Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Destiny Rules documentary

I felt like watching this was but didn't feel like trying to find my DVD. I was happy to find the whole thing uploaded onto YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQOjptfZLJ4

Anyone watched this lately, especially after Lindsey's firing and everything that happened? What does everyone think about the documentary now?

I'm in the middle of watching it now. Had to laugh out loud at this exchange:

Stevie: Maybe we should have your guy mix, like, two of my songs that are...
Lindsey: Two, now? Okay.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-23-2022, 12:04 AM
Ledgie

Simply put: you can easily see that the rest of the band can’t stand him but they put up with him for his creative genius . Stevie is over dramatic and reactionary but Lindsey really just goes out of his way to antagonize her.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not just for creativity, but for the name value of the (almost) Rumours lineup reforming for an album, which they actually seem to expect to sell much better than it would.

Behind The Mask and Time had sold poorly, while Tango and The Dance had sold well. The common denominator to good sales seemed to be having Lindsey and Stevie together.

I thought he downplayed her value [after getting her songs done he says they now just have to get her "presence on" (rather than "contribution to") his songs]. But how did he go out of his way to antagonize her?

I will say this: His idea of making it a double-CD was crazy (18 songs were too many). Stevie barely had enough songs to contribute to a single-disc album. If you can't say what you have to say in 80 minutes, something's wrong. He should have done what he "threatened" to do at the beginning: given them his most commercial songs and kept the others for solo work. He may have feared he couldn't get solo work released, but if he had gone to a label like Artemis he probably could have.

Last edited by cbBen; 12-23-2022 at 03:51 AM..
Old 12-23-2022, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I watched it on youtube a few years ago. In some ways it does not feel that long ago and in other ways its a reminder how long ago it was. Its fun to see the "old" cars and flip phones.
I really enjoyed it and glad they did it. I wish we could have gotten one for another album. I was so empathetic to Lindsey's plight. You can see so many of his Tusk elements for SYW. Everyone wanted a shorter commercial album. The sad part is when Mick says Lindsey will be really hurt and destroyed if the album only sells 500k copies. And guess what, the album sold 500k copies. Even that shows how long ago this was because an album today selling 500k copies would be hugely successful. The music industry was changing at such a rapid fashion.
I know I am in a minority on this board but I love the album. Of course it was hollow without Chris. But I am thankful they went forward and created the album. I really don't hate any of the songs. It used to be my workout CD back in the day so I must have listened to it a million times.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

I know I am in a minority on this board but I love the album. Of course it was hollow without Chris. But I am thankful they went forward and created the album. I really don't hate any of the songs. It used to be my workout CD back in the day so I must have listened to it a million times.
I also love this album…it took months to get into it, and even now it’s not always easy listening.
But I like that, something that’s complex and great to really get your teeth into.
Yes a couple of the songs I don’t appreciate…..but it never was Rumours.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It used to be my workout CD back in the day
Destiny Rules is a great driving song.

I used to listen to it cycling home from work late at night, hurtling past the city lights and along a dark river. Now it always takes me back there.
Old 12-23-2022, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I watched it on youtube a few years ago. In some ways it does not feel that long ago and in other ways its a reminder how long ago it was. Its fun to see the "old" cars and flip phones.

I totally agree. I rewatched it a few months ago and got a strange sense of nostalgia. My mind still thinks of SYW as their “new” album despite it being nearly 20 years old. Listening to it brings back the excitement of being 12 and going to Tower Records after school to buy a brand new Fleetwood Mac CD for the first time ever.

Of course I could (and have) spend hours imagining how much better and different it would have been if Chris had been part of it. (That could be a whole other thread in itself.) But I’m also glad it happened. I’d place Thrown Down, Smile At You, Everybody Finds Out, and Destiny Rules among Stevie’s best songs of all time, and I like most of Lindsey’s songs on it too. Plus I see it as the spark that started the long cycles of touring that eventually gave Christine something to come back to when she was ready.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
Plus I see it as the spark that started the long cycles of touring that eventually gave Christine something to come back to when she was ready.
Endless touring started when people stopped buying cds. Artists were no longer making enough money off album sales, and had to resort to touring constantly for the income.
Old 12-23-2022, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Endless touring started when people stopped buying cds. Artists were no longer making enough money off album sales, and had to resort to touring constantly for the income.
I’m not sure how much of that applies to Fleetwood Mac. Rumours alone has to line their pockets.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-23-2022, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m not sure how much of that applies to Fleetwood Mac. Rumours alone has to line their pockets.
So that's why Mick has been bankrupt(financially, but also morally) so many times.

