User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But which "full Mirage show"? Not the LA video - I've seen it already. Wouldn't you rather have a film of the performance at Joe Louis in Detroit, or at the Meadowlands, or the Oakland Coliseum, or McNichols in Denver - all great, great shows that you could discover afresh? Even the show at Irvine Meadows seemed more tightly packed with great, haunting moments than LA. Truthfully, LA felt to me like an also-ran to Irvine (which was about a week or two earlier) and to Oakland the night before. The tour had many highlights, but the stuff that wound up on the sloppy, vibe-killing video didn't capture enough of them.
Yes to all of this. What they put out for the live performances on the Mirage Deluxe was absolutely awful especially after how well the the Tusk Deluxe was done. To just put in the exact songs pulled direct from the 30+ year old Video was lazy and sloppy. A full show with the songs in the correct order, Hold Me, Brown Eyes, etc would have been so much better. Somewhere I have MP3 files of Oakland and Denver. It’s been years since I pulled them up but from what I remember both are great shows and include equally strong performances of the video highlights (The Chain, Sisters). I can imagine actual recordings that have been cleaned up would be amazing and certainly preferable to what they actually did on Deluxe.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
But which "full Mirage show"? Not the LA video - I've seen it already. Wouldn't you rather have a film of the performance at Joe Louis in Detroit, or at the Meadowlands, or the Oakland Coliseum, or McNichols in Denver - all great, great shows that you could discover afresh? Even the show at Irvine Meadows seemed more tightly packed with great, haunting moments than LA. Truthfully, LA felt to me like an also-ran to Irvine (which was about a week or two earlier) and to Oakland the night before. The tour had many highlights, but the stuff that wound up on the sloppy, vibe-killing video didn't capture enough of them.
Yes! Everyone would agree to that but is that reality? Were any of those shows recorded? Back in those days it was lots of work with a big film crew to record concerts. I would be surprised if they took them on the road to video all the shows you mentioned.
If any of them were professionally shot then of course, they would be fantastic. But even in 1982 groups hammed it up for a recording. Didn't someone say in the LA Mirage show that part of Christine's keyboards were prop for the cameras?

I cant even watch the lip syncing of the Mac's 1988 "live" show and Stevie's Red Rocks.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes! Everyone would agree to that but is that reality? Were any of those shows recorded? Back in those days it was lots of work with a big film crew to record concerts. I would be surprised if they took them on the road to video all the shows you mentioned.
If any of them were professionally shot then of course, they would be fantastic. But even in 1982 groups hammed it up for a recording. Didn't someone say in the LA Mirage show that part of Christine's keyboards were prop for the cameras?

I cant even watch the lip syncing of the Mac's 1988 "live" show and Stevie's Red Rocks.
I want the Mirage Tour recording of Hold Me!

Tango is the only FM video I don't own(well, I think I have it on VHS somewhere). I can't stand 90% of it. All those stupid closeups. What kind of egomaniac hires a "closeup director"?
Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Imo the Mirage and Tango concerts released on VHS and or DVD were terrible. Mirage has some good moments but Stevie's voice is so nasal it is pretty much unlistenable. I do love her SOTM performance. With the Tango concert I hate the closeups and the dumb backstage shots. The band is performing and yet they spend time backstage during a song to show the band horsing around or whatever. It is stupid.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I want the Mirage Tour recording of Hold Me!

Tango is the only FM video I don't own(well, I think I have it on VHS somewhere). I can't stand 90% of it. All those stupid closeups. What kind of egomaniac hires a "closeup director"?
The close ups are annoying but its the lip syncing that turns me off. HELLO! Its supposed to be a live concert. I would not be surprised if Stevie was behind it since she did that for Red Rocks. If you pay attention you will also see similar visuals between the 2 videos of being far away and people have different hair compared to the close up singing. The Mac's was much better put together mostly because Stevie was a mess and even close ups could not save her Red Rocks show.
Does anyone know if other bands ever did this? This is the most ridiculous thing ever. Think about it. They recorded a live show for distribution yet gave the fans a lip synced concert aka video performance.
And why edit a concert down to 58 minutes. They did concert footage medley for Songbird and then the credits ran for only the audio version of Dont Stop. Marty Callner directed it who was a mainstay of 1980s videos and concerts.

