The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie’s vocals are on Little Lies and Everywhere and I still believe maybe deep in the mix of Mystified and Family Man. He does a great job on the title track and You and I with his “ Nicks tricks”
Old 04-30-2022, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Stevie capitulated in front of the whole band, and we gleefully layered her vocals into the mix of the album
Sounds like wishful thinking, on both counts. Thanks for the quote.
I note that Mick and his ghost writer do not specify that her voice was added to the Everywhere track per se, or that the attempt to do so became the final product. Yes, it can be implied from the context, but maybe the author deliberately used the obfuscatory phrase "album" here instead of "song/track".

If anyone ever detects the layer on which her vocals were mixed into Everywhere, please point it out to me. Maybe she tried adding that "Wanna be with you" part that she ended up singing in the concerts, but it was ultimately gleefully removed from the album mix at Christine's discretion, after the stormy altercation with Stevie had passed.

I could definitely see Stevie's cameo in Little Lies being something that was added in after the fact, to mollify her and avoid the scenario she raised of the truth of her non-participation being found out.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Sounds like wishful thinking, on both counts. Thanks for the quote.
I note that Mick and his ghost writer do not specify that her voice was added to the Everywhere track per se, or that the attempt to do so became the final product. Yes, it can be implied from the context, but maybe the author deliberately used the obfuscatory phrase "album" here instead of "song/track".

If anyone ever detects the layer on which her vocals were mixed into Everywhere, please point it out to me. Maybe she tried adding that "Wanna be with you" part that she ended up singing in the concerts, but it was ultimately gleefully removed from the album mix at Christine's discretion, after the stormy altercation with Stevie had passed.

I could definitely see Stevie's cameo in Little Lies being something that was added in after the fact, to mollify her and avoid the scenario she raised of the truth of her non-participation being found out.
That totally makes sense. The album was released and in stores in April 1987. She showed up January 1987. Thats not much time. We know Welcome To The Room Sara was recorded and probably when the insert of the Little Lies part as added.
This could explain Mick's quote about her voice being "layerd in." Little Lies was probably a finished project and they cut her parts and "layered" them in. It actually worked to have a double backing vocal in some strange way. Little Lies is the only song on the entire album that sounds like an entire group effort. You can hear everyone playing and singing. Sadly its the only track though. I used to hear Stevie on Everywhere and Family Man but I dont anymore after I saw the light

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-30-2022 at 04:36 AM..
Old 04-30-2022, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Right, the exact quote at Mick's first book was:
"All right, maybe I wasn't able to get to the studio that much, but how is it going to look when the record comes out and I might have to tell Rolling Stone that I didn't work on it?"
I don't get their premise but I wish them all the best!
Old 04-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Little Lies is the only song on the entire album that sounds like an entire group effort. You can hear everyone playing and singing. Sadly its the only track though.
I’m pretty sure that also applies to 7W and WTTR…S.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-30-2022, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The remix versions of the singles shed no light on the subject. Remix of singles happen when Warner Brothers is polishing up the album for release and promotion. These were probably done around the same time they filmed the videos. If anything, IMHO the remixes show how much Stevie did not sing on the album tracks.
My understanding of the club remixes (the 12-inch House on the Hill dub and Piano dub and all that nonsense) is that a third party (Arthur Baker, Jellybean Benitez) grabs the rough mixes and deliberately alters levels and tempos and all that for a club or dance ambience. The only thing they might actually add is a drum machine. So all that caterwauling we hear of Stevie on those remixes is FROM the sessions, and the band opted not to use those tracks on the album. When Lindsey or someone else says that he didn’t “use” or that he removed some Nicks vocals, he means that he didn’t use them for the album — and that’s true. That’s why we don’t hear reckless caterwauling background vocals from Stevie all over the album. They were recorded but avoided, leaving the club remix guys to pull them in again.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-30-2022, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I note that Mick and his ghost writer do not specify that her voice was added to the Everywhere track per se, or that the attempt to do so became the final product.
Yeah, she may have bitched a bit, been allowed to record some backup vocals, split, and then the others listened to it and thought, “We don’t want that on this.”

