User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I'd love to think this, and it MAY have been...butt also it may have been a neutered shell of its 1982 self even with her voice still able to hit higher notes. It's safe to assume that a '97 Sisters would have followed a similar arrangement to the 2013 version - a serviceable but not too exciting recreation of the studio version, not too dissimilar to what Rhiannon had become by 1997. Without the solo and really letting loose on the "all the same" part, it just wasn't the same as it had been. Sisters with the chanting "sistahhh, sistahh" and none of Lindsey's magic, was just flat.
I thought she might let rip like she did on the Dance GDW. But agreed re the 2013 version - I was all geared up to love it, and actually ended up much preferring her overlong weird GDW on that tour.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
A 1997/8 Stevie singing “Sisters of the Moon” would have been great
and even if she couldn't sing it the way she did in 1982, at least at that time she and the band were trying to appease Lindsey and not neuter his guitar playing, like she's been doing on more recent tours in 2000s. so we could get that screaming guitar solo that we've been discussing in a whole separate thread. 2013 version was bad because the singing was not worth it and she also wouldn't allow Lindsey to go to town with guitar part. so it was lose-lose.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I thought she might let rip like she did on the Dance GDW. But agreed re the 2013 version - I was all geared up to love it, and actually ended up much preferring her overlong weird GDW on that tour.
If it wasn't for her RIDICULOUS dance, the long extended Gold Dust Woman is actually pretty cool. I love the jam and I don't even mind the "can you see me now" stuff she does. But that horrible dance. That should NEVER have been done outside of her house.

And I thought she nailed Gold Dust Woman in that '97-2000 period. I even like the version she did at the Sheryl Crow concert in 1999. Her vocals were on point. But then Rhiannon at the same time was like a big old turd.

Sisters 2013-14 wasn't BAD. Some people here just panned the whole thing as horrifying. I didn't think it was bad at all and I did see a lot of similarities in arrangement to the album version, but I also think the appeal of playing Sisters live for the super fans was the longing for what was on that video from 1982 and to a lesser extent from the Tusk Tour. It just rocked out at a different level the way that it was arranged and how she sung it. In order for it to work live, it needed to be energized and the way they did it was just flat. Also, it's location in the middle of the set didn't really lend to it being the all out rocker that it was in 1978-82 during the encore.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
and even if she couldn't sing it the way she did in 1982, at least at that time she and the band were trying to appease Lindsey and not neuter his guitar playing, like she's been doing on more recent tours in 2000s. so we could get that screaming guitar solo that we've been discussing in a whole separate thread. 2013 version was bad because the singing was not worth it and she also wouldn't allow Lindsey to go to town with guitar part. so it was lose-lose.
Just like any modern version of Rhiannon - blah vocals and blah arrangement. The worst Rhiannon from 1978-82 (well after her vocal "exorcism" versions) destroys any version of it from The Dance onward.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Just like any modern version of Rhiannon - blah vocals and blah arrangement. The worst Rhiannon from 1978-82 (well after her vocal "exorcism" versions) destroys any version of it from The Dance onward.
yeah Rhiannon should have probably been retired long time ago. it is sad. luckily i don't have to ever hear it live again.

