The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey hasn't said anything that he hasn't said before. But now Stevie has had enough and finally answered back. And not very well in my opinion. A lot of people may be mad at him, but I say it's about time to call them out. What they did to him was wrong and the truth in the end always wins.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-10-2021, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
We all know that, for most of the planet, Fleetwood Mac is basically about us watching them squabble and fall apart over and over again, rather like the Royal Family here in the UK. Nobody is really interested in the boring stuff - 'this is a new song'/'Prince William has opened a new mental health charity' - what we want is scandal! 'Lindsey Buckingham reignites feud with Stevie Nicks!'/'Is William cheating on Kate?' That's what they're there for now.

I think it's fascinating that this has all blown up in the same week that ABBA released their new songs and announced a new album and show. They were always being compared in the 70s, weren't they? Loved-up couples singing songs about themselves, then bitter splits and break-up records... The difference seems to be that ABBA have turned out to be emotionally mature adults, who recognise what their legacy means to their millions of fans (and to themselves), and have come together again for one last wonderful project, while there's still time.

Fleetwood Mac, on the other hand, just serve us another bowlful of bile en route to the retirement home, and torpedo the chance to give their story a meaningful ending.
possibly also the difference between Swedish and American cultures.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Lindsey hasn't said anything that he hasn't said before. But now Stevie has had enough and finally answered back. And not very well in my opinion. A lot of people may be mad at him, but I say it's about time to call them out. What they did to him was wrong and the truth in the end always wins.

I think these 2 just need to have one last roll in the sheets!
Old 09-11-2021, 03:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
possibly also the difference between Swedish and American cultures.
I'm sure that's true! The Swedes seem to be much more civilised and mature about these things. Something to aspire to, perhaps?

But there is more to it that that. ABBA are clearly aware of their legacy, and wanted to honour it with new work, so they've overcome whatever emotional obstacles that were there in their past to create something that continues their story. FM - with the clear exception of Lindsey - seem to have no idea of what they represent to their fans, or at least no interest in it. Why should they, I suppose? They don't owe us anything; it's up to them whether or not they make new work or not.

They seem to have decided that their true legacy is dysfunction and conflict.

Last edited by tango87; 09-11-2021 at 04:10 AM..
Old 09-11-2021, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure that's true! The Swedes seem to be much more civilised and mature about these things. Something to aspire to, perhaps?

But there is more to it that that. ABBA are clearly aware of their legacy, and wanted to honour it with new work, so they've overcome whatever emotional obstacles that were there in their past to create something that continues their story. FM - with the clear exception of Lindsey - seem to have no idea of what they represent to their fans, or at least no interest in it. Why should they, I suppose? They don't owe us anything; it's up to them whether or not they make new work or not.

They seem to have decided that their true legacy is dysfunction and conflict.
This is spot on. Other band members have acknowledged the multiple generations attending their concerts, but it’s really only Lindsey who began to understand why at a deeper level and what the bands legacy has come to mean to them. He’s the first to acknowledge that that there is in fact a segment of people who want to hear more than the hits.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Lindsey was definitely pushing Stevie's buttons by calling her "Trump-like" but it's an analogy some of the Ledgies (jbrownsjr anyone?) have been making for over a year.

(And anyone who writes a condescending, self-serving "song" like "Show Them the Way" in which great political figures and social justice heroes bow to her for answers...well, that level of delusion is...Trump-like. It doesn't matter if the song purports to be an anthem for progressive social change. The very way in which she portrays herself and others in that song says everything.)

By making this analogy, Lindsey knows the only way back in to Fleetwood Mac is to climb down into the crevasse, take the plunge into potentially self-annihilating territory, to blow everything up and hope doing so allows him space to climb out and pick up the pieces. I think he has a BETTER chance of returning to the fold BECAUSE of the incendiary comments and his rattling Nicks and Azoff. I could be wrong. We'll see.

Meanwhile, John is on his boat or in his home and is sleeping like a baby regardless of how any of this turns out.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes, Lindsey was definitely pushing Stevie's buttons by calling her "Trump-like" but it's an analogy some of the Ledgies (jbrownsjr anyone?) have been making for over a year.

