refer to Mick as his "soulmate" which seemed a bit....much to me. And kind of funny since Stevie has said that about Mick and her as well.

When talking about his relationship with stevie in the early days prior to FM he kinda weaved and bobbed around specifics but talked abut they had some problems even then and there were some......and then he did a few long pauses...... before saying there were some "disappointments" in the relationship but then they got back together anyway and clearly he was referencing her stepping out on him with other people.

There were a couple of quotes I wanted to run past the group to hear people's thoughts but didn't have time.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-30-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Old 07-30-2021, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Lindsey was oddly super super reluctant in the discussion of what happened with the band. He very quickly acknowledged that he'd asked for some time to tour his solo stuff but then got very blurry and unclear about what all else happened.... And then "someone said they didn't ever want to work with me again"
Having read the UNCUT interview before I listened to this, I gather the "what all else happened" is after Stevie was told he wanted to tour his solo project, she probably said to him or to others that Lindsey doesn't get to delay our plans and say when FM can tour. She probably said you all ride my coattails because I put butts in the seats so I say when we can tour.
Lindsey probably shot back and told her that she didn't get to be Stevie Nicks in capital letters on her own because only he, Stevie's parents, and Tom ever talked to her that way. Iovine talked tough to her but when's the last time he worked with her?
Stevie holds a grudge so she probably let these comments made sizzle in her mind and kept thinking of a way to get him fired. She documented his every move at MusiCares, found something to be offended by, then called Irving
Old 07-30-2021, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A funny line, from the interview
Marc Marin, says…”so you used a drum machine ?” and he continued….
.”is that because Mick was trashed “..
Lindsey replied ..Er No..
Old 07-31-2021, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
When talking about his relationship with stevie in the early days prior to FM he kinda weaved and bobbed around specifics but talked abut they had some problems even then.
Can't recall where, but Stevie said somehere that their relationship was on the rocks even so far back as when they joined FM.