User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
And Stevie shaded and shamed Madonna for years after that. Told her to kiss people her own age.
She wouldn't say that to Harry Styles who runs around stage shirtless.
Stevie trash talked Madonna and Pat Benatar for many years throughout the 1980's & 90's. I remember one interview in, I think 1994, when she told a reporter that she could have been more famous if she had dressed in raunchy clothes like those 2 women did.
She wouldn't say that to Harry Styles & she wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan either.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
SDMHA was released about the same time as Hard Promises in 1981. Stevie went on tour with Tom that summer and the dates she showed up at packed the house. I can see how he was frustrated. His song was given away and the people were coming to see Stevie while his album was not nearly as successful.
No one knew Stevie was going to be at any of those shows because she was not advertised on the billing. She was a surprise guest who simply walked out onstage to sing maybe 2 songs with Tom and that was it. Tom had always done great touring numbers. He never needed her to sell tickets. It was also very frustrating waiting for Stevie to come to my part of the country on her solo tour and then finding out there would only be 12 Bella Donna shows and they'd all take place no farther east than Colorado. And didn't find out until they were over.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I loved it when Stevie ripped Brittany and Madonna for French kissing on stage. The 24 hour media sensation was at full tilt. It was done simply for shock value just like the Janet Jackson Super Bowl stunt. When you resort to that kind of shock value stunts on stage, the music probably is not very good.
I applaud Stevie when she threw her thunder and shade at them. I also loved it when she said she wanted to strangle Nicki Minaj on American Idol.
You go Stevie!
I can totally see why someone from Stevie's era does not like Madonna. Stevie got famous for her writing and singing. The style just came along but was not what made her famous. There were no videos and you heard her on the radio. Madonna is a packaged commercial. Someone writes songs for her and she creates controversy to sell her image.
I'll never see the point in comparing Stevie to other artists. They are all different and all have their own unique styles. The industry is always pitting female musicians against each other and Viv does not appreciate it. I despised Nikki Manaj for the longest time because to me she is filthy trash. I became a Cardi b fan but it didn't take me long to figure out she's just as trashy as Nikki. Now I like them equally but I won't watch their interviews anymore because they are both talented gutter trash talkers. Madonna on the other hand has more talent in her little finger than Stevie and any other female singer out there. From the beginning of her career(1983) until about 2 years ago Madonna's dance routines were always amazing. I wish I worshipped Madonna more than Stevie but Madonna doesn't make it easy to like her as a person. But as an entertainer I wish Stevie would be as brave in concert as Madonna is. When she tours, Madonna only really cares about her current record and is not afraid to perform songs from it. She'd throw so much of herself into each performance that even if you never heard the song before, she'd make you want to go out and buy it. Madonna would take all her past hits and give them a completely new musical arrangement on every one of her tours and NEVER repeated the same performance twice or the same show twice. And one more thing while I'm on the subject of how great Madonna is to me, she wrote a huge amount of her own hits.

But the Madonna we have now in 2022 is a complete and total whackjob and an embarrassment to herself and her fans. And the dancing she did on her last tour was horrible. I honestly don't know what in the hell happened to her. Aliens!! She must have been abducted by Aliens. Yes, that must be it!!
Old 12-12-2022, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Excuse you?I bring up Mike Pence with you because you guys were born and raised in same corn field
My Mike Pence comments are directed at you specifically. Even if you don't need her, tell her you need her. She needs you brother.
I always enjoy a good sense of humor post
Old 12-13-2022, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I always enjoy a good sense of humor post
Macfan is a loony toon.

