Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Summer Movies 2015

So far, this has been a pretty good summer for movies. There are no movies that are truly great, but there are a lot of good ones. The only movie I didn't like was Poltergeist.

1. Avengers B
2. Insidious 3 B -
3. Mad Max B
4. Poltergeist D -
5. Spy B -
6. Jurassic World B
7. Ex Machina B
8. San Andreas B -
9. Inside Out B

What are your opinions?

Last edited by Jondalar; 06-21-2015 at 05:01 PM..
Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered

no interest in any of them , but that's just me
Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I rarely go to the movie theatre these days. Usually wait for RedBox or Netflix. However, I have seen three of these movies.

I'd give Mad Max: Fury Road a huge A+++!!! LOVED IT!
Avengers - Age of Ultron I'd give a B
You're right about the Poltergeist remake. Boo! A big fat F!!!

I'm going to see Jurassic World this coming weekend and can't wait! I've heard nothing but good things!
Old 06-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I rarely go to the movie theatre these days. Usually wait for RedBox or Netflix. However, I have seen three of these movies.

I'd give Mad Max: Fury Road a huge A+++!!! LOVED IT!
Avengers - Age of Ultron I'd give a B
You're right about the Poltergeist remake. Boo! A big fat F!!!

I'm going to see Jurassic World this coming weekend and can't wait! I've heard nothing but good things!
It's good but not great like Jaws. Not anywhere near as good.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ditto here.I haven't been to the movie theater in ages.Oops I forgot Stevie's IYD screening.That does not count.

I would like to see all of them .I wait until they show up online.I got Star Trek 2013 and the latest installment of Night at the Museum somewhere on my external drive.I will enjoy them privately here at home without the inflated popcorn and soda prices.Plus I dont have to deal with people talking through the movie plus walking in cotton candy and idiots belching and farting.LOL...

I used to enjoy going to the theater when I was younger but not much now.I was hoping for Stevie's IYD screening come to my local multiplex but it never did.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-17-2015, 06:58 AM

I've heard mixed reviews about A little chaos that in my country has just been dubbed.

Quote:
and idiots belching and farting.
What kind of movie theatres do you have in the US?
Nevermind, I know people that practiced petting while watching movies, and obviously I've always carefully avoided going to the cinema with them.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just got back from seeing "Jurassic World". I give it a C-.

While I was entertained, I wasn't all that impressed. The stunning visuals and special effects couldn't compensate for bad character development, over-acting and a rehashed plot line. I'm not one for remakes or reboots, but if they were going to revisit this universe, that's probably what they should have done here. Just my opinion. Am I crazy?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Just got back from seeing "Jurassic World". I give it a C-.

While I was entertained, I wasn't all that impressed. The stunning visuals and special effects couldn't compensate for bad character development, over-acting and a rehashed plot line. I'm not one for remakes or reboots, but if they were going to revisit this universe, that's probably what they should have done here. Just my opinion. Am I crazy?
I liked it better than you but it bothered me. Special Effects haven't gotten any better since 1993.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I liked it better than you but it bothered me. Special Effects haven't gotten any better since 1993.

Wow 22 years later with todays computers.Thats shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I've heard mixed reviews about A little chaos that in my country has just been dubbed.

What kind of movie theatres do you have in the US?
Nevermind, I know people that practiced petting while watching movies, and obviously I've always carefully avoided going to the cinema with them.

Yea They do strange things here at times.The same goes for concerts too.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Wow 22 years later with todays computers.Thats shocking.

Yea They do strange things here at times.The same goes for concerts too.
I've read an article somewhere that explained that new technologies for special effects, while becoming progressively more advanced and realistic, really are distancing the public from "believing" the scene portrayed because people to become engrossed in the story don't need to see an exact real-life replica of a murder or in this case science fiction characters, but they need to identify/empathize personally with the situation and seeing the act perfectly posrtrayed like a third person spectator distracts them.

Here in theatres the staff is constantly controlling among the seat rows that people don't disturb or damage anything, so it's difficult to do weird things but they happen nonetheless.
About concerts, I have to say that, in my limited experience, the milder is the concert act, the more annoying is the audience.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've read an article somewhere that explained that new technologies for special effects, while becoming progressively more advanced and realistic, really are distancing the public from "believing" the scene portrayed because people to become engrossed in the story don't need to see an exact real-life replica of a murder or in this case science fiction characters, but they need to identify/empathize personally with the situation and seeing the act perfectly posrtrayed like a third person spectator distracts them.

Here in theatres the staff is constantly controlling among the seat rows that people don't disturb or damage anything, so it's difficult to do weird things but they happen nonetheless.
About concerts, I have to say that, in my limited experience, the milder is the concert act, the more annoying is the audience.
Some of the special effects in Jurassic World are just fake and nothing looks better than what they did in 1993. I was suprised at how much I noticed the special effects were fake looking. My brother said the same thing.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just saw Inside Out, a pixar movie. It was cute. I added it to my ratings at the top. The theater was crammed with parents and their kids.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I love special effects as long its not an overkill.With todays computers they can do anything.I watched a video about the Titanic called Drain the Titanic.The footage looks so real,

I see over there they have security in the movie theaters.
Here they probably have more now in controlling the movie goers and looking for people filming the movie with their Iphones which ends up on Youtube.
With concerts here .Drunks are the problem.Probably the same over there.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I love special effects as long its not an overkill.With todays computers they can do anything.I watched a video about the Titanic called Drain the Titanic.The footage looks so real,

I see over there they have security in the movie theaters.
Here they probably have more now in controlling the movie goers and looking for people filming the movie with their Iphones which ends up on Youtube.
With concerts here .Drunks are the problem.Probably the same over there.
Yes, for documentaries new special effects are the best, but most of the time for movies I have more traditional tastes.

They aren't really security, more like handy-men poor souls that must control tickets and prevent that you bring liquids and food inside and watch that people don't damage the properties or put their feet on the seats and clean the ambient after.

At concerts drunks can be a problem but when you're outdoor pot is the real annoyance. I remember the sadness of discovering old people smoking joints at a show of the italian equivalent of Bryan Adams.
The thing that I never understood is why is security so strict at the gates that even remove your bottle caps but then inside there are beer stands everywhere.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, for documentaries new special effects are the best, but most of the time for movies I have more traditional tastes.

They aren't really security, more like handy-men poor souls that must control tickets and prevent that you bring liquids and food inside and watch that people don't damage the properties or put their feet on the seats and clean the ambient after.

At concerts drunks can be a problem but when you're outdoor pot is the real annoyance. I remember the sadness of discovering old people smoking joints at a show of the italian equivalent of Bryan Adams.
The thing that I never understood is why is security so strict at the gates that even remove your bottle caps but then inside there are beer stands everywhere.
Yes .I love those computer generated reenactments of accidents and other stuff the happen in the past.CSI TV series is great for those FX scenes.

Security does the same here in the states for concerts and movies.They want you to buy the venues or theaters US $8 buck beers and sodas and popcorn.I cant picture smelling pot at a Bryan Adams show.I did not smell any pot at the two Mac shows that I attended. I just cant deal with the drunks.

Sorry about the derailment guys.Back on track .

I will be checking out Mad Max,Jurassic World and
Poltergeist which were in the OP in weeks to come.I'd enjoyed the past versions of these .Also I have Star Trek: Into Darkness from 2013 waiting in the wings to see too.

Minds as will try enjoy another summer without Stevie/FM touring and try to do something interesting.

Speaking of FX in movies.I'm surprised Hollywood did not crank out JAWS movie for its 40th anniversary .