User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
someone in the uk explained it better in either this thread or in the Christine forum thread... but over a certain amount ..s something like £320,000 the UK gov't taxes estates/inheritances at 40% or almost half. So the estate is facing a tax bill for the inheritance unless they can do whatever they need to do to protect that money or else have to pay that huge portion to the taxman. That's why there are taxes listed and the amount is so high.
That makes sense to me. Chris realized a huge capital gain when she sold her song rights. Of course, so did the others, so they’d better have planned for it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-05-2023, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Couldn't agree more. He wasn't overly fond of their drama to begin with, let alone later in the years.
This is true. Even in one of his Q&A's he mentioned wanting to 'say goodbye' a few times on the last tour. I would guess he was referring to S/L drama. That had to have gotten so tedious.

Also in the 2019 BBC documentary about Chris, when they asked what she'd missed when she was gone, and she dryly said 'apparently not much' and described how she'd heard L/S had been tearing each other limb from limb...who do you think told her all that?? I'd guess it had to have been john, and maybe mick as well.

i think by that point the Brits knew things were not gonna change or improve.

--Lis
Old 04-05-2023, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yeah, that was really something, especially looking at it in retrospect. She played and sang “Stop Messin’ Round,” yes? And wasn’t that the track that Chris put her piano on for the very first time on a Fleetwood Mac album? It’s almost a bit spooky.
was it really? I thought she played for the 1st time on Love That Burns. but I could be wrong on that. she was such a great blues pianist.

--Lis
Old 04-05-2023, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine played on both "Love that burns" and on "Stop messin' around" on the 2nd Mac album "Mr Wonderful". There is piano on a couple more of Peter's songs on that album that will be Christine too. Jeremy played piano on one or two of his tracks, I think.
Old 04-05-2023, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
True statement!

Also, John was not pleased when Bob Welch left. Even when the band became a huge success, he felt ambivalent about what they then were. In 1977, when RS profiled the band, John was interviewed on his yacht/boat, where he was living at the time. He said he was perfectly happy with how the band was faring BEFORE 1975.
The story had become “the struggling band,” which just wasn’t accurate. They had fourteen roadies and got a $250,000 advance ($1,397,955.39 in 2023 dollars) to make the 1975 album when Bob was still in the band. They weren’t setting the world on fire, but they were hardly struggling.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-05-2023 at 02:13 PM..
Old 04-05-2023, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
When you start paying my mortgage, you can start telling me what to do. Until that happens, STFU.
As Bart often says: “Don’t have a cow, Homer!”
Old 04-05-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The story had become “the struggling band,” which just wasn’t accurate. They had fourteen roadies and got a $250,000 advance ($1,397,955.39 in 2023 dollars) to make the 1975 album when Bob was still in the band. They weren’t setting the world on fire, but they were hardly struggling.
Exactly, they just weren't filthy rich like some other acts. Even Genesis wasn't doing well during that time. By Lamb, which didn't sell well, Phil said he had sent all his money home, and there wasn't much left after a tour. Lots of work, and not huge payoffs.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-05-2023 at 04:30 PM..
Old 04-05-2023, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
someone in the uk explained it better in either this thread or in the Christine forum thread... but over a certain amount ..s something like £320,000 the UK gov't taxes estates/inheritances at 40% or almost half. So the estate is facing a tax bill for the inheritance unless they can do whatever they need to do to protect that money or else have to pay that huge portion to the taxman. That's why there are taxes listed and the amount is so high.
The money can’t be “protected” if it formed part of her personal estate when she died. If Christine was English/U.K. domiciled for tax purposes on death, which I’d say she was, the bill is due regardless of where her assets were on death. I can’t see any way around paying the liability if it’s on stocks/cash/real property, and I do this for a living…

Suspect she needs both US and English probate. That’s why the US court is involved. They need to be able to access liquidity to pay, and by the sound of it Christine’s wealth was mostly held in the US. They may be petitioning the court there to ask it to allow monies to be freed up so that the tax in the U.K. (due on her worldwide estate) can be paid.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
wow, i hadn't known they got such a big advance at that time.

you learn something new every day here. :-)

--Lis
Old 04-05-2023, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
The bulk of Christine's UK estate would be taxed at 40%- anything over the value of £325,000. Obviously we can't know if there were any other tax issues outstanding at the time of her death which needed to be resolved.

Some guidance is here:

https://www.agespace.org/finance/inh...resholds-rates
Here's the earlier post by someone regarding inheritance taxes.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
John didn’t have to tour with them. If he was that unhappy about the line up change, he could have refused. All he had to do was tell his doctor he didn’t feel up to touring after his cancer battle, and he would have been medically excused. Again, if John didn’t want to tour, he wouldn’t have. He did, and I’m glad that he got to tour with Christine one more time.

I think it’s important to point out that our feelings about what the band members do don’t matter. If you’re still angry after five years that Lindsey was fired, go for it. We know he went to one of Stevie’s shows not that long ago, so clearly John isn’t holding any grudges at all.
I wouldn't say I'm "angry", I just still don't get the why. You are at the end of your career, we know there will be no more FM albums and how many more times could they have toured? I just think it spoiled their legacy. I'm not saying John is mad at Mick or Stevie, I said if I were him I would have been mad at everything that went down, now with Christine gone. I feel like what Stevie did was all for nothing. I know Mick said he and John sat together wondering what they were going to do now that Chris is gone. I know John and Mick will always be close. But for some weird reason, I think of John now. What he thinks of everything that went down. I would love a book from him

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-06-2023, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
But for some weird reason, I think of John now. What he thinks of everything that went down. I would love a book from him
John has WAY too much class for a tell all book.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I wouldn't say I'm "angry", I just still don't get the why. You are at the end of your career, we know there will be no more FM albums and how many more times could they have toured? I just think it spoiled their legacy. I'm not saying John is mad at Mick or Stevie, I said if I were him I would have been mad at everything that went down, now with Christine gone. I feel like what Stevie did was all for nothing. I know Mick said he and John sat together wondering what they were going to do now that Chris is gone. I know John and Mick will always be close. But for some weird reason, I think of John now. What he thinks of everything that went down. I would love a book from him
You are entitled to your point of view. I understand completely how you feel.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
John has WAY too much class for a tell all book.
I also think John would not see the point.
He has enough money… does not have a huge ego..
He is getting old and it would just be too much trouble.
And he is a man who holds his own counsel….
Old 04-06-2023, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I also think John would not see the point.
He has enough money… does not have a huge ego..
He is getting old and it would just be too much trouble.
And he is a man who holds his own counsel….
He's a humble man. One of my favorite things about him is that he used to ride back to the hotel with the crew. No limo for him, and "his" limo savings went to his bank account. No nonsense, John.