like you, i didn't mind 2013 SOTM, i just hated not having the screaming guitar in it. i so wanted to hear that live.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-22-2021, 08:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really like The Dance as is, most of them are pitch-perfect performances. If I were to make some changes, these are what they would be:
  1. "The Chain"
  2. "Dreams"
  3. "Everywhere"
  4. "Gold Dust Woman"
  5. "I'm So Afraid"
  6. "Isn't It Midnight" (Substituted for "Temporary One", carries the same high energy but would have an AMAZING guitar solo. I do like Temporary One however!)
  7. "Bleed to Love Her"
  8. "Gypsy"
  9. "Big Love"
  10. "Oh Daddy" (Substituted for "Go Insane", not into the solo songs. I would also accept "Brown Eyes" as it was rumored to be rehearsed for the show anyway).
  11. "Landslide"
  12. "Say You Love Me"
  13. "You Make Loving Fun"
  14. "Blue Letter" (Substituted for "My Little Demon". Same high energy, less lame lol. I would also accept "Monday Morning" or "Second Hand News" as all 3 are basically the same song).
  15. "Silver Springs"
  16. "Little Lies" (Substituted for "Over My Head". I understand why OMH was included in the setlist but does anyone honestly find this song interesting in the slightest? The 1980 Live Album version comes closest but it STILL bores me if I'm in the wrong mood. Little Lies would have made a much bigger splash).
  17. "Rhiannon"
  18. "Seven Wonders" (Substituted for "Sweet Girl". Sweet Girl is okay but I never seek it out. I would also accept "Angel" or "I Don't Want to Know")
  19. "Go Your Own Way"
  20. "Tusk" (Buckingham)
  21. "Don't Stop"
  22. "Sisters of the Moon" (splicing this one in because it is an incredible song and this probably would have been the last time it would have been great).
  23. "Songbird"

If I could splice in Sara I would but I do think its the least consequential of the dreamy witchy songs (Dreams, Rhiannon, Gypsy, Sisters, Silver Springs, GDW).

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 02-22-2021 at 08:17 PM..
Old 02-22-2021, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I really like The Dance as is, most of them are pitch-perfect performances.
I watched The Dance again a few nights ago, and I'm convinced that nearly all of it is overdubs. Just watching them singing harmonies, and I'm 99% positive that they're overdubs.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I watched The Dance again a few nights ago, and I'm convinced that nearly all of it is overdubs. Just watching them singing harmonies, and I'm 99% positive that they're overdubs.
Oh I'm sure. It's really evident on those harmonies in "Everywhere" or "Bleed to Love Her", they couldn't even harmonize that well in the 1970s

Still nice to listen to! Better than the Tango video version of Everywhere where they did overdubs AND it sounded horrible.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)

Last edited by Netter75; 02-22-2021 at 10:34 PM..
Old 02-22-2021, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Dance wasn’t a live album, it was a made for TV event. The CD is more like a soundtrack than a Fleetwood Mac album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-23-2021, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I really like The Dance as is, most of them are pitch-perfect performances. If I were to make some changes, these are what they would be:
[LIST=1]
[*] "Isn't It Midnight" (Substituted for "Temporary One", carries the same high energy but would have an AMAZING guitar solo. I do like Temporary One however!)
[*] "Oh Daddy" (Substituted for "Go Insane", not into the solo songs. I would also accept "Brown Eyes" as it was rumored to be rehearsed for the show anyway).
[*] "Blue Letter" (Substituted for "My Little Demon". Same high energy, less lame lol. I would also accept "Monday Morning" or "Second Hand News" as all 3 are basically the same song).
[*] "Little Lies" (Substituted for "Over My Head". I understand why OMH was included in the setlist but does anyone honestly find this song interesting in the slightest? The 1980 Live Album version comes closest but it STILL bores me if I'm in the wrong mood. Little Lies would have made a much bigger splash).
[*] "Seven Wonders" (Substituted for "Sweet Girl". Sweet Girl is okay but I never seek it out. I would also accept "Angel" or "I Don't Want to Know")
I like a lot of these suggestions! Certain songs to me are so similar, for example Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, and Sisters of the Moon, or Second Hand News, Blue Letter, and Monday Morning. Those songs by Nicks and Buckingham have a similar vibe or atmosphere, and are virtually interchangable. I love them, especially those Buck songs, but yeah, there’s a big similarity between them. I Don’t Want to Know live would be a dream come true for me, but instead we got Sweet Girl Brown Eyes would have been intriguing, and hearing Christine and Lindsey on Isn’t It Midnight would have been exciting, much more so than Temporary One.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Oh I totally agree. Just remember the inaugural ball's Dont Stop was a pre-recorded track. I hate this stuff. Everything is so fake these days...not just concerts. There are endless prank video channels of pranking people and the acting is so bad its not even funny. Nothing is original these days. Good grief...if the Tango concert in 1987 was lip synced why would they change it up in 1997 when their voices are older and they are not as glamorous as they once were. When the Who played the Super Bowl about 10 years ago, not only was it not live but they also piped in the crowd singing "Teenage Wasteland."

