The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Ledgie

Default Swift Justice? Westboro Baptist Church Plans Protest At ‘Wh*re’ Taylor’s Concert

Swift Justice? Westboro Baptist Church Plans Protest At ‘Wh*re’ Taylor’s Concert: http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...-taylor-swift/
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Just curious why this is even newsworthy? I'm pretty sure I'm way worse than Taylor in Westboro insanity given that oh gosh I'm a gay Jew. Who don't they hate? They actually planned a protest at my former university's Hillel ( the biggest Jewish student/young adult group that I think is basically international). Don't think they even showed up and why bother? Ironically my former university is only the third largest in the state of Michigan after the obviously much more widely known University of MI and Michigan State U and both of those schools have a larger Jewish student population and much larger Hillels. Although the school they planned to protest at is in Detroit where the vast bulk of MI's Jews live. But anyway, point is they pull this crap anywhere and everywhere. They are most widely known for basically wishing all gays would be rounded up and killed but they're also anti-Jewish, anti-Catholic, anti-military (they somehow connect the military with gays?! And the most disgusting thing they do is protest at soliders funerals!!!), anti-famous people (they protested at Elizabeth Edwards' funeral. Her children were around 10 or so when she passed. And they were protesting because her young children were conceived through in vitri fertilization. Actually I guess that's another reason they'd hate me because so was I. I cried in this case because they were also basically saying these innocent kids were more or less the devil incarnate. At their mother's funeral! Ugh!) Basically they are VERY small (note they said expected 15 people to show IN THEIR OWN HOMETOWN. Its often less than that when they travel. And they make their young children hold gastly signs up...) group of people who hate everyone who is not like them. Somehow they are able to grab way more media attention than they deserve. Far more people regularly show at their protests to protest them! At gay pride events for example, while the Westboro nutjobs hold up their "G-d hates fags" signs, so many more people both gay and straight can be found holding up counter signs that say things like "G-d loves everyone". Groups of people have built walls blocking them and the families of fallen soliders from seeing one another at funerals. The counter protesters never really make the media which is too bad.

A number of people, largely young adults, have been leaving the Westboro cult and that has also made the news. The family members of the leader Fred Phelos himself have been leaving. One even wrote a book. And as I recall she even said to not give them attention because that's what they want. I know gay groups used to post about Westboro all the time but so many have taken the stance that they're not worth giving attention to at all. I'm really starting to agree. I mean heck, June was gay pride month yet we hardly heard a thing about Westboro so it seems they were looking for an even bigger way to grab attention. The Taylor Swift protest is a great way for them to do so. I'm sure they'll fire up a bunch of young girls in particular and get lots of attention just as they wish for. But I don't think there's anything really worth discussing. They're a long standing and very small hate group who is somehow still gaining media attention. I really don't know why. I don't think we should be remotely surprised. And clearly its all about attention be ause after all, why aren't they protesting Fleetwood Mac concerts? I'm sure every Mac member has done circles around Swift in "fornication" not to mention married Mac members cheating, drugs and alcohol abuse, etc. Yet they're not protesting Fleetwood Mac because it wouldn't get them as much attention.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post
And clearly its all about attention be ause after all, why aren't they protesting Fleetwood Mac concerts? I'm sure every Mac member has done circles around Swift in "fornication" not to mention married Mac members cheating, drugs and alcohol abuse, etc. Yet they're not protesting Fleetwood Mac because it wouldn't get them as much attention.
They did protest Fleetwood Mac, this year, Kansas City. The 'press release' was awful, calling the band members sodomites.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
They did protest Fleetwood Mac, this year, Kansas City. The 'press release' was awful, calling the band members sodomites.
Sodomites? Wow. Either I was right when I jokingly quipped in the Lindsey/Stevie thread that Lindsey is a butt guy... Quite a butt guy. Or I'm totally missing something.

Seriously, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Are we missing a secret John/Mick thing because we're too busy staring at Lindsey/Stevie?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Someone should make a sit-com about those people, very earnest but totally out there religious fanatics, but it'd be hard to come up with fiction as imaginative as they seem to be. Didn't they also flip out over Tinky-Winky's purse or something? I'm kind of flipping out recently over some Mormons and their use of the term homoelectives! They obviously think they are being very cutting and/or clever with that term but I think most people just blank out, sort of like with old Rush Limpd*ck and his various feminosity and environazi name-calls.

But yeah, a reality style sit-com starring righteous true-believer fanatics... they could have various stickers on their vehicles that make absolutely no sense to anyone else... have their own little radio station with music by people nobody else has ever heard of... and on Fridays (the true sabbath) they go off and attack cow pastures with zippo lighters because the scent of burning oxen flesh is pleasing to the Lord. Those Wacky Westborowers, weeknights on WHAA-TV?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People still care about WBC? What year are we in?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why is this cracking me up so much? I kinda like the idea of protesting that "wh*re" taylor swift.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Why is this cracking me up so much?
I hate to see waste so if one can get some entertainment value from 'em I'd say that was a good thing. I went to a school that showed 700 Club shows in class sometimes... it made me realize I was much more 'normal' than I'd thought.