(And anyone who writes a condescending, self-serving "song" like "Show Them the Way" in which great political figures and social justice heroes bow to her for answers...well, that level of delusion is...Trump-like. It doesn't matter if the song purports to be an anthem for progressive social change. The very way in which she portrays herself and others in that song says everything.)

By making this analogy, Lindsey knows the only way back in to Fleetwood Mac is to climb down into the crevasse, take the plunge into potentially self-annihilating territory, to blow everything up and hope doing so allows him space to climb out and pick up the pieces. I think he has a BETTER chance of returning to the fold BECAUSE of the incendiary comments and his rattling Nicks and Azoff. I could be wrong. We'll see.

Meanwhile, John is on his boat or in his home and is sleeping like a baby regardless of how any of this turns out.
Can I say that you are a genius? This is so well written and thought out. You're a Ledgend.

You should see her post today for 9/11. She says she became a New Yorker that day... as she sat in the Waldorf. My partner and I were taking care of and feeding persons who couldn't get home to the Boroughs that day in our apartment.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Can I say that you are a genius? This is so well written and thought out. You're a Ledgend.

You should see her post today for 9/11. She says she became a New Yorker that day... as she sat in the Waldorf. My partner and I were taking care of and feeding persons who couldn't get home to the Boroughs that day in our apartment.
A genius! A legend! I’m flattered and amused. I can be as big an idiot as the next person. But thank you.

Ironically, I was supposed to see Stevie Nicks on 9/12 in Rochester, but she was stuck in NYC and then canceled the tour later that week. I imagine being in NYC when this all went down had to be life-changing. But a New Yorker she is not. lol

And btw: thank YOU for the work you did after that tragedy.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
A genius! A legend! I’m flattered and amused. I can be as big an idiot as the next person. But thank you.

Ironically, I was supposed to see Stevie Nicks on 9/12 in Rochester, but she was stuck in NYC and then canceled the tour later that week. I imagine being in NYC when this all went down had to be life-changing. But a New Yorker she is not. lol

It's true Tony, your beautiful writing inspires me. I couldn't imagine the ledge without you. If you weren't here, I'd fire myself from Michele.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It was my honor to help! I just brought that up to share that I believe one doesn't become a New Yorker because they couldn't get to LaGuardia or JFK due to a lockdown on the island of Manhattan.

Out of state people who helped others who were stranded or in peril that day became New Yorkers, and those who passed that day, were wounded that day, or suffer health issues from that day became New Yorkers

I was a New Yorker because I lived there.

Thinking of that day makes my heart hurt. But New York stands proud today.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's true Tony, your beautiful writing inspires me. I couldn't imagine the ledge without you. If you weren't here, I'd fire myself from Michele.
Jbrowns, you're not the boss of this band.

The interviewer should've sent a followup to the "fired myself" statement... are you self-employed?
Old 09-11-2021, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think it's fascinating that this has all blown up in the same week that ABBA released their new songs and announced a new album and show. They were always being compared in the 70s, weren't they? Loved-up couples singing songs about themselves, then bitter splits and break-up records... The difference seems to be that ABBA have turned out to be emotionally mature adults, who recognise what their legacy means to their millions of fans (and to themselves), and have come together again for one last wonderful project, while there's still time.

Fleetwood Mac, on the other hand, just serve us another bowlful of bile en route to the retirement home, and torpedo the chance to give their story a meaningful ending.
My ABBA fandom predates my Fleetwood Mac fandom by a couple of years back in the 1970s . After that I kind of switched between the two as ABBA became inactive . This past week I am switching back to ABBA as number one ..forever.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Awww, thanks! Because of you I can afford to buy my new house.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Awww, thanks! Because of you I can afford to buy my new house.
You two would make a great couple.

Just stating the obvious!
Old 09-12-2021, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You two would make a great couple.

Just stating the obvious!
Interesting fact: we were born on the same day of the same year.