Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face Letter to Christine

Judging by this comment, writing a letter to Christine is probably the last thing she'd like me to do...

"I was in Tower Records in San Francisco a few weeks ago, buying some cassettes, and a couple of people recognized me and ran up with albums, and I just wanted to cover my face and have a seizure or something. I want people to just go away."

Well, I'll just pretend I never heard that!
So, has anyone here ever written fan mail before? (Wait, silly question...) And how exactly would I address it to her? (This seems even more silly...) I've never done something like this before, because I (usually) prefer to leave famous people alone... however, I can't listen to songs like "Little Lies" and "Brown Eyes" and not give her a well deserved thanks! She's too beautiful!
And, yes, I know letters are an archaic method of communication... in fact, I can't remember the last time I wrote one! (I probably wrote something to my grandparents living in another state when I was very young...) All the same, it feels right, so I'll let my intuition overpower my rationality for a change!
So, what should I know about sending fan mail? Any help, even the most mundane, would be greatly appreciated!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 12-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Judging by this comment, writing a letter to Christine is probably the last thing she'd like me to do...

"I was in Tower Records in San Francisco a few weeks ago, buying some cassettes, and a couple of people recognized me and ran up with albums, and I just wanted to cover my face and have a seizure or something. I want people to just go away."

Well, I'll just pretend I never heard that!
So, has anyone here ever written fan mail before? (Wait, silly question...) And how exactly would I address it to her? (This seems even more silly...) I've never done something like this before, because I (usually) prefer to leave famous people alone... however, I can't listen to songs like "Little Lies" and "Brown Eyes" and not give her a well deserved thanks! She's too beautiful!
And, yes, I know letters are an archaic method of communication... in fact, I can't remember the last time I wrote one! (I probably wrote something to my grandparents living in another state when I was very young...) All the same, it feels right, so I'll let my intuition overpower my rationality for a change!
So, what should I know about sending fan mail? Any help, even the most mundane, would be greatly appreciated!
I've never written to anyone in Fleetwood Mac just for the sole purpose of that I didn't want to end up disappointed if they didn't write back. If you really want to write to Christine, I would just write a polite as possible letter saying how you feel about her and her music. She may not mind. Being faced with a fan or a Letter from a fan are two very different things. As for addressing it, I guess I'd write 'Dear Ms. McVie". That may seem a little 'formal' but she is older and may expect formality. Good luck!! (yet, this could all be avoided if, even once a year,all the members of FMac past and present visited The Ledge to answer some questions!) My thanks to the members who have done so!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I only wrote on Ask Stevie, at nicksfix.com. Never got answered.

I think the issue with famous people is that they don't like that people try to get in contact with the star instead of the person. Fran Drescher told that after she divorced, she slept with some guys who said in the morning "I slept with The Nanny!", like an award or something like that.

And try to meet the person is kind of difficult. We only see them singing, on stage, on interviews, what media say about them. I have no idea how they like to spend easter holidays, christmas, vacations, they ideal date, etc. What would be my interest on becoming friend of Christine, Stevie or Lindsey? I think that's what they ask.

But writing a true fan polite letter saying how you feel about her and her music, as holidayroad say, may be welcome.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't hurt to write a letter. But I doubt she'll answer it. She may not even read it. Who cares?! Write it! Without fans like us who believed in her music, Christine might just be a retired art school teacher or something.

The only communication I've had with members of FM are through the Q&As (Bob Welch, Bob Weston, David Walker, Billy Burnett) and occasionally through Jeremy Spencer's comments on the Pre-Rumours forum. Those moments alone have made me feel special!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Can't hurt to write a letter. But I doubt she'll answer it. She may not even read it. Who cares?! Write it! Without fans like us who believed in her music, Christine might just be a retired art school teacher or something.