That’s my hunch about the sessions for Tango. Some people recorded some things during moments of minimal consciousness — namely Mick, Stevie, and possibly even John — and then the production and engineering staff (Lindsey, Christine, Richard, Greg) listened to the results and figured they had better not keep a lot of that alcohol-fueled garbage on the album. I can imagine that certain members of the band listened to the album when it was ready for mastering and wondered why their drug-addled tracks were inaudible. When you’re stoned, it sounds a lot better than it does months later during your brief sobriety.

That’s why I call Tango the Little White Lies album: I can almost hear Lindsey and Chris stuttering a bit and trying to casually tell the others, “Yeah, we looked and looked and we can’t find those tracks,” or “You never actually recorded that — you had a family emergency that day.”

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-30-2022, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FM as a band quit sounding like a band with the release of Tusk. Solo Lindsey songs mixed in with Stevie and Christine’s songs. Mirage had a little bit more of the band feel than Tusk, but Tango went right back to the previous formula, with solo Lindsey songs mixed in with Christine and Stevie’s songs. Now whether that was because Stevie was away on a tour or didn’t sound good, who knows, but Behind the Mask was the first FM album that sounded like a cohesive FM album since Rumours.

It’s pretty sad when you have to try to figure out whether Christine was playing keyboards on Lindsey’s songs on Tusk, or if Stevie was singing back up on Tango. Same problem with the “duet” Buck/Vie album, which was the same thing as Say You Will- two solo albums clumped together with little intermingling of the two singers.

So glad we could hear all four singers on Save Me, Skies the Limit, Stand on the Rock, etc.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
It’s pretty sad when you have to try to figure out whether Christine was playing keyboards on Lindsey’s songs on Tusk, or if Stevie was singing back up on Tango. Same problem with the “duet” Buck/Vie album, which was the same thing as Say You Will- two solo albums clumped together with little intermingling of the two singers.

So glad we could hear all four singers on Save Me, Skies the Limit, Stand on the Rock, etc.
I thought SYW was a great blend of Stevie and Lindsey. I'm trying to think of isolated, solo songs. I had heard Stevie didn't want to be near "Come". I love Mick on that song.
I guess Stevie isn't on Red Rover. Though when they sang it live she was on it and she sounded great. Stevie's not on Murrow Turning Over in His Grave
But I think WTWCT, Everybody Finds Out, Destiny Rules, Miranda, Peacekeeper, Steal Your Heart Away, Not Make Believe, Silver Girl are band fire to me.

Just curious: how many more copies did BTM sell than SYW worldwide? BTM was # 1 in the UK
Old 04-30-2022, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I thought SYW was a great blend of Stevie and Lindsey. I'm trying to think of isolated, solo songs. I had heard Stevie didn't want to be near "Come". I love Mick on that song.
I guess Stevie isn't on Red Rover. Though when they sang it live she was on it and she sounded great. Stevie's not on Murrow Turning Over in His Grave
But I think WTWCT, Everybody Finds Out, Destiny Rules, Miranda, Peacekeeper, Steal Your Heart Away, Not Make Believe, Silver Girl are band fire to me.

Just curious: how many more copies did BTM sell than SYW worldwide? BTM was # 1 in the UK
Last I heard, Behind the Mask went platinum, Say You Will went gold.

You’re probably to right about the songs that feature both singers, but 8 songs out of 18 is disappointing to me. The songs I like the most from Say You Will are the ones where you can hear both Lindsey and Stevie together. Their harmonies are so beautiful, even without Christine.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Last I heard, Behind the Mask went platinum, Say You Will went gold.

You’re probably to right about the songs that feature both singers, but 8 songs out of 18 is disappointing to me. The songs I like the most from Say You Will are the ones where you can hear both Lindsey and Stevie together. Their harmonies are so beautiful, even without Christine.
Illume, Thrown Down, Say Goodbye are nice Lindsey and Stevie harmony songs too.

That's amazing that BTM sold 1 million plus. They toured the heck out of SYW for 135 shows and it only sold 500k total
Old 04-30-2022, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Illume, Thrown Down, Say Goodbye are nice Lindsey and Stevie harmony songs too.

