Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default I wish Fleetwood Mac would do something like this....

(from the September 7th, 2002 issue of Billboard, page 62....)
Quote:
Bootleg Boon: The Who is selling 'The Who 2002 Encore Series' - a collection of soundboard-sourced, authorized bootlegs of shows from its current North American tour - via guitarist Pete Townshend's Eel Pie commerce site and new online site themusic.com. The double-disc sets will be available "within three weeks" of a given show.
All proceeds will benefit "young peoples' charities supported by the Who," according to a statement. As for the initiative behind the campaign, "the band are aware that many of the shows on this tour will be sold as bootleg recordings and to satisfy this demand they have agreed to release their own official recordings to benefit worthy causes," the statement said.
The sets will retail for about $24.
Johnny Stew
Old 09-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahhh ...to sleep and perchance to dream......

I'll give it a maybe.
I never thought they would release an enhanced CD either.
I was talking with a friend of mine who works in a music store, and I asked him about the price of this enhanced CD.
How could it have so much on it and still be the same price?
His exlpanation was that the technology is becoming cheaper, and he cited a band, POD, who recently re-released a current CD of theirs with enhanced videos and interviews, and the new version is the same price as the old, unenhanced one.

I hope our fav old geysers have truly stepped into the 21st century!
Maybe they will begin to let more of the stuff we want out. I know I would be thrilled to get ahold of some of the stuff Mick has on tape. "They" say, whoever that elusive "they" are - that he has scads of stuff backlogged from old shows.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wish they would've done something like that 30 years ago!
Old 09-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs up Me Too!

That would be a dream come true! I remember when Pearl Jam did this a few years ago. I think every concert - about 40 or so - was recorded and released. I have no idea how the sales were on them, but as a huge bootleg fan, I thought this was an awesome gift to fans. I'd gladly pay $25 for a soundboard of each show.

The only gripe people would have - and it would be understandable - would be that we could end up with 40-60 discs with the exact same setlist, in the exact same order, with almost the exact same banter ("this feels pretty good...isn't that weird?") between songs. Still, I enjoy different performances from show to show. Like with The Dance shows -sometimes "Sweet Girl" rocked almost as hard as "Rhiannon". Sometimes "Second Hand News" set the crowd on fire. Certain songs just seem to "have their night", so, although the set is the same, the performances aren't.

I really, really hope that they at least rotate in a few songs on different shows. I saw two Train shows this summer, back to back, and they altered the setlist by about 4 songs the second night. It gave the second night an entirely different feel. I don't see what's so difficult about subbing "Sara" for "Dreams" or "Monday Morning" for "Tusk" every couple of shows.

Who knows? With the way things are going, maybe they'll surprise us.

Mike B.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just don't understand the mindset of these folks. For a band that has been around since 1967, the amount of material they have, they can only seem to play the same 25 or 30 songs through the entire tour...tour after tour.

Bands like Little Feat, Bruce & the E St, etc, change their set show to show...whatever "feels good" at the moment. I don't think I've seen Little Feat play the same set two times in a row EVER. Even on the Feat's newsgroup, people post set lists for every show...about the only song that gets played every night is "Dixie Chicken"...and not always in the same place in the set...sometimes it opens the show, sometimes it's an encore, sometimes it's smack dab in the middle. And, I've seen where they've played an ENTIRELY different set on consecutive nights (DC, again, being the exception) A 20-25 song set list...with 24 songs that they didn't play the night before.

If Fleetwood Mac would pull their heads out for a change, maybe THEY could do something similar! I'll even say, keep these three every show ("The Chain", "Dreams", "Go Your Own Way"), but change the rest of the set each show, don't play the same set two nights in a row. Now, talk about keeping songs "fresh"...plus, it would stimulate people to want to go to EVERY show, so they don't miss a certain song they've been wanting to hear.