Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Ledgie

Default Hmmmmmmmmm

No, I think Tango in the Night, Go Your Own Way, Book of Love, and Countdown are all much better electric solos than ANYTHING Van Halen or Eric Clapton have ever done. Both because of the fingerpicking style and also because of their construction and listening pleasure. I don't hear similar sound pleasure in solos by VH, EC or even Stevie Ray Vaughn. Although the guy in Huey Lewis and the News (I forget his name--Chris Hayes maybe?) did a great job with the solo on I Want a New Drug.

Lindsey's guitar work at the end of Peacekeeper reminds me of Elton John's piano work in the background on George Harrison's Cloud 9 album songs Fish on the Sand, Wreck of the Hesperas, and Devil's Radio.

Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by clooney
No, I think Tango in the Night, Go Your Own Way, Book of Love, and Countdown are all much better electric solos than ANYTHING Van Halen or Eric Clapton have ever done. Both because of the fingerpicking style and also because of their construction and listening pleasure. I don't hear similar sound pleasure in solos by VH, EC or even Stevie Ray Vaughn.
You mention 3 things here:

1) "Fingerpicking style": How is this relevant to these 4 songs? They can easily be played by any half-decent guitarist using a pick.

2) "Construction": I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you think those solos are more technically advanced than "Crossroads" or "Eruption", then I'm extremely surprised, but it's all a matter of opinion of course.

3) "Listening pleasure". Absolutely agree with you on this. LB's solos speak to me and move me emotionally more than anyone else's. He's my favourite guitarist and my favourite musician. However, my previous post was strictly about technical proficiency of electric solos only. I specifically said, "not emotionally."

I just can't understand how LB can be compared to Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen. These people's styles could not possibly be any more different.

Incidently, yesterday I was looking through some of these "best guitarists" lists via Google and the only list I could find which had Lindsey Buckingham in it had "NGBA" noted as his best guitar work, which I completely agree with.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sure Red Rover has the tape speed elements, but the question of 'playing the studio' isn't really an issue when you consider that NGBA on Rumours has itself at least two guitar tracks playing simultaneously.
But that sound was definitely geared to emulate in the best possible way the sound of someone playing a acoustic guitar (in the tradition of Landslide, but obviously in much brighter, sharper colours).
With Red Rover, you have to ask - is Lindsey at any time intending to sound like he is sitting there with one acoutstic guitar? Given the different frames of reference, I don't think he went over the top becuase he was aiming for something altogther different.

Rather than using the guitars in the arrangement like a fireside singsong, it's just his weapon of choice to create certain rhythms, textures, 'colours' as he would say (a`la the painting metaphor). Other people use synthesizers and techno stuff.

That's why I get such a kick out of Red Rover/Say Goodbye/Try For The Sun/Big Love (The Dance) ... it's something totally unique... at least in the pop-rock arena.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What actual instruments do you think LB used for RR? One guitar and a drum machine it sounds like, but he manipulates the sounds so it sounds like a mini orchestra.

Do you think it is just a regular acoustic or his Renessiance Turner?
Old 06-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's only layers & layers of acoustic guitars...not a drum to be found. He mentioned in an interview (can't recall WHICH one) that "Red Rover" is an example of some of his "new" techniques...getting a more "percussive" type sound from his guitars. Yep, "Try For The Sun" uses the same "trick".

Really DOES sound like there's a snare drum (being played with brushes) in the background, but listening closely, sure 'nuff, it is guitar.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LB's opened my eyes on SYW in a way he never had before. Red Rover is a masterpiece.

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 06-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No you can def. hear drums, especially bass drum sporatically.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Ledgie

Is Lindsey overdoing it? It all depends how yopu veiw him today. I think he sees this tour as quite pssibly the last chance to tour with Fleetwood Mac because of the age thing,and is just making the most of everything and playing his heart out. From the studio to the stage I think he is doing his best to give back to the fans his gratitude for years of backing him and FM, the only way he knows how. Through his guitar. His style and his talent puts him in an altogether different class from SRV and Clapton, not that he is better or worse, just different. He has grown musically over the years and is now one of the greats. JMO
Old 06-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
Given the different frames of reference, I don't think he went over the top becuase he was aiming for something altogther different.

very good point
Old 06-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Does it take away from Lindsey's prestige as a guitarist that so many of his guitar parts on SYW are manipulated in some way?
I don't think so at all. I think Lindsey is way ahead of his time. I guess I compare his manipulation of his guitar playing to how directors in a film, such as "The Matrix" use special effects. Everyone knows that those stunts could not be reproduced live on stage in front of our eyes, but it doesn't make those special effects any less amazing. They are a thrill to watch, just as Lindsey's guitar effects are a thrill to listen to.

Just MHO!

Lady Quicksilver
Old 06-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hey Lady Q - that's a brilliant analogy to Matrix 'bullet time' photography! Makes me imagine a video for Red Rover - with Lindsey playing guitar in bullet time! If only...
Old 06-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
No you can def. hear drums, especially bass drum sporatically.

There's not a drum on the track. (per an interview with Lindsey, forget exactly WHICH magazine, though) If you hear one, it is an illusion created by Lindsey's guitar and studio techniques.

Which brings me 'round to the theme of this whole thread:

People bitch when Lindsey isn't listed on all those "World's Greatest Guitarist" polls. Then he starts playing in a style that would get him recognition that way and people STILL bitch. There's just no pleasing some people, is there.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-10-2003 at 10:54 AM..
Old 06-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Yes, you can "hear" drums, but drums are not being played. The percussive sound is coming strictly from Lindsey's guitar.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Yes, you can "hear" drums, but drums are not being played. The percussive sound is coming strictly from Lindsey's guitar.

That is truly amazing!!! Although I always thought: what a strange "moving" bassdrumsound. I pictured him recording sloppy skinned bassdrums and then playing around with the pitch for controlling recordingspeed etc. But with a guitar! Any ideas on how he does that?
Everytime I read something new It's more amazing. What an artist.....

Old 06-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can hear the thump of a bass drum. Maybe he just used that cause I don't know how he could of gotten that sound from a plating a guitar.