The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If John isn’t on board then I can’t imagine a replacement for him. The last tour was an embarrassment. A tour with John now would only increase the pointlessness. The project is done.

And no Stevie? I’m a little surprised, but hey, I can understand.

I bet Mick will start sniffing around Lindsey for work!

I just want one more Christine studio project.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pretty stoked Crazy 'Bout You Baby was played on national British radio in 2021. The Christine Perfect album is so under-rated.
Cool.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-07-2021, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
https://retropopmagazine.com/stevie-...vq3dnYnb8rnubw

Stevie Nicks, Christine and John McVie ‘quit Fleetwood Mac’
Retro Pop February 7, 2021
Fleetwood MacPress

Fleetwood Mac rose to become one of the biggest bands of all time in the mid-’70s with mega-hits like Dreams, Go Your Own Way, Little Lies and Rhiannon…

But in an interview with BBC Radio 2, singer and pianist Christine McVie hinted she, singer Stevie Nicks and bass player John McVie won’t be touring with the band in the future.

When asked whether Fleetwood Mac’s current line-up – starring Stevie, Christine, Neil Finn, John Mcvie, Mike Campbell and Mick Fleetwood – would tour again, the Songbird star told Sounds of the 70s with Johnnie Walker: “That’s an impossible question to even answer.

“If we do, it would be without John and without Stevie, I think. I think I’m getting a bit too old for it now – especially having had a year off. I don’t know if I could get myself back into it again.

“I know Mick would do it in a lightning strike, but I couldn’t possibly say… We’re certainly not touring this year either.”

She did not reveal whether the trio would still record with the band.

Reflecting on founding member John’s apparent departure from the group, Christine added: “He’s feeling a little bit frail. You know, he was ill – he’s fine – but he just hasn’t got the heart for it anymore.

“He wants to get on his boat. You reach a certain age where you go, ‘Hey, I’m not gonna bust a gut doing this anymore.

“You know, it all looks very nice when you come and see the show, but the work that goes behind it to get to that point is unbelievable.”

Fleetwood Mac formed in 1967 and enjoyed success in the UK as a blues band, before heading stateside and, after a string of line-up changes, recruited Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and released their self-titled 10th album.

That line-up, featuring Lindsey, Stevie, Christine, John and Mick went on to release 5 studio albums, including the record-breaking ‘Rumours’, ‘Tusk’ and ‘Tango In the Night’.

Lindsey quit in 1987 and was replaced by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, who toured the album and recorded follow-up ‘Behind The Mask’.

Rick and Stevie later left, while a hybrid line-up promoted the album ‘Time, after which the classic five reunited for ‘The Dance’ and a subsequent tour.

Fleetwood Mac toured sans Christine from 2003 to 2013 as a four-piece, after which she returned for the 2014-2015 ‘On With the Show’ jaunt.

Lindsey left the band in 2018 and, through 2019, Neil Finn and Mike Campbell joined for another world tour.
that's the biggest shame of this line up of people. The fact that the last of those measly 5 albums was released in 1987.....and that they've basically been rehashing that material ever since.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well if John is through touring Fleetwood MAC is no more.

It’ll be Fleetwood and Co
Fleetwood and chums
Fleetwood feat. Buckingham

etc etc.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Based on some of the interviews Stevie has done over the last year, she's feeling rather resentful that her last 'youthful' years are being 'stolen' from her ie preventing her from getting out and doing her solo shows (as Mick pointed out she would have done one already if she'd been able to). She sees the solo shows as really the forum for solidifying herself as a legend; the FM tours as $$$. At this point, with dwindling time left, and now with the $$$ part taken care of with the catalog sale, her desire to really cap her legacy as herself is her priority. A long tedious Mac tour would not serve the legacy and now she doesn't need the money. So yeah, if she surfaces again, it ain't gonna be with FM but solo.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
If John isn’t on board then I can’t imagine a replacement for him.
I would say Al Ortiz in a heartbeat. Stevie got her people into the live band throughout the years. Sharon and Lori, Carlos, Ricky Peterson.

Call me sick if you'd like but I think Christine through this interview is reaching out to Lindsey. She's basically saying, Stevie's going to do her own thing, John wants to live a great home life with his family. I'm up for anything right now.

