The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Tango in the Night: Side 1 or Side 2?
Side 1 29 85.29%
Side 2 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Welcome to the Room...Sara: Official Appreciation Society

Ooh downstairs where the big old house is mine.
Ooh upstairs where the stars laugh and shine....

Absolutely brilliant song. Definitely in their top 40 songs.
Are you with me?????
I said, are you with me???
Honk Honk
But I thought that

you were miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
you were miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

WELCOME TO ROOM!!!

SARA.....................SARA......................

WELCOME TO THE ROOM EVERYONE!!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-22-2021 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome to the Room...Sara just seems like too much of a regurgitation
Using the Sara name, almost to the point of parody. She had a treasure trove of way better songs, but where she was at vocally, would have been tough to do any of them justice, but Secret Love comes to mind for the sweetness vibe they were going for in other songs, that alone would've flowed better. Lyrically leaving those ridiculous stairs alone other than getting the unidentified lover to go upstairs rather than staring at them or finding the big old house that's hers upstairs. Also a spooky Joan of Ark if they could've done something with the turn to the wall, it would've majorly clunked with staring at the stairs a few tracks later.

Last edited by On Ice; 04-22-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Welcome to the Room...Sara just seems like too much of a regurgitation
Using the Sara name, almost to the point of parody.
According to Mick's first book this is the reason of the name "Sara" in that song.

"Welcome to the Room, Sara" was a graphic depiction of her experience at the Betty Ford Center, where she had checked in under the pseudonym Sara Anderson.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I recall that as well Villavic from Mick's book. I can appreciate what she was trying to do with the song, but it's one that should not have gone onto a major Fleetwood Mac release at the time when better songs were plentiful. Especially up against the powerhouse McVie tracks.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I recall that as well Villavic from Mick's book. I can appreciate what she was trying to do with the song, but it's one that should not have gone onto a major Fleetwood Mac release at the time when better songs were plentiful. Especially up against the powerhouse McVie tracks.
Which begs to give Sandy Stewart a lot of credit. She saved that side 1. Seven Wonders of that first 3 trilogy is just fantastic.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Which begs to give Sandy Stewart a lot of credit. She saved that side 1. Seven Wonders of that first 3 trilogy is just fantastic.
I'm sure that she was able to buy a new house with the royalties there in Texas.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I'm sure that she was able to buy a new house with the royalties there in Texas.
She found the rainbow's end.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I sort of wish the other song What Has Rock N Roll Ever Done For You made Tango instead of Welcome. I think Stevie wanted something fresh and she had just ran away from Betty Ford and rejoined the band. I think she wanted to make a statement about her retaliation against Frontline and everyone else.
She had some great material in her wings but contributed 2 weak self penned songs. This is what you get when you don't spend much time in the studio with your band. In some strange way, Tango is almost like a second edition of Rock A Little. She relied on someone else's song to give her a hit.
I always got a kick out of the line "This is a dream, right?" Its not a line that is sung and she speaks it. Its always been funny to me. It just doesn't work but I get the symbolism of the song.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
That Stevie muscled a co-writing credit from her friend and long-term collaborator for the addition of one word, and then some ad libs at the end, is truly unconscionable. It’s a huge insult to Stewart. And on that basis, Lindsey should have received co-writing credits for 9/10 of Stevie’s songs. Ridiculous.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tough one. IIM and Family Man are the best tracks (along with Mystified) I begrudge side 1 for TITN and Caroline back-to-back. I begrudge side 2 for having both of those Stevie songs that I don’t hate as much as other people do.

So side 2.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That Stevie muscled a co-writing credit from her friend and long-term collaborator for the addition of one word, and then some ad libs at the end, is truly unconscionable. It’s a huge insult to Stewart. And on that basis, Lindsey should have received co-writing credits for 9/10 of Stevie’s songs. Ridiculous.
Does anyone know whether Stevie has ever been challenged on this?
It is indeed ridiculous. Though Sandy Stewart did well from this song, she surely would have done a whole lot better had she had full credit (as she deserved).

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-26-2021, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is indeed ridiculous. Though Sandy Stewart did well from this song, she surely would have done a whole lot better had she had full credit (as she deserved).
Sandy probably left it alone for fear of offending the old harridan who used more of her songs on her solo albums after Tango although the payday would not be as great a having a single on the 12 million selling Tango.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
To be fair, Stevie really co-writes all her songs. She writes lyrics for sure... but the music??? It's a stretch. Even Landslide smells of Lindsey to me. Of course, we've discussed IDWK. And so many others, (solo and Mac).
Old 04-26-2021, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
To be fair, Stevie really co-writes all her songs. She writes lyrics for sure... but the music??? It's a stretch. Even Landslide smells of Lindsey to me. Of course, we've discussed IDWK. And so many others, (solo and Mac).
Yeah Stevie's musical skills are modest to say the least. I think that the difference with Seven Wonders is that it was completely composed by Sandy who wanted to use it on her Blue Yonder album and someone talked her into letting Stevie have it for Tango apparently telling her that her bank account would like it. Getting a percentage of the royalties for mishearing a lyric and babbling Emmaline is just tacky ..but then we need to consider the source.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I think Stevie is very generous with her co-writing credits. It goes both ways. She may have written very little if anything of 7 Wonders but gave herself credit. The roles could have been reversed in other songs. How much did Sandy contribute to If Anyone Falls. Stevie could have written most of that song and I think she said that and Sandy gave her a few lines. The song also credits Sandy and Roy for synthesizer. Lets be real, Roy is very talented and I would bet my life its him on the main grind of the synthesizer. Sandy also co-wrote Nightbird which Sandy plays that dreaded keyboard beginning, like someone squeezing drugged cats. Sandy's piano sounds very basic on The Wild Heart song too. What did her brother deserve to get co-writes on The Nightmare? I think he may have wheeled in the same glass table

That last joke credit is to Jeremy Gloff from his RAL podcast. It was too good not to use again.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-26-2021 at 05:09 PM..