User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
The guy kind of laughed when I asked if I could bring my iPod. He said something about the machine destroying it or something. So I just left it at that. I know, I probably got the equipment from yesteryear or he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Oh and I may have had a valium before I went out there now that I think about it.
Ohh, he's right, the magnet would've wiped your iPod out I think!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
Me too. I also imagined that jack-hammering noise to be little elves repairing my disc.
I actually like sounds like that, like the photocopier. I zone out to the rhythm. Disc repairing elves.

If it ever gets severe like that again I will probably have the surgery but so far I've been lucky. It was also "sciatic" but they don't really call it that anymore. I had pain accross my left buttock and down my left leg. It also radiated out to my hip.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

My follow-up appt. was today (with the N. P.) She said that I had an old herniated disc (which I didn't know about), but also a bulging disc & a pinched nerve. She tried to give me a presciption for more muscle relaxers & an anti-inflamatory drug, but I told her that I didn't need them. The muscle relaxer puts me out & I'm not in that major pain enough for the anti-inflamatory drug. She said that it wasn't for pain but for inflamation. I told her that I'd just take aspirin or something. So I have to have physical therapy to which I said OK, but I'm thinking that I'll just go & see what I need to do & then I'll do it at home. I just don't have the time (to miss work) or the money for physical therapy. I had to ask her to show me the x-ray. I thought she'd just show it to me, but she seemed surprised that I wanted to see it. I mean I had to lay in a coffin-like device for what seemed like forever, of course I want to see the x-rays. So if anybody here had physical therapy for a pinched nerve, maybe you could let me know what to expect. I asked the N.P. if there was anything that I could do now, & of course, I have to ask them at physical therapy.

Lee
Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
My follow-up appt. was today (with the N. P.) She said that I had an old herniated disc (which I didn't know about), but also a bulging disc & a pinched nerve. She tried to give me a presciption for more muscle relaxers & an anti-inflamatory drug, but I told her that I didn't need them. The muscle relaxer puts me out & I'm not in that major pain enough for the anti-inflamatory drug. She said that it wasn't for pain but for inflamation. I told her that I'd just take aspirin or something. So I have to have physical therapy to which I said OK, but I'm thinking that I'll just go & see what I need to do & then I'll do it at home. I just don't have the time (to miss work) or the money for physical therapy. I had to ask her to show me the x-ray. I thought she'd just show it to me, but she seemed surprised that I wanted to see it. I mean I had to lay in a coffin-like device for what seemed like forever, of course I want to see the x-rays. So if anybody here had physical therapy for a pinched nerve, maybe you could let me know what to expect. I asked the N.P. if there was anything that I could do now, & of course, I have to ask them at physical therapy.

Lee
Oh that sucks. Take Ibuprofen, it is an anti-inflammatory as well as pain reliever. PT helped me so much I would say go to at least one session so you can get what you need. They assigned me some gentle stretching and strength training for my abs and legs using a band. Also, what about a cortisone shot, can you get one? That could take care of the pain in one fell swoop and then you can do PT without pain. I found the PT to be excellent because they are really trained to be in tune with you and have MUCH better bedside manner than surgeons!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ibuprofen!!

I ended up buying a Total Gym after using one at PT post-surgery. It is a great piece of equipment for stretching. I agree w/ Suze, go to one PT session to learn what to do. They also had me use those giant rubberband things that you hook onto a doorknob. Those are probably inexpensive and can be purchased at any sporting goods store.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've had a few MRIs, one of which with music. For me, being in enclosed places has never been an issue, so it was never a problem......
Old 07-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hahaha this is what I do for a part time job during the summer when im home from school. I check in people for xrays, catscans, ultrasounds, mri's ect. Sometimes I get to even help out on the actual exam. In fact, im at work right now. Everyone who works or steps foot in this hospital is angry and miserable. I have found that working in a hospital has definitely made me a worry wort. Its so difficult to check in someone who is getting their lungs drained, or has breast or lung cancer. The down side of the job is big. But I always tell everyone not to be scared of these tests and to just relax. The exam itself isn't scary, its what the results could be.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I'm avoiding another MRI...

because I fear what I may already know...So I avoid it.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."