User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2023, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I love and will always love Christine. When she returned to FM it was like a dream coming true.

But, was this grammy well deserved? I remember many of us didn't like this version, including me. I'm not expert in musical arrangements and haven't heard all nominees. Glad she won anyway, but I suspect her recent passing kind of influenced.
A fair question. I see the win as more of a recognition of her entire body of work, rather than one song. Also, when I say it’s a well deserved win, I say it not necessarily because I think her song was truly the best in that category (because I have no idea what the other songs were, I didn’t listen to them) but because the source material, the original recording of Songbird, is 100% worthy of a Grammy.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
A fair question. I see the win as more of a recognition of her entire body of work, rather than one song. Also, when I say it’s a well deserved win, I say it not necessarily because I think her song was truly the best in that category (because I have no idea what the other songs were, I didn’t listen to them) but because the source material, the original recording of Songbird, is 100% worthy of a Grammy.
I felt similar when DiCaprio won the Oscar. I was not convinced about The Revenant (and thought it was unfair that he didn't win for The Wolf of Wall Street), but it was a good recognition of his entire work.

However if that was the case, it is not fair for the other nominees.

I also wonder, and sorry for the dark of this hypothesis, what would have happened if one of the members had died after The Dance, had FM won one of their 3 grammy nominations?
Old 02-08-2023, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I'm glad it won but I dont like these award shows because the best stuff is always over looked. How Buck/Vie was not even nominated for best pop duo is a crime.
The orchestra is beautiful but it does not do the song justice. IMHO it strips the humanity and passion from the song. Maybe because I am used to it at a slower and passionate pace. It just does not fit the song but the orchestra is a fine piece. Another thing about awards shows that irks me is sometimes with the oscars, the role wins more than the actor or actress. There is always a sympathy factor when an artist passes away. I am not saying it did not deserve to win. I never heard the other artists in competition. I am glad it won. But IMHO it was a lost opportunity to really bring more emotion out in the song. Instead of highlighting the vocal, I feel the piece clashes with the vocal and I have played it many times. But that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-08-2023 at 04:09 PM..
Old 02-08-2023, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I love and will always love Christine. When she returned to FM it was like a dream coming true.

But, was this grammy well deserved? I remember many of us didn't like this version, including me. I'm not expert in musical arrangements and haven't heard all nominees. Glad she won anyway, but I suspect her recent passing kind of influenced.
Vince Mendoza won the same category last year and several times before, so I bet he would have been expected to win this year regardless of what happened to Christine.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The orchestra is beautiful but it does not do the song justice. IMHO it strips the humanity and passion from the song. Maybe because I am used to it at a slower and passionate pace. It just does not fit the song but the orchestra is a fine piece.
I just listened to it again... I really wanted to like it but I just can't. The whole thing just doesn't work and I don't see how anyone can listen and believe that it does. The orchestra absolutely does not fit with the song. If it were on its own, I'm sure it would be a lovely piece but for it to get a Grammy is laughable.