Perfect time for Lindsey to connect with her. They could do extremely well in the UK touring there. I would love to see them at Albert Hall or the Hammersmith!
Old 02-07-2021, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Based on some of the interviews Stevie has done over the last year, she's feeling rather resentful that her last 'youthful' years are being 'stolen' from her ie getting out and doing her solo shows (as Mick pointed out she would have done one already if she'd been able to). She sees the solo shows as really the forum for solidifying herself as a legend; the FM tours as $$$. At this point, with dwindling time left, and now with the $$$ part taken care of with the catalog sale, her desire to really cap her legacy as herself is her priority. A long tedious Mac tour would not serve the legacy and now she doesn't need the money. So yeah, if she surfaces again, it ain't gonna be with FM but solo.
great analysis that makes tons of sense.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
If John isn’t on board then I can’t imagine a replacement for him.
I can actually imagine a perfect replacement for John, but I don’t see Mick doing something even more radical than the 94-95 lineup of Fleetwood Mac. That said…

Neil Murray: One of the things that set Fleetwood Mac apart from The Eagles or CSNY was the driving rhythm section. Neil Murray is bassist who was part of a driving rhythm section with the late Cozy Powell. They were in lots of bands together, including Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, and Peter Green’s Splinter Group. He’s also worked with Martin Birch and Keith Olsen, so there’s a kindredness with him. His background in British blues rock, his history with Peter Green, and having been part of a rhythm section make him kind of the perfect choice.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2021, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Well if John is through touring Fleetwood MAC is no more.

It’ll be Fleetwood and Co
Fleetwood and chums
Fleetwood feat. Buckingham

etc etc.
I agree with the second part of this exactly. and sadly, for many of the concert attendees, any of those listed options would still draw them in. I doubt if many of the casual fans could even identify John in a lineup or could articulate that he's the "Mac" in the band's name.

But Mick would do it in a heartbeat, which means your first statement won't matter to anyone but the true blue fans.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It makes the canning of Lindsey all the more upsetting. If John thought it would be his last tour and also if Stevie thought she wouldn't tour again with the Mac, why did they fire Lindsey?

Suck it up for a few months. This band drives me crazy.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 02-07-2021, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I can actually imagine a perfect replacement for John, but I don’t see Mick doing something even more radical than the 94-95 lineup of Fleetwood Mac. That said…

Neil Murray.
Nah I think Flea from TRHCP for John . Lady Gaga for Nicks ,Adele Atkins for Christine and The Weekend for Lindsey...then Mick can having a money making super group again!

Old 02-07-2021, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just listed to the interview.

In truth, there's not much there. Christine doesn't seem to be basing her conversation on anything in particular, other than there just aren't any plans. I wouldn't expect there to be any plans in place. Planning for the medium/long term hasn't been what Fleetwood Mac have done for 40 years. Having seen images of John on the previous tour, its pretty obvious he's most likely done. In truth, I wouldn't expect anything more from him. He's well and truly earned his retirement and it would be unfair to even think of cajoling him into anything more. Stevie will be intent on doing something Stevie-related next. I don't think there's any big revelation from Chris. I think it's just the case she knows Stevie will be taking her 2 year solo hiatus and that means there's realistically no scope for any future FM-related activity afterwards.

I wish Chris would just stand up and say 'I want to make music', whoever that might be with. She's a musician who hasn't created as much music as she should have done over the past 30 years. Mick, Rick, Lindsey, Neil. Whoever. Just do something productive in some way. She tried retirement and ultimately didn't like it. Take charge and be creative!

btw- Mick's so transparent. His cash cow has gone and he's desperate for something or someone to latch onto.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-07-2021, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If they needed a new bass player sans John they'd most likely use Lenny Castellanos

Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-07-2021, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
as i already wrote - Mick hikes up expenses. you may have unlimited pot of money to throw away but most of us don't.
So, Lindsey fans are angry with Fleetwood Mac because they fired him, but don’t want Lindsey to work with Mick because it could possibly raise ticket prices?

Quote:
i'd rather have a tour in smaller theaters for cheaper with bunch of Lindsey solo stuff like in 2018, than sheds or arenas for more money with less solo and just FM songs plus Micks expensive m&gs to get better seats. and, i can't stand the sleazebag. what his drumming brings is way outweighed by what his presence takes away, for me - and i know for many others who were hoping Mick will not be on BuckVie tour.
Well, it’s assumed that if Mick is part of Lindsey’s solo band that Lindsey would be the boss, and things like that, especially at the level where they’d be playing, wouldn’t exist. I doubt Mick would do a M&G. Maybe they would do a joint M&G, but it wouldn’t be like a Fleetwood Mac arena show.

Then again, I’m fine seeing them in nosebleeds and have never done a M&G.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2021, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Nah I think Flea from TRHCP for John . Lady Gaga for Nicks ,Adele Atkins for Christine and The Weekend for Lindsey...then Mick can having a money making super group again!
I’d totally get Flea if I thought that was remotely possible! However, in all seriousness, I try to keep it to people with some connection to the band. Like, I could imagine something like this:

Mick Fleetwood
Lindsey Buckingham
Neil Finn
Colbie Caillat
Neil Murray
Mitchell Froom

THE Stephen Hopkins