The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can we write to Chris and have any hopes of hearing back from her?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And they came back and did Farmer's Daughter the same way. So beautiful. A lovely way to end things, only I blame Ms. Perfect for not telling me it was the end, so I could have acted accordingly.

It reminds me of a passage in Wicked when all the college friends are having a post-funeral gathering: good food, drink and company. Abundant laughter. And the narrator says if they had known that it would be the last time they'd all be together, maybe they would have lingered a little longer over dinner. It gave me a chill to read that and it put me in mourning, even though nothing bad had happened in the book yet and the characters didn't suspect how their futures would divide them.

Of course, the RRHOF was the real ending for FM. And much later in Wicked, when the little girl, Nor, asks if the witch ever returned, the mother says, "Not yet." That's what I will say of FM: not yet.

Michele
Really nice.
And nice comparison, and i always wanted to see the musical...
"Not yet" usually gives some hope. But this is the kind of thing you say to a gullible little girl not to upset her, and i'm not a child anymore...so it makes me sad, especially when you talk about The Dance.
But hey !
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
And don't forget those beautiful harmonies! I'd just love to see them doing this together, the way they did "Say you love me" on The Dance, all of them lined up in the front of the stage, looking happy . That's what this song is to me, a real band effort. With the individualities starting to show on Tusk, this song always reminded me how bound they ar...were.
We have one audio recording of this great song in rehearsal for the '79 tour. Here's the upload along with a rehearsal of "That's All for Everyone" for the same tour.

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/N...L0NIfBZZs%2Fbg

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I know what you mean, but actually in Wicked it was said to frighten the child because the witch was, ostensibly, evil.

I think we'll see Christine again. Whether or not it's with the other 4 or with all of the remaining 4, is a different question.

Thinking of underrated songs, certainly Why is very famous among fans. I've even seen it come in #1 in polls of all FM songs, but it's too bad that the public in general knows nothing about it.

Michele
Oh . so does that mean that Chris is evil and we should all be afraid of her coming back??
Right i don't see "Why" as an underrated song, every educated Fleetwood Mac knows and loves this song .
It's also one of the songs that my friends unfamiliar with FM prefer, especially that Midnight Special for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
We have one audio recording of this great song in rehearsal for the '79 tour. Here's the upload along with a rehearsal of "That's All for Everyone" for the same tour.

Thank you, that's amazing! I had no idea they rehearsed this. I can see now why they didn't play it live, it seems to be quite difficult, with the double-tracked vocals and all...but it actually sounded pretty good, especially Lindsey's guitar. Would have loved a more stripped down though.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

thanks for posting, great to hear.. don't think any other song live has just Christine and Stevie.... interesting that Lindsey isn't on the chorus at all...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Come a Little Bit Closer, Honey Hi, and Over My Head- Over My Head is actually my favorite.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
I love Come a Little Bit Closer, Honey Hi, and Over My Head- Over My Head is actually my favorite.
I wouldn't really consider Over My Head underrated.It's the first hit of the "Rumours 5" band and has been played in concert regularly up until Christine's departure.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I wouldn't really consider Over My Head underrated.It's the first hit of the "Rumours 5" band and has been played in concert regularly up until Christine's departure.
Yes, you can even hear that one one the radio still. I think it got its due.

Michele
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Over And Over", followed VERY closely by "Come A Little Bit Closer."
Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/christine+mcvie

It's got to be ''Come A Little Bit Closer'' , sounding so good on that tumblr player.
Damn they need to remaster all the pre-Rumours stuff NOW
YES I was thinking the same thing! It seems like her voice is almost lost in the mix- I'd like to see it brought out more if they ever get around to remastering that stuff.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Registered

Honey Hi - I love the harmonies. I also think Heart of Stone is underrated.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come A Little Bit Closer
The Smile I Live For
Just Crazy Love
Never Make Me Cry
Wish You Were Here
Honey Hi (perfect harmonies with Stevie Nicks)
Get Like You Used To Be
Love In Store
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion, Christine barely put a hoof wrong until the Mirage album. That's when my adoration for her songwriting abilities and vocal prowess began to wane. I think most of her output since 1982 has been insubstantial and pedestrian with the occasional highlight in the form of Isn't It Midnight, As Long As You Follow, Behind The Mask and Heart Of Stone.
I liked aspects of the 1984 solo album, but the production was so mundane overall, which was a shame when you consider that she had composed a decent batch of songs on that outing.
This comment is bound to alienate the majority of you, but I found Christine's vocals on the Tango album to be wispy, non-engaging and lightweight. It almost seemed as though she was mimicking Lindsey's vocal stylings at the time, lending a synthetic sheen to her songs.
I also thought Christine's contributions to the Time album were the nadir of her career - this was songwriting by numbers, prosaic and perfunctory in the extreme.
In The Meantime just further cemented her deterioration as a songwriter and features the dullest production of all time. Once again, I realise I'm on my own here, but I consider her vocals to be truly awful on this occasion. I've never been able to play this album all the way through, it's just too embarrassing for everyone concerned (most of all, the listener).
I definitely feel as though Christine was underrated from her origins in Chicken Shack all the way through to the Heroes Are Hard To Find album, before finally being properly recognised from the White Album onwards. Her work during this period (1967 - 1974) had been consistently brilliant and she continued to produce stellar work all the way through to Tusk in 1979. Her first side-step occurred with One More Night and yet, I still found it difficult to resist. It was from 1982 onwards that she began to lose my interest, but I still yearn for one last burst of greatness from her, perhaps courtesy of the ever-looming final Mac album...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
In my opinion, Christine barely put a hoof wrong until the Mirage album. That's when my adoration for her songwriting abilities and vocal prowess began to wane. I think most of her output since 1982 has been insubstantial and pedestrian with the occasional highlight in the form of Isn't It Midnight, As Long As You Follow, Behind The Mask and Heart Of Stone.
I liked aspects of the 1984 solo album, but the production was so mundane overall, which was a shame when you consider that she had composed a decent batch of songs on that outing.
This comment is bound to alienate the majority of you, but I found Christine's vocals on the Tango album to be wispy, non-engaging and lightweight. It almost seemed as though she was mimicking Lindsey's vocal stylings at the time, lending a synthetic sheen to her songs.
I also thought Christine's contributions to the Time album were the nadir of her career - this was songwriting by numbers, prosaic and perfunctory in the extreme.
In The Meantime just further cemented her deterioration as a songwriter and features the dullest production of all time. Once again, I realise I'm on my own here, but I consider her vocals to be truly awful on this occasion. I've never been able to play this album all the way through, it's just too embarrassing for everyone concerned (most of all, the listener).
I definitely feel as though Christine was underrated from her origins in Chicken Shack all the way through to the Heroes Are Hard To Find album, before finally being properly recognised from the White Album onwards. Her work during this period (1967 - 1974) had been consistently brilliant and she continued to produce stellar work all the way through to Tusk in 1979. Her first side-step occurred with One More Night and yet, I still found it difficult to resist. It was from 1982 onwards that she began to lose my interest, but I still yearn for one last burst of greatness from her, perhaps courtesy of the ever-looming final Mac album...
I was always struck by how Christine was able to evolve from era to era of the band, and wondered if perhaps my lack of enthusiasm for her later songs (Mirage onward for me as well, although a few of her Tusk songs fail to captivate me too) is a product of Christine trying to be commercial for evolving markets. If she ever records with the band again I want to hear her play the blues.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
We live on different planets. Her ITM songs and vocals are outstanding. Far superior, imo, to the 1984 record. Career highlights, in fact.