The only communication I've had with members of FM are through the Q&As (Bob Welch, Bob Weston, David Walker, Billy Burnett) and occasionally through Jeremy Spencer's comments on the Pre-Rumours forum. Those moments alone have made me feel special!
I did write an e-mail to Bob Welch a few years back about his videos. I failed to mention that in my other post. I guess that can be 'technically' a letter! (He did answer, by the way!) Thanks Bob!!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I did write an e-mail to Bob Welch a few years back about his videos. I failed to mention that in my other post. I guess that can be 'technically' a letter! (He did answer, by the way!) Thanks Bob!!
That's because Bob Welch is a REAL person(no offense to Christine). Bob is a regular guy, who has constant contact with the folks who post on his site. Which makes Bob, the coolest Mac member, in my book.
"Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac" - Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's because Bob Welch is a REAL person(no offense to Christine). Bob is a regular guy, who has constant contact with the folks who post on his site. Which makes Bob, the coolest Mac member, in my book.
"Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac" - Mick Fleetwood
I agree with your statement 'a real person'. I'd like to think that if I had been a famous person, I would have been as 'real' about it as he has. He shows he appreciates his fans. That counts for a lot!
Old 12-25-2009, 03:38 AM

I wrote Christine a letter back in 1986 and she sent me an autographed picture with a personal inscription on it.. and her assistant wrote me a long letter telling me that Christine was really taken by my letter and was working on Tango in the Night and the music was some of the best she has ever written...

The letter was on the White album stationary with the penguin... I ran around my house like a kid on xmas with that letter.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I wrote Christine a letter back in 1986 and she sent me an autographed picture with a personal inscription on it.. and her assistant wrote me a long letter telling me that Christine was really taken by my letter and was working on Tango in the Night and the music was some of the best she has ever written...

The letter was on the White album stationary with the penguin... I ran around my house like a kid on xmas with that letter.
Wow!.. err, I mean, WOW!!!
To be honest, the only reason I'd want to hear from Christine is to know that my letter arrived. Even if she emailed me a blank page I'd be satisfied! That said, a response like that would make my day!.. err, I mean, lifetime!
But now, back on track. The basic questions I was asking (which wasn't at all clear in my post - my bad) was about what her address was, or where I might find it, and what details I'd need for an international letter, seeing as I'm from Australia. I ask here only because I've never sent a letter, as far as I remember, and I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone else who may know in person... I'm embarrassed enough here, as can be told by my thread icon! In any case, this is a secret, personal project, except for those kind and helpful enough to reply to this thread (cheers! ).
So, do tell, and I'll eagerly listen!
And Merry Xmas!
(Also, about my signature question... is it just me?)
Old 12-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure no one here has access to Christine's personal mailing address ... or if they do, they won't reveal it here.

That doesn't mean you can't find an address where she receives mail. I would begin with your local library. Ask them if they have a book of celebrity addresses. It probably won't show a home address, but it might give a management office or something like that.

If your library can't help, ask the librarian what she suggests. Many newspapers have a feature where they receive and answer a wide range of inquiries. My local paper has such a feature and often gets requests for celebrity addresses.

Once you've secured the address, write the letter. I'd suggest composing it on your computer, so you can edit and work on it to your satisfaction. Make it short, three paragraphs or so. Don't be too gushy ... just sincere. And then write it out by hand. Be sure to include your mailing address ... just in case.

Once the letter's done, put it in an envelope with the address all filled out, and your return address written up in the left hand corner, and bring it to the post office. It won't be too heavy so the postage won't be too expensive.

Good luck! Be sure to tell Christine how much you like her piano playing ... she always did consider herself a musician first, and a singer second.

One more thing ... I suspect Chris doesn't get huge bags of fan mail. If she ever did, I'm sure she doesn't any more. So don't be embarrassed about writing. You might just put a smile on her face ... everybody likes to be appreciated for what they do.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

Old 12-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By the way, where would you send the letter? To Sanctuary Records?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
By the way, where would you send the letter? To Sanctuary Records?
I'm guessing not, because it was written 23 years ago. I know Sanctuary was in the UK then, but I don't think they were affiliated with FM.

Michele
Old 12-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
(Also, about my signature question... is it just me?)
No, it is a gorgeous picture of her. I also would love to write Christine a letter, I have always just figured that she wouldn't want it. So could you post the address perhaps when you get it?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
No, it is a gorgeous picture of her. I also would love to write Christine a letter, I have always just figured that she wouldn't want it. So could you post the address perhaps when you get it?
With pleasure. However, I'm have almost no idea how long that could take... depends on how helpful my local library or newspaper is... but I'm sure I'll be more persistent with this than I usually am about most things to acquire said address! I'll keep you informed.