Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
https://albumism.com/features/fleetw...-retrospective

The third radio volley for UK territories was “Oh Diane.” The surprise hit achieved a #15 chart notch with its yesteryear sound.
"Oh Diane" actually reached #9 in the UK. It baffles me that "Oh Diane" was Mirage's highest charting song in that country.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
"Oh Diane" actually reached #9 in the UK. It baffles me that "Oh Diane" was Mirage's highest charting song in that country.
That makes two of us. That song is horrible.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That makes two of us. That song is horrible.
It’s not even good enough for one of his solo albums.

Teen Beat and Goodbye Angel are much better. But hey, they made $ on it, which is what they were after then (and now).
Old 06-28-2022, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Teen Beat and Goodbye Angel are much better. But hey, they made $ on it, which is what they were after then (and now).
I love Oh Diane. I only wish Christine’s and Stevie’s background vocals were more prominent. Great song! Fleetwood Mac songs = Diversity
Old 06-28-2022, 09:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Teen Beat and Goodbye Angel are much better.
Teen Beat would be a welcome substitute for "Oh Diane", the former of which would fit in with the likes of "Empire State".
Old 06-28-2022, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Teen Beat would be a welcome substitute for "Oh Diane", the former of which would fit in with the likes of "Empire State".
Hey, Empire State is GOLD, in my book. I realize it's only in my book, but I love that song. IDK why everyone hates it so much. It's cute, and it rocks. I love it.

I'll be okay on my island, having it in it's regular rotation!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Hey, Empire State is GOLD, in my book.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I am also a fan of Empire State. The glockenspiel on the verses always makes me smile.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I am also a fan of Empire State. The glockenspiel on the verses always makes me smile.
I was just about to suggest that to Homer. From what I gathered, I could tell you wanted BOTH of those rockers on Mirage.

I’m with ya.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, Empire State is GOLD, in my book. I realize it's only in my book, but I love that song. IDK why everyone hates it so much. It's cute, and it rocks. I love it.

I'll be okay on my island, having it in it's regular rotation!
Your island and my island are connected by a bridge called Law and Order. Empire State could have fit easily on that fantastic solo album. On Mirage, it’s a weird yet welcome up-tempo moment with a great guitar solo and a lovable chorus (those forty Lindseys doing their oohs and ahhs). I remember the reviewer for Rolling Stone affectionately referred to it as asinine. I would agree. A truly stupid, lovable song I rarely skip over.

Potentially Interesting Trivia: In tempo and (sort of) theme Buckingham’s “Empire State” resembles Welch’s “The City,” which was also about NYC. Whereas Welch mines fear and paranoia, Buckingham goes for goofball valentine. Both feature killer guitar solos and both open the second side of the fourth studio FM record each guitarist contributed to during their respective tenures.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I forget the name of the instrument. I think Mick talks about it in his first book. I believe it was a gift from him to Lindsey. I've not read it for probably 10 years or more.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Your island and my island are connected by a bridge called Law and Order. Empire State could have fit easily on that fantastic solo album. On Mirage, it’s a weird yet welcome up-tempo moment with a great guitar solo and a lovable chorus (those forty Lindseys doing their oohs and ahhs). I remember the reviewer for Rolling Stone affectionately referred to it as asinine. I would agree. A truly stupid, lovable song I rarely skip over.

Potentially Interesting Trivia: In tempo and (sort of) theme Buckingham’s “Empire State” resembles Welch’s “The City,” which was also about NYC. Whereas Welch mines fear and paranoia, Buckingham goes for goofball valentine. Both feature killer guitar solos and both open the second side of the fourth studio FM record each guitarist contributed to during their respective tenures.
Law and Order is my all time favorite Lindsey album. Realize that I was in the HEIGHT of my insane FM fandom, and I love every note to this QUIRKY WEIRD ASSED ALBUM. I probably wouldn't give it the time of day now, if it came out now, but I love this album SO MUCH. Lindsey at his f*cking weirdest!!!!!
Old 06-29-2022, 07:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I forget the name of the instrument. I think Mick talks about it in his first book. I believe it was a gift from him to Lindsey. I've not read it for probably 10 years or more.
I believe it was the lap harp, the same instrument Buckingham used on Go Insane's D.W. Suite
Old 06-29-2022, 09:08 AM

I love Empire State! Great song to kick off Side 2!!

Only Over You ends the Side 1 with a beautiful McVie song which also has a beautiful guitar outro. Then.... ..............................di di di... New York..... open your eyes to me.. let me.... be what I want to be... not like... not like we do in L A A A...

What's not to love???
Old 06-29-2022, 09:12 AM

I am a UGE fan of LAW AND ORDER!

I love it as much as Bella, CMcVie, Wild Heart and Go Insane.

Also love the Visitor and I'm Not ME.

Great albums in the early to mid 80's.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But see, I’m still proud of my trivial observations:

In tempo and (sort of) theme Buckingham’s “Empire State” resembles Welch’s “The City,” which was also about NYC. Whereas Welch mines fear and paranoia, Buckingham goes for goofball valentine. Both feature killer guitar solos and both open the second side of the fourth studio FM record each guitarist contributed to during their respective tenures.

I mean, I should get a gold star.