User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
To be fair, it was brought up a lot in the late 70's and pretty much all of the 80's. Lately, from some reason it's taken a back seat.
There's video of Lindsey and John hanging out at LAX in 2015.
And Lindsey prevented a substitute bassist from replacing John for the 2013 Australian Tour.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
And Lindsey prevented a substitute bassist from replacing John for the 2013 Australian Tour.
Robbing George Hawkins of his big payday.

(I don’t have any evidence George Hawkins would have gotten the gig, but given he sang on John’s solo album, I think John would have been okay with it on an emergency temporary situation.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that most of the friction between Lindsey and John was due to Lindsey's wanting to take creative control of the production of the band's albums and musical direction of the band back when albums really mattered and boy did they matter when you had mega platinum albums. Once this era passed it was likely much easier for them to get along.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I think that most of the friction between Lindsey and John was due to Lindsey's wanting to take creative control of the production of the band's albums and musical direction of the band back when albums really mattered and boy did they matter when you had mega platinum albums. Once this era passed it was likely much easier for them to get along.
Lindsey kept trying to tell John what to play. Lindsey though John’s playing was too busy.

Kind of nervy. John already had a noteworthy career. The 1975 record was like his fifteenth album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes. i think Stevie doing Don't Stop and clearly identifying it as Christine's song, making sure to emphasize Christine was her equal and just as important (or even more) singer/songwriter in FM and dedicating it to her memory would be a nice thing, considering Stevie is much better known FM member.

this is very different from her riding the coattails of Prince or Tom Petty who were both so much more known & successful acts than she has been. in that case, especially about Prince with whom she barely had any contact or relationship, it felt like exploiting a hugely popular and respected act to make herself look more important. it would be exactly the opposite with Christine.
Quick question- WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH ELLE???

Just kidding

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the debate about about whether Stevie and Christine were friends, or rather how good friends they were: I think the Rumours 5 have an unbelievable bond, being as popular as they were as quickly as they were, and with all the relationships that were intertwined. And certainly, Stevie and Christine, being women, probably bonded much more than the three gentlemen. Stevie seemed to, and perhaps still does, need intimate friends. I’ve heard Stevie say things like “Christine and I took a vow that night that we would never take a backseat to the boys” or something to that effect, with candles lit and Stevie holding Christine’s hand. Now I can just picture Christine sharing the same story in her own words- “I told Stevie those boys better not pull any crap with us” as she was drinking a glass of wine on the couch. I mean, we all know Stevie says these outrageous things, but in her mind she probably believe it. So when she says Christine was her best friend, yet she hadn’t talked to her since the last day of their tour 2 or 3 years ago, she believes it because there is absolutely no one else in the world who can really understand what it was like for them in 1975-1980. That sort of thing definitely creates a bond.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

(I don’t have any evidence George Hawkins would have gotten the gig, but given he sang on John’s solo album, I think John would have been okay with it on an emergency temporary situation.)

so i guess to pay it back he got himself fired in 2018 out of charity for poor Mike and Neil so they can get even larger payday

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-25-2023, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes. all these relationships (well - most! we know about one apparently stuck in a rut) evolved from the early days, as they all as people evolved and changed too. saying that John and Lindsey do not get along in 21st century as an extrapolation from what was happening in recording studio in 1970s is just uniformed.

Destiny Rules doc can provide a glance of adult comfortable relationship between Lindsey and John. they both like and can keep to themselves and away from all the fanfare. Lindsey and John were keeping separate from Mick and Stevie a lot when travelling to FM gigs in 2010s, presumably because they wanted nothing to do with all the hullabaloo coming with the entourage and penthouse suites.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-25-2023, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

I think George might have gotten that gig if they had decided to go that route. (I'm glad they didn't. ) He actually told us years ago when we met him that he was sort of told to be ready as a 'backup bassist' on a couple of tours, when John's drinking was very bad. 'Just in case.' guess they weren't taking any chances. So George was already a known entity to them in terms of bass backup plan.

--Lis
Old 01-25-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You won the post of the week
Month!!!!!
Old 01-25-2023, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
absolutely no one else in the world who can really understand what it was like for them in 1975-1980. That sort of thing definitely creates a bond.
Well possibly Agnetha and Frida over in Sweden.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine blew her whistle at Stevie during an OWTS show and Stevie was upset with her.
Hartford, at the 1:50 mark

https://youtu.be/f-hIvLLPiPs
Old 01-25-2023, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And John played on Lindsey's Gift of Screws album and of course, John, Mick, and Lindsey cut songs together in 2011 or 2012 (Hunger, Sad Angel, Ride This Road, and who knows what else)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well possibly Agnetha and Frida over in Sweden.
I actually did think of Abba when I wrote what I did about Stevie and Christine- you’re right, they could surely relate to the dynamic the ladies from FM had. I’ve seen a special about Abba on PBS a handful of times (PBS airs specials on Abba and The Carpenters every Christmas LOL) and Agnetha and Frida didn’t seem as friendly to each other. Could be a cultural thing, though. Still, your point is well taken.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
saying that John and Lindsey do not get along in 21st century as an extrapolation from what was happening in recording studio in 1970s is just uniformed.
John was still talking about it in 1995, and Lindsey just recently talked about how John’s playing was sometimes busy in his classic passive aggressive way.

Quote:
Destiny Rules doc can provide a glance of adult comfortable relationship between Lindsey and John.
Quote:
And John played on Lindsey's Gift of Screws album and of course, John, Mick, and Lindsey cut songs together in 2011 or 2012 (Hunger, Sad Angel, Ride This Road, and who knows what else)
Going out on a limb here, but it was likely made abundantly clear by WB when they rejected Smile in 1995 that Lindsey needed to take the stick out of his ass. And then, they promptly stuck Rob Cavallo on him.

Lindsey got the hint that he needed to think of John as part of the equation instead of sticking with what he thinks the bass part should be. So, he eventually learned to play nice.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Going out on a limb here, but it was likely made abundantly clear by WB when they rejected Smile in 1995 that Lindsey needed to take the stick out of his ass. And then, they promptly stuck Rob Cavallo on him.

Lindsey got the hint that he needed to think of John as part of the equation instead of sticking with what he thinks the bass part should be. So, he eventually learned to play nice.
Do you think Lindsey has any musical talent? Just curious