Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If I understood correctly from Jeffrey's original post, he found the 45 single and, being curious as to its origins, he investigated it.
Finding out that it featured two rare songs performed by Lindsey & Stevie's first band, he posted about the auction here to bring it to the attention of their fans.

I don't believe Jeffrey was actively trying to sell a bootleg, but rather a record that, for all intents and purposes, looked to have been released by a legitimate record company.
I don't know him, and I'm not trying to stick up for him, but I get the feeling that he's not simply a "chicken ****" bootleg seller.

I doubt he's even been back here since the auction closed, being that he probably assumes there's no reason to come back, and is therefore unaware of anything that has been posted in the time since then.

So, Javier, I'd suggest trying to contact Jeffrey thru the website he listed in post #9 of this thread, if you want more information on how he found the 45.
Beyond that, I think the folks who run (ran?) Karma Records are who you really need to get in touch with, as they're the ones who manufactured and released the single.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier
Thanks, Seteca, I didn't know he would actually go through with that scheme. Isn't it funny that he hasn't poked back in here? That's chicken-sh*t. HE's on EBAY? I've got an attorney looking into this. We will find out who released this unauthorized stuff.
Got it, Jeffy?
Actually, he's not on ebay any more. If you look up his seller name, it says he's no longer registered with ebay.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:17 PM

I'd be curious to find out exactly what his share of the liability here is. Seems to me the people who actually stole the intellectual property and released it without authorization are the real villains.

Also, it strikes me as kind of funny that Lindsey's and Stevie's stuff, which arguably would have a considerably bigger audience, has been stolen lots of times in the past and sold as bootlegs. Have Lindsey and Stevie ever gone to the trouble of suing people over it?
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I'd be curious to find out exactly what his share of the liability here is. Seems to me the people who actually stole the intellectual property and released it without authorization are the real villains.
That's what I'm questioning, too.
Would this Jeffrey guy really be considered liable for selling something that he apparently bought legitimately (didn't he say he found it in a used-record store, or did I misunderstand)?
If a seemingly legitimate record company (in this case, Karma Records), manufactures a product, and someone buys it through legitimate sources, isn't it their property to do with as they please (ie: re-selling it on eBay or elsewhere, if they so desire)?

Certainly Karma Records can (and should) be held accountable for releasing something that never belonged to them in the first place... but once someone else buys a copy of it, I'm not sure that any legal burden should be placed on them if they choose to re-sell it.
But, admittedly, I don't know every nuance of the laws regarding these types of situations.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Guys...

Um....you might wanna check the Ebay items again.....weird things abound.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4018778913

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4021387277
Old 07-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

Hmm....very intriguing....
Old 07-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Jeffrey's found quite a few of 'em. In any case, in order to get them kicked off of eBay, they must be proven to be bootlegs. Javier has the burden of proof, not Jeffrey.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Ledgie

I wasn't even aware that the second copy went up....at first I figured that the seller was just a cat who found this rare single, did some research and discovered it was Fritz. But seeing that another one was listed with Buy It Now of $770!!???!!! WTH??!!! Seems like the seller probably knows more than he's letting on............ I wouldn't be surprised if he had more copies.......

The fact that he's made over $1500 on these two discs is disgusting. And the artists aren't getting a cent.....

shame, shame, shame....
Old 07-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Uh oh. Houston, we have a problem.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I doubt he's even been back here since the auction closed, being that he probably assumes there's no reason to come back, and is therefore unaware of anything that has been posted in the time since then.
Yeah, I don't think he did much hanging around here. He used the message board to drum up interest in his auction. His auction is long ended. He's history around here . . . probably.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Item has ended (wetcamelfood is the winner)

The second one was purchased by one of our own here... Doesn't wetcamelfood post on The Ledge... Looks pretty familiar.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:55 AM
Fritz

Well, they're back!! Lost Jukebox and its mighty team of historic instigators--I mean, investigators. What is curious is that the 45 rpm label seems so very primitive by commercial standards. To me it seems rather small-town, 50s. The simple design is meant to give the impression of age, but it somehow doesn't convince me. Its clearly designed to confuse. Diss, I only have to prove that the product was not meant for commercial sale and is therefore unauthorized--I can do that. Doesn't matter whose hands its in. Check to see if they're still there tomorrow. And yes you are right, Cuerna Vaca, ees no big deal. It'd be real nice if they threw me some centavos for a beer. These people can actually apply to the Fed for permission to put this out, and there is little one can do. That's why they use "Sincerely San Jose," to broaden the mystery. I am investigating the matter for my own curiosity, it just seems so coincidental that these alleged 45 "records" would appear now, one after the other.
These dudes are brazen because they know there is little that can be done. But notice Jeffs hasn't been around. Of course people go back to the scenes of their crimes! Who doesn't go back to reread a post they left somewhere? Duh. I know its useless--I'll stop one and another will pop up. The copyright laws of this nation governing protections for composers are actually 1907 statutes that were designed by another compromised body of world leaders who gave sweeping economic control of a composer's livlihood to their mutual benefactors, the publishing houses. That's why our "cut" is always so low. Musicians, composers, libretists, are among the easiest in history to manipulate and rob (legally, of course) thanks to the ethos of those old laws that still currently exist within the upper echelons of the recording industry. We barely have a digital law in effect, thank you,way much damage has been done. For new generations, its been so easy to download stuff. For some there are no ethics involved in the matter. To these ingenuine entrepreneurial folk, they are merely "filling a need." Filling the void.
But the disguise is a little too obvious.
Actually, I am rather amazed that people would really want to plop down that much buck for two numbers.

Last edited by javier; 07-19-2004 at 02:00 AM..
Old 07-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Fritz

Oh this is funny. I leave you with one last observation. This seller uses the same exact narration in describing revelations about the product as the other previous seller used. Now, isn't that special?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:15 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
Item has ended (wetcamelfood is the winner)

The second one was purchased by one of our own here... Doesn't wetcamelfood post on The Ledge... Looks pretty familiar.
Sorry I missed so much, I've been really busy with work, still busy actually but...anyways it was made out to me that the original winner of the auction didn't pay so since I was next in line it was offered to me as a "second chance" so I figured I'd better take it. Um, don't know what else to say though.

John
Old 07-19-2004, 07:43 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Sorry I missed so much, I've been really busy with work, still busy actually but...anyways it was made out to me that the original winner of the auction didn't pay so since I was next in line it was offered to me as a "second chance" so I figured I'd better take it. Um, don't know what else to say though.

John
It's nice to know a fellow Massachusetts citizen got it. You could send it my way after you listen to it.

Enjoy it, lord knows you spent enough on it!