The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2021, 02:36 PM
GypsyVisions GypsyVisions is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default Press Attention Could Bolster Lindsey's New Album

Of course press attention can help sell records. But this specific level of press attention around Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Fleetwood Mac feels different (and hauntingly familiar) this time around.

The New York Times, LATimes, Rolling Stone...and more.

Has Lindsey ever had this much press attention with such emotional implications - less than 10 days before the release of a solo album? And this solo album is getting positive reviews, fans like what they've heard so far. He's sounding great on his tour which is also being well received.

This could lead to Lindsey having his highest charting solo debut ever, at age 71. He deserves a triumphant win, given the past few years alone.
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:32 PM
TrueFaith77's Avatar
TrueFaith77 TrueFaith77 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York City!
Posts: 4,926
Default

He was trending on Twitter today!
__________________
"They love each other so much, they think they hate each other."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2021, 03:50 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,796
Default

I agree, this is the most press Lindsey’s ever gotten for a solo album, and good for him. I suspect that’s why he’s been so open about the FM mess, because it makes for great headlines. But hey, if that’s what it takes to get the word out about his new album, I’m glad he’s doing it. I would suspect his album will chart pretty high the first 2 weeks at least, based on all the buzz.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2021, 04:42 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
He was trending on Twitter today!
he was, and i guess no press is bad press.... but the slant that was picked up from his interviews today was not a good one. he sounds tone deaf, even though he threw all these particular daggers Stevie's way many times before. and even though Stevie's publicist-crafted response was basically admitting that she got him fired, and worse for her yet, that she started plotting this revenge on him all the way back in 1968 and finally got to pull the trigger with Azoff's help in 2018. sounds like a sad life being wrapped up around plotting a revenge around the guy who enabled your success for so many decades.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2021, 05:47 PM
anusha anusha is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 69
Default

I agree that the tone of the coverage isn't great -- probably that is where Stevie's own stardom and her savvy moves to establish herself as an icon to younger generations will always win. How many of the journalists covering him are younger and admire Stevie?

I think it's easy for any of us to feel that Lindsey is making his own bed here, in terms of the bad press, and some of that is true. But the stories actually don't pick up some of the origins here -- specifically how the band gaslit the public and Lindsey by saying Lindsey didn't want to tour as the reason for firing him, and how he literally had to file a lawsuit to beat that back. I mean the level of lying was absurd -- I mean, if Stevie had said in 2018 that she has known him for 50 years, and while she wishes him well, she cannot work with him any more, we would have been sad, but I don't think the level of anger/disgust would be where it is. I know I would have said, you know, I'm sad they can't work together, but she has a right to avoid someone where there is so much conflict.

She couldn't do that. It wasn't enough for her to fire him -- she also wanted to come out as the hero, or at least without any of the blame for the thing she did. That's complete garbage, and that's what she is still trying to do in her responses to his comments in the pre-album media. He said a lot of rather awful things about them, but you know what, the comments aren't untrue, and they've all done pretty awful things to him -- Mick and (to a lesser extent) Christine talked about how much easier it was without Lindsey, and Mick was the main person spreading the Lindsey wouldn't tour storyline. And that was after Lindsey made an album and toured with Chris, and spent a lifetime working with Mick. On some level, why should he pretend they were better people than they are -- he was probably asked why they didn't stand up for him, and the answers are the answers -- no lies detected there.

I don't think it makes any of them look good. The cynic in me says that this is all a set up for a major cashing in tour with Lindsey back, because it would drum up serious interest. But maybe it's just that they're all deeply flawed people who really should avoid each other for everyone's sanity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2021, 10:43 AM
sleepless child's Avatar
sleepless child sleepless child is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha View Post
I agree that the tone of the coverage isn't great -- probably that is where Stevie's own stardom and her savvy moves to establish herself as an icon to younger generations will always win. How many of the journalists covering him are younger and admire Stevie?

I think it's easy for any of us to feel that Lindsey is making his own bed here, in terms of the bad press, and some of that is true. But the stories actually don't pick up some of the origins here -- specifically how the band gaslit the public and Lindsey by saying Lindsey didn't want to tour as the reason for firing him, and how he literally had to file a lawsuit to beat that back. I mean the level of lying was absurd -- I mean, if Stevie had said in 2018 that she has known him for 50 years, and while she wishes him well, she cannot work with him any more, we would have been sad, but I don't think the level of anger/disgust would be where it is. I know I would have said, you know, I'm sad they can't work together, but she has a right to avoid someone where there is so much conflict.

She couldn't do that. It wasn't enough for her to fire him -- she also wanted to come out as the hero, or at least without any of the blame for the thing she did. That's complete garbage, and that's what she is still trying to do in her responses to his comments in the pre-album media. He said a lot of rather awful things about them, but you know what, the comments aren't untrue, and they've all done pretty awful things to him -- Mick and (to a lesser extent) Christine talked about how much easier it was without Lindsey, and Mick was the main person spreading the Lindsey wouldn't tour storyline. And that was after Lindsey made an album and toured with Chris, and spent a lifetime working with Mick. On some level, why should he pretend they were better people than they are -- he was probably asked why they didn't stand up for him, and the answers are the answers -- no lies detected there.

