Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2020, 09:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

I don't think there is a way to parse out whose contribution means the most in FM, to be honest. You have Mick/John, an amazing rhythm section and the founders, Chris, the writer of some of the most enduring, radio friendly hits, Stevie, an amazing stylist, writer and a genuine star, and Lindsey, an amazing performer, producer and musical architect.

They've toured without Lindsey or Chris in the past, and it's been fine but not great. But somehow a band that always used to tout how much their message was about unity and the ways they've gone through so much together, in the end, they were always chasing the moneymaking machine that was The Eagles (whom I respect more for being honest about what their goals are).

I mean, it was a no brainer for Mick and the McVies financially and even in terms of what kinds of shows they wanted to play -- arenas and not theaters. Stevie knew that, and they knew that. What is disappointing to me is not Mick and John -- they always have been willing to pick up new players and move on -- but Chris. I mean she made a duo album and did a whole tour with Lindsey, and then to just roll over and let this happen? She might have had the power to say, I'm not doing this. Man, that's just cold to me. And, I'm sure that behind the scenes, she's emails Lindsey and says, I had to go along with them if I wanted to actually play big shows and make money. And he probably accepts that. But that's the part that I think is especially gross.

While I think Stevie/Mick bear the most responsibility for the firing, the McVies are responsible for their own choices. Everyone gets to make their choices, but they don't get to control how other people see those choices. Mick/Stevie/McVies tried to have both when firing Lindsey, and that's just not happening.