They haven't earned much from BTM, Time, SYW, or BuckVie. And Tango is 35 years ago.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
So that's why Mick has been bankrupt(financially, but also morally) so many times.

They haven't earned much from BTM, Time, SYW, or BuckVie. And Tango is 35 years ago.
I’d be willing to bet all of his bankruptcies since 1984 are Chapter 7 to do away with business debts. I’d be shocked if most of his ventures aren’t LLCs. That’s completely different from what happened in 1984. Businesses do it all of the time.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-23-2022, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Destiny Rules is a great driving song.

I used to listen to it cycling home from work late at night, hurtling past the city lights and along a dark river. Now it always takes me back there.
Absolutely.
It was my jogging CD if you could picture that today its laughable but if you remember when portable CD players came out they would skip if you jerked it or ran with it. The more expensive ones did not skip and I was so proud of it. So much of the album has an intenseness good for running or cycling. Even songs like Illume are angry and make you give that extra punch. When Everybody Finds Out came on, my pace would definitely pick up.
Your line about cycling next to a dark river with city lights in the background brings me to:
I like the coastal cities, I like the lights
I like the way the ocean bends into the city at night
It's like living on a working river this coastline is glittering
Like a diamond snake In a black sky

I love when the music hits home like that

When OSOTM came out I was under the influence of something walking along Daytona Beach at night listening to the cassette. It was one of the most magical times in my life and the part in Ghosts "and you feel as if someone is following you" I would always turn around and look

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-23-2022 at 06:17 PM..
Old 12-25-2022, 12:42 PM

To me, this documentary is a clear visual of Lindsey trying to produce a Fleetwood Mac album, and Stevie's politics taking over the band in a way where, even her staff nearly have the same standing as a member of the band.

The album itself is non-cohesive and cold to say the least. Some great tunes on SYW, but the ^ above^ shift in power is playing out on a documentary. Add to that, the heart of Fleetwood Mac was in Great Britain restoring a house.

Two egos, an industry that's not even close to considering a single album, let alone a double. From a band that is absent of a key singer/songwriter.

Touring is the only option now to keep everyone afloat financially. Let's just hope the experience was good for Stevie since she has all the star power.
Let's see how this plays out.
Old 12-25-2022, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
To me, this documentary is a clear visual of Lindsey trying to produce a Fleetwood Mac album, and Stevie's politics taking over the band in a way where, even her staff nearly have the same standing as a member of the band.

The album itself is non-cohesive and cold to say the least. Some great tunes on SYW, but the ^ above^ shift in power is playing out on a documentary. Add to that, the heart of Fleetwood Mac was in Great Britain restoring a house.

Two egos, an industry that's not even close to considering a single album, let alone a double. From a band that is absent of a key singer/songwriter.

Touring is the only option now to keep everyone afloat financially. Let's just hope the experience was good for Stevie since she has all the star power.
I think the documentary shows that Stevie got what she wanted with this album. Her favorite Chris Lord-Alge mixed her songs, but she wound up liking Mark Needham's mixes better so she only used Chris Lord-Alge's mix for one song.

I also wonder if they did a double album, how many songs would it have been? 30? And would Stevie have brought songs that were on In Your Dreams or 24 Karat Gold to the table for Say You Will?
Old 12-25-2022, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's played out. Over. Kaput.

Christine's death was the end. The stupid old goat firing Lindsey ended the band for me. Now with Christine's loss, THEY'RE DEAD TO ME. I'd go to a Lindsey solo show, but other than that, Mick can starve to death, for all I care. Merry Christmas, indeed...