Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I don't think I liked it as much then as I do now. It's such a beautiful song.
I even loved the video of them in a hotel and the couple playing around in the other building. I never could understand why MTV never played the video. Had to go to VH1 to see it. They played all kinds of adult contemporary Janet Jackson and other stuff but a soft song from a classic rock band.....nope. They played the hell out of Save Me and then dropped the band again for Skies The Limit. Had to go to VH1 again. Made no sense and it hurt promoting the band.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I even loved the video of them in a hotel and the couple playing around in the other building. I never could understand why MTV never played the video. Had to go to VH1 to see it. They played all kinds of adult contemporary Janet Jackson and other stuff but a soft song from a classic rock band.....nope. They played the hell out of Save Me and then dropped the band again for Skies The Limit. Had to go to VH1 again. Made no sense and it hurt promoting the band.
I saw Skies maybe ... maybe once back then. It was a rare video.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw Skies maybe ... maybe once back then. It was a rare video.
I hated the video as much as I hated the song. Sorry—it’s in my top three all time worst Mac songs. When I first heard it, I was crestfallen. I never thought the band would recover from the generic has beens I thought they’d become. And then, a couple years later, “Love Shines” and “Heart of Stone” blew me away. And the video for “Love Shines” is great!

A few years after that, I came upon Time and Out of the Cradle on the same day in a record store, not knowing either had been released. I remember hearing Christine’s voice and being so uplifted by the strength of her vocals there. The album was spotty and her keyboard (as opposed to the keyboard parts) was awful, but there was that voice, warm and smooth and very persuasive.

Out of the Cradle was a revelation.

But I digress...
Old 07-07-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I hated the video as much as I hated the song. Sorry—it’s in my top three all time worst Mac songs. When I first heard it, I was crestfallen. I never thought the band would recover from the generic has beens I thought they’d become. And then, a couple years later, “Love Shines” and “Heart of Stone” blew me away. And the video for “Love Shines” is great!

A few years after that, I came upon Time and Out of the Cradle on the same day in a record store, not knowing either had been released. I remember hearing Christine’s voice and being so uplifted by the strength of her vocals there. The album was spotty and her keyboard (as opposed to the keyboard parts) was awful, but there was that voice, warm and smooth and very persuasive.

Out of the Cradle was a revelation.

But I digress...
I pretty much feel the same way about all of this.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Skies The Limit both the song and video. The video is so cool in that its actual live footage along with the lip synced song from the stage at Red Rocks. I just loved the back stage shots with Chris and Stevie in their mini skirts.
I love Chris's keyboard playing in the song. Its not the most creative song she has written but I still like it. I really like in the video when all 4 singers have head shots harmonizing.
But the coolest part is the beginning showing Chris walk towards the limo in her white high heels and short skirt in slow motion. Chris is not the type to show skin but she loved showing off her legs on this tour and video

The only part I hate is Stevie's close up in the hat It was almost Red Rocks part 2
Old 07-10-2021, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I knew you would (when you were good—you were very, very good)

Save Me and the song Behind the Mask have genuine promise and would have sounded absolutely spectacular with a Christine-Lindsey arrangement. But for me there’s no helping Skies. Yuckage.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Skies the limit for its amateur quality. You can tell the song was written and performed rather quickly. Chris has these amazing melodies in her head that she transforms to the keyboards instantly. Look at Songbird...written rather quick. It sounds like she just walked up to her keyboards and started playing the intro. I love Mick's crack of the drum and the song begins. Its cheerful and peppy and classic Christine. The harmonies are pretty good too which is something Tango really never had. I just love hearing Chris play keyboards. I could sit back and watch her play around on the keyboards and I would be in heaven. The song has a certain bouncy effect too which is fun to sing along with. It has a Love In Store vibe that the lyrics are so cute and honest. Its hard for me not to love a peppy Christine song.

Seriously, how can we fail? The sky is the limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkQ5lG4Sv8

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-11-2021 at 08:32 AM..
Old 07-11-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I knew you would (when you were good—you were very, very good)

Save Me and the song Behind the Mask have genuine promise and would have sounded absolutely spectacular with a Christine-Lindsey arrangement. But for me there’s no helping Skies. Yuckage.
Is it one or the other?
Old 07-11-2021, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
First botching the lyrics to Love in Store and now this?
Your Christine McVie official fan club membership is on thin ice
Old 07-11-2021, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I love Skies The Limit both the song and video. :
I like the song, too. I mean, it is not the greatest thing anybody ever wrote -- it is fundamentally a shallow anthem. But it has a great musical hook in the chorus and even a greater hook in the verse. I am puzzled by Tony's disgust with it. Tony, if you don't reverse your opinion, you're going to lose a stripe.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2021, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's sort of Fleetwood Mac's "Hammer to Fall."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I like the song, too. I mean, it is not the greatest thing anybody ever wrote -- it is fundamentally a shallow anthem. But it has a great musical hook in the chorus and even a greater hook in the verse. I am puzzled by Tony's disgust with it. Tony, if you don't reverse your opinion, you're going to lose a stripe.
David, I can’t fake enthusiasm for it, nor can I ignore the repulsiveness I feel for its banality. The song reminds me of a mauve lobby in a three-star hotel. A calculation without any heart or spirit.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is it one or the other?
The other. It’s always the other.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
David, I can’t fake enthusiasm for it, nor can I ignore the repulsiveness I feel for its banality. The song reminds me of a mauve lobby in a three-star hotel. A calculation without any heart or spirit.
That's a very accurate assessment. Chris rarely wrote a bad song, but STL isn't at the top of the heap.

WHO at this point in the band's juncture was going to inspire her to greatness? Surely not the two addicts in the band. Chris was the only thing holding the band together at this stage!
Old 07-12-2021, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's a very accurate assessment. Chris rarely wrote a bad song, but STL isn't at the top of the heap.

WHO at this point in the band's juncture was going to inspire her to greatness? Surely not the two addicts in the band. Chris was the only thing holding the band together at this stage!
True. She never did write a bad song (but maybe Ricky) but the song is not weaker than Honey Hi. But lets not get caught up in lyrics. The track is not that bad. Like I said earlier, its the Love In Store of BTM.