User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I can't think of anything more awful... .

I think it's Christine's understated vocals that make her special, actually. There are plenty of people doing vocal acrobatics in her stead. Actually, when I play the Mac for my friends, they all always comment on how much they love Christine's voice... and not anybody else's. Sometimes less really is more!
I said I wondered what she would sound like; I never wished she would start singing that way. I agree; less is more. If anything, there is an odd plainness about her voice that makes her very unusual at the same time. But I don't think she intentionally holds back- I truly think her style of singing comes from a very natural place. Accordingly, I doubt she has the pipes to tackle a big showtune, but that's perfectly fine with me since she writes her own songs and doesn't sing showtunes. She does what she does splendidly.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did Chris ever take singing lessons or get any coaching? Some of her early Mac performances, pre-B&N (and even a few with them) were pretty off-key. She seemed to straighten herself out after awhile. I love her to bits, don't get me wrong, but she has had a few bum moments on stage.

Just the booze?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Did Chris ever take singing lessons or get any coaching? Some of her early Mac performances, pre-B&N (and even a few with them) were pretty off-key. She seemed to straighten herself out after awhile. I love her to bits, don't get me wrong, but she has had a few bum moments on stage.

Just the booze?
I think it's a combination of the booze, stage jitters and distraction. I am convinced that playing an instrument and singing at the same time automatically means that you are going to compromise your singing as well as your playing; it's just impossible to do both at the same time to the best of your ability. Sure, you can get better at multi-tasking over time, but an extra glass (or five) of Chardonnay will only help to undermine your progress.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
There is a style of singing that is very popular these days that I call the "diva" style of singing. It's women singers (mostly) who add a lot of extra notes to their singing that aren't in the melody. Just about any female singer who does the Star Spangled Banner at a sporting event sings in this style (just for an example).

And I hate it. I absolutely totally hate it. When they sing a song in this fashion I cringe, and I wonder WHAT makes them think this is the right way to sing! A song has a melody for a reason, and it's not to mangle it.

I could not agree more! I can't stand it when someone sings tons of extra notes. I just want to scream SING THE BLODDY TUNE

Thank you I feel so much better now

Gail
Old 05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Just the booze?
I remember seeing them at Wembley Stadium for the Behind the Mask tour and she sang a few bum notes. Around that time a lot of bands were being acused of miming. I knew FM weren't - no one would mime a note like that

Gail
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
There is a style of singing that is very popular these days that I call the "diva" style of singing. It's women singers (mostly) who add a lot of extra notes to their singing that aren't in the melody. Just about any female singer who does the Star Spangled Banner at a sporting event sings in this style (just for an example).

And I hate it. I absolutely totally hate it. When they sing a song in this fashion I cringe, and I wonder WHAT makes them think this is the right way to sing! A song has a melody for a reason, and it's not to mangle it.

Send a "thank you" card to Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey for that annoying as hell technique. Just about everybody who's followed in their footsteps have taken that to an even MORE annoying level (Christina Aguilera, for one)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I think it's a combination of the booze, stage jitters and distraction. I am convinced that playing an instrument and singing at the same time automatically means that you are going to compromise your singing as well as your playing; it's just impossible to do both at the same time to the best of your ability. Sure, you can get better at multi-tasking over time, but an extra glass (or five) of Chardonnay will only help to undermine your progress.
This is evidenced in the Tusk doc, when she tries to sing and play Never Make Me Cry. On a boat, of all places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I remember seeing them at Wembley Stadium for the Behind the Mask tour and she sang a few bum notes. Around that time a lot of bands were being acused of miming. I knew FM weren't - no one would mime a note like that

Gail
No Milli Vanilli scandal for FM!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Just the booze?
Agreed... all three of them have been terrible at some points throught 1975-1998
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agreed... all three of them have been terrible at some points throught 1975-1998
When you're really f*cked up onstage, it's easy to get confused on pitch, as your hearing really starts playing tricks on you. Believe me, I know....been there, done that. I finally learned my limits....buzz is okay, f*cked up is not!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
When you're really f*cked up onstage, it's easy to get confused on pitch, as your hearing really starts playing tricks on you. Believe me, I know....been there, done that. I finally learned my limits....buzz is okay, f*cked up is not!
yeah vision, speech and hearing are the first to go.. then the legs...
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah vision, speech and hearing are the first to go.. then the legs...
Not me, only my hearing. I used to play with a drummer, who'd tell me, "David, most guys THINK they play better when they've got a good buzz, but they don't! You're the only guy I've ever heard, that does". I took that as high praise(pun!)!
My keyboard playing is probably better straight, but my lead guitar stuff is definitely better buzzed. When I'm buzzed, I can let my solo meander out into places I can't get to otherwise. Wanna know my best nights ever? If I'm sick(sick sick) as a dog. Gimme the flu, and I can really go places I'd never find otherwise. Yeah, I'm a freak. I know.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Not me, only my hearing. I used to play with a drummer, who'd tell me, "David, most guys THINK they play better when they've got a good buzz, but they don't! You're the only guy I've ever heard, that does". I took that as high praise(pun!)!
My keyboard playing is probably better straight, but my lead guitar stuff is definitely better buzzed. When I'm buzzed, I can let my solo meander out into places I can't get to otherwise. Wanna know my best nights ever? If I'm sick(sick sick) as a dog. Gimme the flu, and I can really go places I'd never find otherwise. Yeah, I'm a freak. I know.
you are... but it takes one to know one..
Old 05-14-2010, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you are... but it takes one to know one..
I resemble that remark!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I resemble that remark!

homer i look up... everytime that you walk in the room... and then i sing.. Welcome to the Roooooom Homer..
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
homer i look up... everytime that you walk in the room... and then i sing.. Welcome to the Roooooom Homer..
Then you break into a sing-along Homie Hi!