That's amazing that BTM sold 1 million plus. They toured the heck out of SYW for 135 shows and it only sold 500k total
SYW was 13 years later. That have to be one difference too.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, let me order it...

- Tango In The Night started as a project between Lindsey and Christine, after Chris was called for an OMS or stuff, and Lindsey had the idea of a third solo album...Christine asked Lindsey, John and Mick to join. This was in 1985. Richard Dashut joined them too.

- The project turned the TITN sessions that year, while Nicks was on tour and releasing RAL. So she was unable to join them, but she sent some demos. At that time, she was on her limit with her addictions, so that's why her voice was not at her best, probably...She sent demos in 1986, because 1985 was a year for her only, as she was with a new album and a new tour coming...

- In 1986, while Nicks was starting her rehab at the Betty Ford Centre, Lindsey and Christine were working on the next songs: Big Love -which was written by Buckingham in 1985-, Everywhere, Tango In The Night, Mystified, Family Man, Ricky, You & I part I and part II (Eyes Without Shut). Most of the Chris' songs had a big part of Lindsey's work, so the real exception is Little Lies, written 100% by Chris and Eddy Quintela. This will be repeated in 2017 for the Buckingham-McVie work...

- Meanwhile, with Nicks absent, Lindsey used his Fairlight and stuff to make some Nicks' vocals look alike, to create the sensation that Nicks was on the recordings. In fact, Nicks was present before on backing vocals on some Tusk and Mirage songs, sung especially by Christine, so the idea of Stevie's voice on backing vocals wasn't totally new. Lindsey used the voices like on his solo works. Replacing Nicks with Lindsey's voice, at that point, was a choice -thought by Fleetwood??-

- In 1987, by pressures of Fleetwood, the album was released. Lindsey's third solo work was cancelled, so he put his efforts to a new FM album, by Fleetwood's..."order?". Nicks joined with only three songs, even after her voice was erased from her previous works. Some of the sessions where she worked, were recorded by herself, not with the rest of the band, and her voice looks good but not better.
Seven Wonders was written by Sandy Stewart, and recorded in 1986, so this made things easier to release another single quickly, because of Nicks situation and the band's situation itself. If the song wasn't written before, probably another song would be chosen, probably a Chris' or Lindsey's one.

- Some of the Nicks works from this 85-87 time were used later for The Other Side Of The Mirror, so we can consider that some demos for Nicks' 1989 album were rejected by Fleetwood or the rest of the band, and others, which were not rejected, were then released on the deluxe edition. Of course Book Of Miracles was instrumental, so Nicks' voice was out of danger.

- After the release, Lindsey leaves the band in a discussion with the rest of the band, especially with Fleetwood and Nicks.

I think it's a little review of what happened with the TITN sessions, but of course can have some mistakes. My bad! Think that probably by the start of 1987, 90% of the album was ready!
Old 05-01-2022, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Miranda, Thrown Down and EFO are stellar songs. Lindsey and Stevie complement each other tremendously. I'm sorry that these entries did not come at another period in this band's life when they would have garnered the attention they deserve.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick's account sounds wrong. Stevie is on only four songs on Mirage too (hers, plus "Love In Store"). So why would a similar level of participation on Tango be viewed as precedent-breaking?

According to Lindsey, in his interview in Paul Zollo's book Songwriters On Songwriting, Tango started life as a Lindsey Buckingham solo album. He could turn what he had started over to the band, or keep it for himself, and make more of a cameo on a FM album, with outside producers. He opted for the former.

That said, he says there are some things on which he is only band member playing. When Zollo asks about the writing of "Mystified": "A few of the things on Tango In The Night were done in a little bit of a different way. I took a bunch of the raw material home and Christine's basic drum track and worked at home on that and on a couple of things that weren't really the band. One of the reasons we did that was because it was really hard to get everybody together.... So a few things of Christine's I took home to re-work. So I think the melody on that was her seed and whatever I put over it."

Also, FYI, he says (not in reference to Tango particularly, but in general): "Constructing harmonies is like engineering. You turn the knobs until it sounds good."