My pet peeve: Stevie and her HUGE earrings during Gold Dust Woman when she would turn to the camera for a close up to say "OH YEAH" is so unrock n roll

And you just loved Mick's body performance.
HELP ME

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-10-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Old 08-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The close ups are annoying but its the lip syncing that turns me off. HELLO! Its supposed to be a live concert. I would not be surprised if Stevie was behind it since she did that for Red Rocks. If you pay attention you will also see similar visuals between the 2 videos of being far away and people have different hair compared to the close up singing. The Mac's was much better put together mostly because Stevie was a mess and even close ups could not save her Red Rocks show.
Does anyone know if other bands ever did this? This is the most ridiculous thing ever. Think about it. They recorded a live show for distribution yet gave the fans a lip synced concert aka video performance.
And why edit a concert down to 58 minutes. They did concert footage medley for Songbird and then the credits ran for only the audio version of Dont Stop. Marty Callner directed it who was a mainstay of 1980s videos and concerts.

And you just loved Mick's body performance.
HELP ME
Whoever was in charge needed to be fired. Bad decisions all the way around.

I'm now "friends" with Marty, but I ain't axing him? Anyone? Bueller?

WHY do people worship her? I'll never understand. $he's such an idiot.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
Imo the Mirage and Tango concerts released on VHS and or DVD were terrible. Mirage has some good moments but Stevie's voice is so nasal it is pretty much unlistenable. I do love her SOTM performance. With the Tango concert I hate the closeups and the dumb backstage shots. The band is performing and yet they spend time backstage during a song to show the band horsing around or whatever. It is stupid.
I loved the Mirage concert. That was the last days of real men with real cameras filming on stage. Yes it had quirks like the bad slice at the end of Sisters but for the most part I thought it was recorded fairly well.
One of the coolest parts of the concert is when the camera on the opposite side of the stage is zoomed in on Christine while she is singing her heart out during the Chain. The same camera then loses focus (gets blurry) to then focus on Stevie (clear focus again). That is something you would NEVER see today. It was the way to capture both singers without moving the camera. Today they would just use 2 automatic cameras zooming around the stage and it would be edited together. Looking back, what a cool effect IMHO. People actually had to focus cameras. Imagine that!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-10-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Old 08-11-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I've heard all of those bootlegs. Yes, I would love to hear a clean version of Denver or NJ.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've heard all of those bootlegs. Yes, I would love to hear a clean version of Denver or NJ.
There is a little Denver on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85YeIeS_U0Q.

I have always loved the 1982 Meadowlands and the Detroit concerts on audience tape. There are not of course enormous differences between performances in the span of a five-week tour. There are smaller but still prominent differences in band tightness and adventurousness (especially from Mick and his fills) and certainly in Stevie's and Christine's vocals. I have long thought that the band filmed the wrong shows in 1982 - and 1987 and 2003 and . . . . You need to film a number of shows on a tour and settle on the best. Actually, if you have Fleetwood Mac's budget, you should film twenty shows. I think that the band just didn't give a damn about recording concerts for posterity and those few products were an afterthought or were scrambled together by the band's assistants. The ugly, ill-lit footage from the Forum in 1982 is a case in point: How could a superstar band who created such lovely promo videos that year that advanced the art also release a feature-length concert video that looks as if it were shot by a local spot-news crew just passing by? And the audio - which couldn't even be cleaned up well for a deluxe Mirage release a few years ago - was atrocious. It was like a home recording of a kid in the sports arena audience.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is a little Denver on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85YeIeS_U0Q.

