Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Welch Era

I listen to both the Pre-Rumours/Rumours eras. I like the bluesy 60's stuff with Peter Green, I like the obscurity of Tusk, and I really like Emerald Eyes, Hypnotied, and Bermuda Triangle. I really want to get more into the Bob Welch era. I have Mystery To Me, and I would like oppinions on which one to get next. I was sort of leaning towards Heros Are Hard To Find, but I just want some experienced Welch Fans to give me oppinions first. I'm looking for that, almost, psychedelic sound of Hypnotized, Bermuda, Emerald.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain
I listen to both the Pre-Rumours/Rumours eras. I like the bluesy 60's stuff with Peter Green, I like the obscurity of Tusk, and I really like Emerald Eyes, Hypnotied, and Bermuda Triangle. I really want to get more into the Bob Welch era. I have Mystery To Me, and I would like oppinions on which one to get next. I was sort of leaning towards Heros Are Hard To Find, but I just want some experienced Welch Fans to give me oppinions first. I'm looking for that, almost, psychedelic sound of Hypnotized, Bermuda, Emerald.
You like the same atmospheric sounds of mid-period Fleetwood Mac that I like. I highly recommend you get "Heroes" next. It's flawed, but it quintessentially captures that era's easy psychedelia; you can get lost in the hip grooves of those aural snapshots of hippiedom.

My favorite from the album: "Angel"
Old 07-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You like the same atmospheric sounds of mid-period Fleetwood Mac that I like. I highly recommend you get "Heroes" next. It's flawed, but it quintessentially captures that era's easy psychedelia; you can get lost in the hip grooves of those aural snapshots of hippiedom.

My favorite from the album: "Angel"
Thanks. I was sort of leaning that way in the beggining, but I just wasn't sure. I'll go with that one. Is there another that you'd recommend, as a second, I can never just buy one album, I get too into the first one, and have to have another one ( I know, it's weird) Bare Trees??? (I had this one, a while back but foolishly sold it in a garage sale.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Bare Trees" is great, but it feels more like the Stevie-Lindsey era, IMO, and "Future Games" is more of a jam album (and a great one at that). If you're getting two albums and want that psychedelic-jazz vibe Welch had with the Mac, I'd go for "Penguin" ("Revelation" and "Night Watch" are awesome) and "Heroes.." (esp. "Angel" and "Bermuda Triangle"). Also, you NEED to check out their 1974 Record Plant live-in-the-studio show. Bob was seriously on fire on this one.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Response

I highly recommend Future Games. that's my favorite album of the Bob Welch era. the title track, as well as Woman of 1000 years are beutiful to listen to, as is the rest of the album
Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default response

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
"Bare Trees" is great, but it feels more like the Stevie-Lindsey era, IMO, and "Future Games" is more of a jam album (and a great one at that). If you're getting two albums and want that psychedelic-jazz vibe Welch had with the Mac, I'd go for "Penguin" ("Revelation" and "Night Watch" are awesome) and "Heroes.." (esp. "Angel" and "Bermuda Triangle"). Also, you NEED to check out their 1974 Record Plant live-in-the-studio show. Bob was seriously on fire on this one.
That's good that someone still remembers that album, Penguin. there are a couple clunkers on it, I'm a road runner being one of them in my opinion, but I strongly agree on Revelation and Nightwatch, great songs
Old 08-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to get all three, Future, Heros, Penguin, Future mainly because I love Woman Of 1000 Years, I just never knew which album it was on (also too lazy too look it up )
Old 08-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I highly recommend Future Games. that's my favorite album of the Bob Welch era. the title track, as well as Woman of 1000 years are beutiful to listen to, as is the rest of the album
I love Woman of 1000 years , I've never heard Future Games. I'll Have to download it.