I don't think it makes any of them look good. The cynic in me says that this is all a set up for a major cashing in tour with Lindsey back, because it would drum up serious interest. But maybe it's just that they're all deeply flawed people who really should avoid each other for everyone's sanity.
Well said. I agree. Lindsey has a right to speak his truth about the band and what was done to him. He seems brutally honest for once. No hedging or speaking in a round about way. The 5 will never share a stage again after this. Stevie is beyond pissed. But she should have told the truth at the beginning. All of this would have probably blown over by now. It really amazes me though, that they were mature enough in their 20's to break up and still work together, but in their 70's and towards the end of a great career, they can't seem to do it. And that falls on the shoulders of Stevie Nicks.
__________________

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2021, 12:12 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 13,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Well said. I agree. Lindsey has a right to speak his truth about the band and what was done to him. He seems brutally honest for once. No hedging or speaking in a round about way. The 5 will never share a stage again after this. Stevie is beyond pissed. But she should have told the truth at the beginning. All of this would have probably blown over by now. It really amazes me though, that they were mature enough in their 20's to break up and still work together, but in their 70's and towards the end of a great career, they can't seem to do it. And that falls on the shoulders of Stevie Nicks.
I don't think she's capable of telling the truth. She's been spinning her stories for so many decades now, that I think she believes the drivel that slides down her chin.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2021, 12:46 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he was, and i guess no press is bad press.... but the slant that was picked up from his interviews today was not a good one. he sounds tone deaf, even though he threw all these particular daggers Stevie's way many times before. and even though Stevie's publicist-crafted response was basically admitting that she got him fired, and worse for her yet, that she started plotting this revenge on him all the way back in 1968 and finally got to pull the trigger with Azoff's help in 2018. sounds like a sad life being wrapped up around plotting a revenge around the guy who enabled your success for so many decades.
Youíre right. And it isnít going to sell more records either. I predict that. You canít say some things. We know itís true but other people do not.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2021, 01:01 PM
GypsyVisions GypsyVisions is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You’re right. And it isn’t going to sell more records either. I predict that. You can’t say some things. We know it’s true but other people do not.
We'll see. Press attention of this magnitude plus the growing number of enthusiastic queer folk on twitter... You never know. It will be interesting to see which chart position the new album hits.


(I'm one of the queer folk.)

Last edited by GypsyVisions; 09-10-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2021, 03:19 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyVisions View Post
We'll see. Press attention of this magnitude plus the growing number of enthusiastic queer folk on twitter... You never know. It will be interesting to see which chart position the new album hits.


(I'm one of the queer folk.)
I'm not being flippant at all when I say this, but I am curious the connection to the queer community and LB...?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2021, 08:28 PM
GypsyVisions GypsyVisions is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I'm not being flippant at all when I say this, but I am curious the connection to the queer community and LB...?


I shouldnít generalize really, seeing as how Stevie has a loyal gay following and all. But there just seems to be a growing number of younger queer fans of Lindsey on Twitter. I follow a lot of them and enjoy their perspective (Iím 33 for the record, so Iím talking about the 20 something crowd.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2021, 01:08 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyVisions View Post
I shouldnít generalize really, seeing as how Stevie has a loyal gay following and all. But there just seems to be a growing number of younger queer fans of Lindsey on Twitter. I follow a lot of them and enjoy their perspective (Iím 33 for the record, so Iím talking about the 20 something crowd.)
Hmmm. Good to know.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2021, 08:55 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyVisions View Post
I shouldnít generalize really, seeing as how Stevie has a loyal gay following and all. But there just seems to be a growing number of younger queer fans of Lindsey on Twitter. I follow a lot of them and enjoy their perspective (Iím 33 for the record, so Iím talking about the 20 something crowd.)
thanks for that explanation!

someday you'll be as old as some of us on this board and you will chuckle at thinking you are not young at 33 ; ) And I don't mean that in a snarky way at all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-13-2021, 06:22 PM
GypsyVisions GypsyVisions is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
thanks for that explanation!

someday you'll be as old as some of us on this board and you will chuckle at thinking you are not young at 33 ; ) And I don't mean that in a snarky way at all.
You're welcome! And...haha...I do know I'm young, but these kids today really seem to think anyone over 25 is ancient. We know it isn't true. But they don't!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-13-2021, 09:41 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,715
Default

https://dothaneagle.com/community/jc...e82169626.html

MUSIC

ó Self-titled albums are important milestones and Lindsey Buckingham is releasing one on Friday at age 71. It's the former Fleetwood Mac singer and guitarist's first solo release since 2011's "Seeds We Sow" and his seventh solo studio collection. "Lindsey Buckingham" was finished nearly four years ago and has as its singles, "I Don't Mind,""Scream" and "On the Wrong Side." Lately, Buckingham has been appearing on other artists' work, including The Killers' "Imploding the Mirage" and Halsey's "If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power."
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Fleetwood Mac Rumours New Vinyl Record 2020 UK Reissue picture

Fleetwood Mac Rumours New Vinyl Record 2020 UK Reissue

$28.99



Free People Fleetwood Mac T Shirt picture

Free People Fleetwood Mac T Shirt

$15.99



LP-FLEETWOOD MAC-GREATEST HITS NEW VINYL RECORD picture

LP-FLEETWOOD MAC-GREATEST HITS NEW VINYL RECORD

$22.93



60 Great CLASSIC ROCK Hits * 70's & 80's * New 3-CD Boxset * All Original Hits picture

60 Great CLASSIC ROCK Hits * 70's & 80's * New 3-CD Boxset * All Original Hits

$13.97



Rumours [35th Anniversary Edition] [LP] by Fleetwood Mac (Vinyl, Apr-2011, Rhino picture

Rumours [35th Anniversary Edition] [LP] by Fleetwood Mac (Vinyl, Apr-2011, Rhino

$29.99




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved