User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I definitely want to see Domino and the Professor. Love Mel Gibson’s Apocalypto. Movie got ignored simply because people didn’t like Mel. Thank u.
My full review of Apocalypto is in my book The Community of Desire.

(Also review The Passion of the Christ there too)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

16. Child’s Play, grade C+ = this is not a remake - it’s a reimagining. There a different origin to the evil of the doll. Basically it’s a “smart doll” gone bad. The movie is very quick to start and is not long. There is some decent gorey moments and it’s pretty good until the end. The lame ending is what really hurts this movie. Still it’s watchable and better than what I thought it would be.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

17. Annabelle Comes Home, grade B - = tons of atmosphere, nice little story, a bunch of jump scares. Not as good as Annabelle Creation, but decent and a lot better than the Nun. They did try on this one.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/johnd...f-2019-so-far/
THE NINE WORTHIES: 9 Best Movies of 2019 (so far)

1. Shadow (Zhang Yimou)
2. Domino (Brian De Palma)
3. The Image Book (Jean-Luc Godard)
4. The Legend of the Demon Cat (Chen Kaige)
5. Dragged Across Concrete (S. Craig Zahler)
6. Sorry Angel (Christophe Honoré)
7. Sauvage/Wild (Camille Vidal-Naquet)
8. Pasolini (Abel Ferrara)
9. The Professor and the Madman (Farhad Safinia)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/johnd...f-2019-so-far/
THE NINE WORTHIES: 9 Best Movies of 2019 (so far)

1. Shadow (Zhang Yimou)
2. Domino (Brian De Palma)
3. The Image Book (Jean-Luc Godard)
4. The Legend of the Demon Cat (Chen Kaige)
5. Dragged Across Concrete (S. Craig Zahler)
6. Sorry Angel (Christophe Honoré)
7. Sauvage/Wild (Camille Vidal-Naquet)
8. Pasolini (Abel Ferrara)
9. The Professor and the Madman (Farhad Safinia)
I haven’t even seen any of these movies advertised yet.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I haven’t even seen any of these movies advertised yet.
It’s true. The best movies don’t get advertised.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It’s true. The best movies don’t get advertised.
But what does that mean nowadays? TV advertising?

I've seen all of their trailers on iTunes trailers, I believe.

They all had theatrical runs in theaters in the United States this year, so they got reviewed (which is basically an extension of advertising).

Domino, The Image Book, Dragged Across Concrete, Sorry Angel, and The Professor and the Madman are already available for rent or purchase on iTunes.

I *think* you mean that none of these films were hyped, which is true.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:59 AM

I've seen Rocketman just yesterday and I liked it incredibly much. It's a real musical in which Elton John's songs are used to describe and convey what he was going through during the changes he underwent in his rambunctious life rather than follow his artistic timeline. The best scene is probably the moment in which Elton sings "Your Song" for the first time but I don't want to spoil the details.
Taron Egerton's acting and singing performance was amazing and he really looked like the original, especially in the first part.
The movie was both touching and funny, and didn't shy away from showing the most controversial aspects of John's life while remaining descreet. I thought it would have wrapped up in another way in another moment of Elton John's life but I don't mind that the movie ended with an uplift tone.
The only downside is that I don't think the film and its actors will receive deserved recognition because it's a bit of a niche work, oriented towards the adult public that already like and know the artist, added to the fact that it came out in theaters in a less favorable moment.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-02-2019 at 02:58 PM..
Old 07-05-2019, 03:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've seen Rocketman just yesterday and I liked it incredibly much. It's a real musical in which Elton John's songs are used to describe and convey what he was going through during the changes he underwent in his rambunctious life rather than follow his artistic timeline. The best scene is probably the moment in which Elton sings "Your Song" for the first time but I don't want to spoil the details.
Taron Egerton's acting and singing performance was amazing and he really looked like the original, especially in the first part.
The movie was both touching and funny, and didn't shy away from showing the most controversial aspects of John's life while remaining descreet. I thought it would have wrapped up in another way in another moment of Elton John's life but I don't mind that the movie ended with an uplift tone.
The only downside is that I don't think the film and its actors will receive deserved recognition because it's a bit of a niche work, oriented towards the adult public that already like and know the artist, added to the fact that it came out in theaters in a less favorable moment.
I heard it was good but I’m not a fan of Elton and I figured it was overrated like Bohemian Rhapsody, which was basically a TV movie.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

18. Diane, grade B = a slice of life movie about a woman trying to make amends for her past. Stars Mary Kay Place (Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman). Good performance in a movie that I’m a surprised got made since it’s about a woman in her 60s.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

19. Spider-Man Far From Home, grade B+ = it’s a good movie, some people love it. I thought it was just as good as the first movie but It’s not something I want to watch over again. I think I’m just too old for these movies. There is a lot of teenage drama and it’s too kiddie for me. Tom Holland is a great Spider-Man and Jake Gylenhaul did a good job as Mysterio. The special effects were excellent.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

20. Crawl, grade B = good little horror movie with great atmosphere. The hurricane is done well and the alligators look great. This movie is short and knows what it is. No unnecessary set-up and some nice kills and doesn’t waste your time.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

21. Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw, grade B = don’t have much to say about this movie except that it’s got great stunt sequences, is totally unbelievable and very fun. It’s an action comedy and I liked it but I wouldn’t watch it again.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

22. Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, grade B - = well done but not scary. This movie is really for teenagers, not adults. It was fun though but I’ve seen this all before.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

23. Ready or Not, grade B- = a well made, gothic horror comedy. I liked this movie but didn’t love it because it never went far enough with the evil satanic stuff or action. Samara Weaver is going to be a star though. She had it.