That.Is.All.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
No one knew Stevie was going to be at any of those shows because she was not advertised on the billing. She was a surprise guest who simply walked out onstage to sing maybe 2 songs with Tom and that was it. Tom had always done great touring numbers. He never needed her to sell tickets. It was also very frustrating waiting for Stevie to come to my part of the country on her solo tour and then finding out there would only be 12 Bella Donna shows and they'd all take place no farther east than Colorado. And didn't find out until they were over.
Interesting. Tom had the power to play several nights in a row at the LA Forum in 1981?
He and his band were not a sold out arena band back then and were mostly playing to half full arenas. By the time SDMHA was a huge hit she was on the tour. Since she was at other shows, I find it hard to believe people did not expect her there. Tom never played SDMHA in his set until the song was a hit.
Stevie spent the entire summer with Tom. No one knew how big Bella Donna was going to be so I think everyone was gun shy. Too bad she did not do a summer tour promoting Bella Donna. When she got off tour with Tom in October there was not much time.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'll never see the point in comparing Stevie to other artists. They are all different and all have their own unique styles. The industry is always pitting female musicians against each other and Viv does not appreciate it. I despised Nikki Manaj for the longest time because to me she is filthy trash. I became a Cardi b fan but it didn't take me long to figure out she's just as trashy as Nikki. Now I like them equally but I won't watch their interviews anymore because they are both talented gutter trash talkers. Madonna on the other hand has more talent in her little finger than Stevie and any other female singer out there. From the beginning of her career(1983) until about 2 years ago Madonna's dance routines were always amazing. I wish I worshipped Madonna more than Stevie but Madonna doesn't make it easy to like her as a person. But as an entertainer I wish Stevie would be as brave in concert as Madonna is. When she tours, Madonna only really cares about her current record and is not afraid to perform songs from it. She'd throw so much of herself into each performance that even if you never heard the song before, she'd make you want to go out and buy it. Madonna would take all her past hits and give them a completely new musical arrangement on every one of her tours and NEVER repeated the same performance twice or the same show twice. And one more thing while I'm on the subject of how great Madonna is to me, she wrote a huge amount of her own hits.

But the Madonna we have now in 2022 is a complete and total whackjob and an embarrassment to herself and her fans. And the dancing she did on her last tour was horrible. I honestly don't know what in the hell happened to her. Aliens!! She must have been abducted by Aliens. Yes, that must be it!!
You lost me when you said Madonna has more talent
Old 12-13-2022, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I felt the same way at the time. I was always rooting for the release of Nothing Ever Changes because a good rock song is always an enjoyable concert staple. She already has an abundance of ballads. Of those 3 songs you listed, for me NEC is the only one that has stood the test of time. I almost forgot to tell you that her and Tom Petty performed I Will Run To You live at Radio City in Sept 1983 and while it was good to hear and see it in person, I never really cared much for that song. But that's just my opinion. The audience really loved it. Tom was a surprise guest. He was not advertised on the bill.
That's right. I remember your story about the 1983 NYC show with Tom. Wow thats pretty rare. Only a handful of people on this earth have seen I Will Run To You live and you are one of them.
Like you I too was rooting for Nothing Ever Changes. It already had some decent rock play. Even if the song did not chart well like Nightbird, go out with a bang and a rocker.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie was concerned about her image and wanted to remain the thin woman in public that we were used to even though by 1985 she had packed on a lot of pounds. So for the making of that video they hired a look a like teenager from Atlanta to "play" Stevie and all the closeup face shots were the actual Stevie. You knew that, right?
I did not know this. Wow. Sad. I remember her eyes in that video (on the closeups) and thinking she didn’t look well.

In terms of her thinness, I thought she’d stayed thin until around late 1987. This pic from early 87 shows her looking pretty slender. Maybe it’s just an illusion or a decent angle?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/80/47/fa/8...etwood-mac.jpg

Last edited by aleuzzi; 12-14-2022 at 06:25 PM..
Old 12-15-2022, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie trash talked Madonna and Pat Benatar for many years throughout the 1980's & 90's. I remember one interview in, I think 1994, when she told a reporter that she could have been more famous if she had dressed in raunchy clothes like those 2 women did.
She wouldn't say that to Harry Styles & she wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan either.
Stevie was very bitter in 1994 and lashing out at everyone. Everyone was fair game. She even said Bill Clinton was too young to be president on David Letterman after performing at his ball 2 years earlier. Even during a radio interview when they were fawning over her #1 song Dreams, she took aim at Chris saying she had all the hits.

BTW, you are saying a teenage girl is in the Talk To Me video as Stevie? That's the most underreported story of the century? I can only possibly see it at 3:18 in the background?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl62w71Ets

BTW, I went back and listened to the 1985 interview.

Question: You have a very strong image the way you dress with the laces. I think that may have contributed to people like Prince and Madonna. The current look that is so popular. I do.

Stevie: (grins and smiles) Madonna gets out of this easy Prince does that. Yes I definitely think I have definitely influenced the clothes of a few people

Stevie is sitting there with lace gloves that were a trademark of Madonna in 1985. IMHO Stevie is agreeing with the interviewer that she has both influenced Prince and Madonna. I guess its up to interpretation what she means Madonna getting out of this easy. I take that to mean because she is female its not as noticeable. But Stevie with her neon gloves in Talk To Me was a blatant Madonna inspiration. When Prince started wearing lace gloves, he was copying Madonna too IMHO. Madonna was a huge trend setter. I was in Jr High in 1984-1985 and almost every girl tried to look like her.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-15-2022 at 06:49 AM..
Old 12-15-2022, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie was very bitter in 1994 and lashing out at everyone. Everyone was fair game. She even said Bill Clinton was too young to be president on David Letterman after performing at his ball 2 years earlier. Even during a radio interview when they were fawning over her #1 song Dreams, she took aim at Chris saying she had all the hits.