I have always loved the 1982 Meadowlands and the Detroit concerts on audience tape. There are not of course enormous differences between performances in the span of a five-week tour. There are smaller but still prominent differences in band tightness and adventurousness (especially from Mick and his fills) and certainly in Stevie's and Christine's vocals. I have long thought that the band filmed the wrong shows in 1982 - and 1987 and 2003 and . . . . You need to film a number of shows on a tour and settle on the best. Actually, if you have Fleetwood Mac's budget, you should film twenty shows. I think that the band just didn't give a damn about recording concerts for posterity and those few products were an afterthought or were scrambled together by the band's assistants. The ugly, ill-lit footage from the Forum in 1982 is a case in point: How could a superstar band who created such lovely promo videos that year that advanced the art also release a feature-length concert video that looks as if it were shot by a local spot-news crew just passing by? And the audio - which couldn't even be cleaned up well for a deluxe Mirage release a few years ago - was atrocious. It was like a home recording of a kid in the sports arena audience.
I could be in the minority but liked the dark lighting at the Forum show. Of course I am watching it on TV. Stevie's Wild Heart tour also had extremely dark lighting. Maybe she used the same crew. You can see it at her Largo show.
IMHO there was something magical about the Mirage shows and the darkness added to the mood.
But from what I have seen of the Tusk shows, they were also quite dark. I dont think until the 80s did bands do the full lighting at concerts.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:

It was like a home recording of a kid in the sports arena audience.
The treble and high frequencies are really really bad. They had to be deep in the red on the high ends. I think of a tin can when I hear the audio.

In some cases, the Deluxe Version of Mirage is worse than the VHS I used to listen to on headphones back in 1982/3.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahem why are we talking about Tusk and Mirage in the post-Rumours section? This thread was about the potential for a remastered anthology of the post-Tango albums.
I wish Mick would just say definitively that the group does not exist anymore. Then we can edit Wikipedia and get rid of all this crap about the surviving members of the 2018-19 lineup comprising a current configuration.

Thanks to Mick and all erstwhile members for the good times.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I made a temporary one for Behind the Mask a while back that I have on my iTunes library.

Disc One - The Album

Disc Two - Rarities
01 In the Back of My Mind (Single Edit)
02 Save Me (Single Edit)
03 Paper Doll
04 Love Shines
05 Desiree
06 It Ain't Over
07 As Long As You Follow
08 No Questions Asked
09 Intuition
10 Heart of Stone
11 Lizard People

Disc Three - Live: Part 1 (Various Dates 88-90)
01 In the Back of My Mind
02 The Chain
03 Dreams
04 Isn't It Midnight
05 Oh Well
06 Rhiannon
07 Stop Messin' Around
08 Seven Wonders
09 Save Me
10 Gold Dust Woman
11 I Loved Another Woman
12 Landslide

Disc Four - Live: Part 2 (Various Dates 88-90)
01 Rattlesnake Shake
02 Everywhere
03 Stand On The Rock
04 Say You Love Me
05 World Turning
06 Little Lies
07 Blue Letter
08 Stand Back
09 You Make Lovin Fun
10 Go Your Own Way
11 Tear It Up
12 Don't Stop

Last edited by KenshiMaster16; 08-24-2020 at 12:56 AM..
Old 08-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
I made a temporary one for Behind the Mask a while back that I have on my iTunes library.

Disc One - The Album

Disc Two - Rarities
01 In the Back of My Mind (Single Edit)
02 Save Me (Single Edit)
03 Paper Doll
04 Love Shines
05 Desiree
06 It Ain't Over
07 As Long As You Follow
08 No Questions Asked
09 Intuition
10 Heart of Stone
11 Lizard People

Disc Three - Live: Part 1 (Various Dates 88-90)
01 In the Back of My Mind
02 The Chain
03 Dreams
04 Isn't It Midnight
05 Oh Well
06 Rhiannon
07 Stop Messin' Around
08 Seven Wonders
09 Save Me
10 Gold Dust Woman
11 I Loved Another Woman
12 Landslide

Disc Four - Live: Part 2 (Various Dates 88-90)
01 Rattlesnake Shake
02 Everywhere
03 Stand On The Rock
04 Say You Love Me
05 World Turning
06 Little Lies
07 Blue Letter
08 Stand Back
09 You Make Lovin Fun
10 Go Your Own Way
11 Tear It Up
12 Don't Stop
As much as I approve of this list tell me that the omission of Brown Eyes from the '87 tour was not purposeful, we got screwed on that one for the Mirage re-release and I will be devastated if we don't get it on this one either lol.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 08-24-2020, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
As much as I approve of this list tell me that the omission of Brown Eyes from the '87 tour was not purposeful, we got screwed on that one for the Mirage re-release and I will be devastated if we don't get it on this one either lol.
I usually rotate that in and out with Say You Love Me, to be honest. lol