Nothing is real anymore. What next? Did the USC Marching Band pretend to play Tusk at the show? Was this also pre-recorded. We were all fooled. Think about it. The marching band is too big to be on mic.

“Is all that we see or seem,
But a dream within a dream?”
Edgar Alan Poe

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-23-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-23-2021, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh I totally agree. Just remember the inaugural ball's Dont Stop was a pre-recorded track. I hate this stuff. Everything is so fake these days...not just concerts. There are endless prank video channels of pranking people and the acting is so bad its not even funny. Nothing is original these days. Good grief...if the Tango concert in 1987 was lip synced why would they change it up in 1997 when their voices are older and they are not as glamorous as they once were. When the Who played the Super Bowl about 10 years ago, not only was it not live but they also piped in the crowd singing "Teenage Wasteland."

Nothing is real anymore. What next? Did the USC Marching Band pretend to play Tusk at the show? Was this also pre-recorded. We were all fooled. Think about it. The marching band is too big to be on mic.

“Is all that we see or seem,
But a dream within a dream?”
Edgar Alan Poe
Daaannnngggggg, you sound old and bitter!!!

Nothing is real anymore. 90% of acts use tracks now. What happened to the world between Mirage and Tango that everything had to sound exactly like the record? Warts are no longer allowed....

And everything is a f*cking remake now. My best friend is 33, and every song I hear when I'm over there is a F*CKING REMAKE. I'll say, "you know this is an Elton John song, right?" "What?!" "Yes, WHY DON'T YOU JUST LISTEN TO THE ORIGINALS?"

Daaannnngggggg, now I sound old and bitter!!!
Old 02-23-2021, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Daaannnngggggg, you sound old and bitter!!!

Nothing is real anymore. 90% of acts use tracks now. What happened to the world between Mirage and Tango that everything had to sound exactly like the record? Warts are no longer allowed....

And everything is a f*cking remake now. My best friend is 33, and every song I hear when I'm over there is a F*CKING REMAKE. I'll say, "you know this is an Elton John song, right?" "What?!" "Yes, WHY DON'T YOU JUST LISTEN TO THE ORIGINALS?"

Daaannnngggggg, now I sound old and bitter!!!
Its either a remake or stolen material. Puff Daddy aka Diddy aka whatever his name is now made millions "sampling" aka stealing the riffs of other songs. You used to have to be creative and develop your own s**t. Now you just steal it. I remember when Vanilla Ice was dragged to hell for stealing Bowie but then it just became cool. Now original artists don't mind because they make money off it. Wouldn't be so freaking cool if Stevie and Waddy told Beyonce go F yourself, you are not using my song and my riff.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its either a remake or stolen material. Puff Daddy aka Diddy aka whatever his name is now made millions "sampling" aka stealing the riffs of other songs. You used to have to be creative and develop your own s**t. Now you just steal it. I remember when Vanilla Ice was dragged to hell for stealing Bowie but then it just became cool. Now original artists don't mind because they make money off it. Wouldn't be so freaking cool if Stevie and Waddy told Beyonce go F yourself, you are not using my song and my riff.
Exactly. But I guess the bottom line(even if you're already RICH) is just money. Wouldn't you think if you had 20-30 million bucks, that you'd be okay, and decide that you don't need to make any more(since you're already knocking on death's door! ), and make decisions based on being an artist?
Old 02-23-2021, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The Dance wasn’t a live album, it was a made for TV event. The CD is more like a soundtrack than a Fleetwood Mac album.
Oh for sure. It just sounds so good.