BTW, you are saying a teenage girl is in the Talk To Me video as Stevie? That's the most underreported story of the century? I can only possibly see it at 3:18 in the background?

BTW, I went back and listened to the 1985 interview.

Question: You have a very strong image the way you dress with the laces. I think that may have contributed to people like Prince and Madonna. The current look that is so popular. I do.

Stevie: (grins and smiles) Madonna gets out of this easy Prince does that. Yes I definitely think I have definitely influenced the clothes of a few people

Stevie is sitting there with lace gloves that were a trademark of Madonna in 1985. IMHO Stevie is agreeing with the interviewer that she has both influenced Prince and Madonna. I guess its up to interpretation what she means Madonna getting out of this easy. I take that to mean because she is female its not as noticeable. But Stevie with her neon gloves in Talk To Me was a blatant Madonna inspiration. When Prince started wearing lace gloves, he was copying Madonna too IMHO. Madonna was a huge trend setter. I was in Jr High in 1984-1985 and almost every girl tried to look like her.
IWow we have entirely different perceptions here. I didn't think Stevie was bitter or throwing shade when she talked about Clinton. She said she wondered if he might be too young because they were the same age and she can hardly make decisions about what to wear every day let alone run the country (or some such thing) but it didn't seem harsh at all.
Also, there was an interview with the teen age girl on Youtube years ago but I cant find it now. She was on some AM talk show or something. I dont think it had anything to do with Stevie thinking she looked fat. They wanted some sort of filler scenes and used this girl as Stevie wasn't available. There are plenty of full body shots of Stevie in the video where she looks fine. But then that quick shot mentioned above plus one at about 3:26 were the only ones they used.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
IWow we have entirely different perceptions here. I didn't think Stevie was bitter or throwing shade when she talked about Clinton. She said she wondered if he might be too young because they were the same age and she can hardly make decisions about what to wear every day let alone run the country (or some such thing) but it didn't seem harsh at all.
Also, there was an interview with the teen age girl on Youtube years ago but I cant find it now. She was on some AM talk show or something. I dont think it had anything to do with Stevie thinking she looked fat. They wanted some sort of filler scenes and used this girl as Stevie wasn't available. There are plenty of full body shots of Stevie in the video where she looks fine. But then that quick shot mentioned above plus one at about 3:26 were the only ones they used.
Don't focus on the detail about Bill Clinton. That was just a off the cuff comment. Bill Clinton was not popular in 1994 because of the recession and backlash. The GOP won the house for the first time in 40 years. My point about that comment is she was not positive i.e. give him some time or something. It was easy to pile on. Stevie was a negative cannon once Street Angel was released. No doubt she was going through a very hard time. She went through a brutal rehab. Her album suffered. The album tanked. She was playing small crowds. Cancelled the second leg of her tour. Bashed her producer and like a child told people not to buy her solo album. She was hurting and negative which was my point about her subtle comments about the other artists when asked. Thats the point I was making. The positive and polite Stevie was gone. She was hurt. She was pissed. And had nothing good to say about anyone.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't focus on the detail about Bill Clinton. That was just a off the cuff comment. Bill Clinton was not popular in 1994 because of the recession and backlash. The GOP won the house for the first time in 40 years. My point about that comment is she was not positive i.e. give him some time or something. It was easy to pile on. Stevie was a negative cannon once Street Angel was released. No doubt she was going through a very hard time. She went through a brutal rehab. Her album suffered. The album tanked. She was playing small crowds. Cancelled the second leg of her tour. Bashed her producer and like a child told people not to buy her solo album. She was hurting and negative which was my point about her subtle comments about the other artists when asked. Thats the point I was making. The positive and polite Stevie was gone. She was hurt. She was pissed. And had nothing good to say about anyone.
"Stevie, is that you?"
Old 12-15-2022, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

She was a young teen from Atlanta named Cara Cooke. Stevie saw her somewhere, thought she was cute, and stuck her in the video. Cara is spinning in the white skirt in the superimposed background of spinning wheels. There isn’t much footage used of her but it’s there. There’s some raw footage of Cara’s dancing with a counter at the bottom, followed by an interview with Cara on some local Atlanta TV show.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
"Stevie, is that you?"
baby baby baby baby
can you see me now?

baby baby baby
can you feel me now?