User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Stand Back also does not contain any live singing. The footage you speak of shows Stevie on stage (live) with different hair than her close ups. So there is an audience in a few quick clips but its not synced with the audio track. It's edited in with everything else. The live shots edited in are from stage performances of Stand Back with her Stand Back costume. Those few live shots on Stand Back on stage are edited in too. Watch and you will see.
I watched it tonight, I can see a lot of what you’re saying. I don’t think as much of it is as fake as you do, but even if I’m wrong and it is all fake, that doesn’t bother me. I mean, I’ve been looking for the video footage of this incarnation of FM lip syncing to their Behind the Mask CD in Japan for years- that’s the closest I’ll ever see so many of those great songs performed “live.” Watching this video has always been disappointing for me because of the refilmed closeups of Stevie, the crazy out of order scenes and camera angles, and the annoying scenes of Mick walking down the hallway.

But what’s good is really good- Rick Vito is so good here. He’s just an awesome performer, and what he does on Isn’t It Midnight is incredible. I also love Billy here, his backing and harmonizing vocals are fantastic. Rick and Billy make this worth watching, but I still enjoy Christine and Stevie, especially on Stand Back, Little Lies, Everywhere, and Seven Wonders. Am I the only one who thinks Stevie looks better here when she’s rehearsing in Everywhere than she does when she’s all made up for the camera?
Old 12-01-2021, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I watched it tonight, I can see a lot of what you’re saying. I don’t think as much of it is as fake as you do, but even if I’m wrong and it is all fake, that doesn’t bother me. I mean, I’ve been looking for the video footage of this incarnation of FM lip syncing to their Behind the Mask CD in Japan for years- that’s the closest I’ll ever see so many of those great songs performed “live.” Watching this video has always been disappointing for me because of the refilmed closeups of Stevie, the crazy out of order scenes and camera angles, and the annoying scenes of Mick walking down the hallway.

But what’s good is really good- Rick Vito is so good here. He’s just an awesome performer, and what he does on Isn’t It Midnight is incredible. I also love Billy here, his backing and harmonizing vocals are fantastic. Rick and Billy make this worth watching, but I still enjoy Christine and Stevie, especially on Stand Back, Little Lies, Everywhere, and Seven Wonders. Am I the only one who thinks Stevie looks better here when she’s rehearsing in Everywhere than she does when she’s all made up for the camera?
I wouldn't say she looks better. She's just real. She's a time capsule of 1987/1988 with her platinum blonde hair and her white washed denim.

Back to the video. The singing parts are fake but even the live footage parts are edited in even though they are from that song. It would have been nice to have had real live parts through the whole video. But in the late 80s everything was made for MTV and slick video production. I guess it was cool back then but today its so bad its laughable. I had the Fresno show on cassette and they sounded different from this video. I even wonder if they performed the songs in studio or on stage without and audience and then lip synced. The audio could be as touched as the visual. Remember that this band pretended to play to an audio track for the Clinton inauguration for Dont Stop.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-01-2021 at 05:31 AM..
Old 12-01-2021, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Remember that this band pretended to play to an audio track for the Clinton inauguration for Dont Stop.
Their performance at the inauguration wasn’t live? Now that is crazy! They couldn’t perform one song live? I had no idea that was the case.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Their performance at the inauguration wasn’t live? Now that is crazy! They couldn’t perform one song live? I had no idea that was the case.
Yes, that was discussed here several years ago when Christine leaked it in an interview. She was very casual about it like no big deal. The microphones were live so it was real singing but fake playing. They taped Stevie's tambourine so it would not make sounds and mess up the recorded track and be picked up by live microphones.

I remember how shocked I was about 20 years ago when I learned Sara was touched on the live album. Its so beautifully perfect and now we know why.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was discussed here several years ago when Christine leaked it in an interview. She was very casual about it like no big deal. The microphones were live so it was real singing but fake playing. They taped Stevie's tambourine so it would not make sounds and mess up the recorded track and be picked up by live microphones.

I remember how shocked I was about 20 years ago when I learned Sara was touched on the live album. Its so beautifully perfect and now we know why.
They always taped her tambourine.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite was always “I Loved Another Woman” probably because it was the most honest song on it. Also, I didn’t know the song, since the early stuff outside of Then Play On and the Chess album was impossible to find. I only vaguely knew who Peter Green was at that point

“Isn’t It Midnight” and “Everywhere” were highlights, and maybe “Oh Well,” but the rest was completely meh.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What's your least favorite song on the Tango DVD concert?

My answer is easy: Gold Dust Woman. The version from this era is my least favorite other than Stevie's 1989 version. Something about the 80s and Gold Dust Woman does not fit. Besides the music, Stevie's close ups are too annoying in her Debbie Gibson hat and long diamond "Golden Girls style" earrings and her long black gloves . But Stevie's ad libs during the song in her klonopin era are nails down a chalkboard for me. Oh yeah. Oh yeah. Not again babe. Not again. No no no no no. Not again babe.

Seriously Stevie. NOT AGAIN (please).
Old 12-02-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
My favorite was always “I Loved Another Woman” probably because it was the most honest song on it. Also, I didn’t know the song, since the early stuff outside of Then Play On and the Chess album was impossible to find. I only vaguely knew who Peter Green was at that point

“Isn’t It Midnight” and “Everywhere” were highlights, and maybe “Oh Well,” but the rest was completely meh.
Those 3 were the songs I watched quite a bit. (at the time)
And Seven Wonders. I was so curious to see Tango songs live.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
My favorite was always “I Loved Another Woman” probably because it was the most honest song on it. Also, I didn’t know the song, .
I didn't know that song either. It was a great surprise. Besides, Rick saw the old blues FM lineup, there's even a picture Rick took, in Mick's book. So sure there was a lot of emotion when he sang it.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Those 3 were the songs I watched quite a bit. (at the time)
And Seven Wonders. I was so curious to see Tango songs live.
You are a seven wonders freak

What is your take on Seven Wonders on this video. IMHO its the most obvious that the audio track is not taken from a concert and maybe studio recorded? In the end when she does her spoken ..."certain place.....certain time" It sounds too studio IMHO and cant imagine that soft speak live in a show. I had the Fresno show on cassette which was recorded for some radio special and the Seven Wonders on that show was so much better. This concert version runs slower than the real concert versions, no?
Old 12-08-2021, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Isn't It Midnight
2. The Chain
3. Seven Wonders/Little Lies

I'm a fan of everything "bad" about production that's already been listed here, so I love this DVD in its entirety.

However, as far as audio goes the Fresno show is the best I've ever heard from this tour. I still bust out my cd once in awhile.