Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, for starters, IT WASN'T ON RUMOURS. End of argument.

That's some damned $tevie Nix logic you've got going on, though...
I've never been that crazy for SS studio. It falls a little flat compared to The Dance version.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I'd actually put Dreams way down the list.
Oh, you so-and-so. “Dreams” is the best thing they ever did—and makes everything else seem like heaving, heavy-handed melodrama.

Now there you go again
You say you want your freedom
Who am I to keep you down?
It’s only right that you should
Play the way you feel it —
But listen carefully to the sound
of your loneliness

There’s more poetry in that than in her entire solo catalogue. Check out that wicked progression of verbs — go > say > want > keep > play > feel > listen (after a breakup, you wander around your apartment doing, doing, doing mindlessly) — or that internal rhyming of “say . . . play the way,” or the sound-sense of the beat of the drums and its emphasis on “heartbeat,” and how “loneliness” deftly spans the hesitant, spare creep of the music, as if it were a crushed, enervated lover. Wicked, man!

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 02-09-2021 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-09-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Oh, you so-and-so. “Dreams” is the best thing they ever did—and makes everything else seem like heaving, heavy-handed melodrama.

Now there you go again
of your loneliness

There’s more poetry in that than in her entire solo catalogue. Check out that wicked progression of verbs—go > say > want > keep > play > feel > listen—or that internal rhyming of “say . . . play the way,” or the sound-sense of the beat of the drums and its deft emphasis of “heartbeat” and how “loneliness” spans the hesitant, spare creep of the music, as if it were a crushed, enervated lover. Wicked, man!
You know, my rankings change with this album. But, I truly love your demonstration because much like "In My World" you can really feel the negative sentiment in the lyrics. The pure passive aggression. I love it.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Now there you go again
of your loneliness

There’s more poetry in that than in her entire solo catalogue. Check out that wicked progression of verbs — go > say > want > keep > play > feel > listen (after a breakup, you wander around your apartment doing, doing, doing mindlessly) — or that internal rhyming of “say . . . play the way,” or the sound-sense of the beat of the drums and its emphasis on “heartbeat,” and how “loneliness” deftly spans the hesitant, spare creep of the music, as if it were a crushed, enervated lover. Wicked, man!
Nice "read" of Dreams.

Nothing Christine has ever sung sounds like heavy-handed melodrama. She is the queen of understatement.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
1) GYOW
2) The Chain
3) YMLF

Toss the rest of them up in the air and see how they land. They could all be in any order on any given day.
I was going to rank the top three exactly as you had, but it depends on the day as to whether YMLF gets 2 or 3. In actuality, the top three songs are all equally amazeballs and really all belong at #1.

Like you, I think the rest can pretty much fall under them as "great songs but not those three great songs."
Old 02-09-2021, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've never been that crazy for SS studio. It falls a little flat compared to The Dance version.
Yep. The 1977 version sounds immature, her voice shaky and unsettled in its register. The Dance version is outstanding. She grew into the song and in 1997 gave it the gravitas it deserved.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yep. The 1977 version sounds immature, her voice shaky and unsettled in its register. The Dance version is outstanding. She grew into the song and in 1997 gave it the gravitas it deserved.
Studio wise: I think IDWK was the better choice.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Studio wise: I think IDWK was the better choice.
Agreed. And it plays well in the running order, balances the slower with the upbeat tunes.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Ok Ok, the peer pressure got to me so I'll give this a whirl

Go Your Own Way
This is more than just a song, its an anthem. Its a mainstay on classic rock radio to this day. Lindsey just lets it rock. John is an orchestra and the layers Lindsey put on the song are unique. Yes the music is wonderful but what a wonderful break up song. Go your own way. Nuff said. Still one of the best guitar solos in rock.

You Make Loving Fun
Love the lyrics. Written from the heart. This song is a love song but rocks with insane Lindsey guitar licks. Christine churns the synthesizer and its a match made in heaven. Love how the chorus is at the end which makes this song not your typical pop song. Its got heart, soul, and is pure magic.

Gold Dust Woman
This song is golden (pardon the pun). Great lyrics and this song has major mood. Its so Stevie and Lindsey went to extremes to make this the extraordinary song that it is.

The Chain
I prefer the live version of this song but John's famous bass line made me put this at #4. Fantastic group effort and the song has so many elements. The Mac does rock sometimes and this song rocks.

Oh Daddy (dedicated to Homer)
This song is pure magic and is probably my favorite music track of the band. Its so 70s and mystical. I see a foggy, misty morning with the sun just coming up when I hear the music. Christine's keyboard ending is so special but Lindsey's acoustic guitar sounds so powerful, majestic, and wonderful. With the simple percussion licks, this is a musical treasure. This is what Fleetwood Mac sounds like!

Dont Stop
Sorry folks. I like this song. Its a shuffle but the way that its played is really fun. Its played to death but you cant take from the song, this is an excellent song. Its turned into an anthem and I love it. I still sing along to it in the car.

Dreams
I actually turn this song off in the car because I've heard it too much but I do realize how special the song is. The music is wonderful with Chris and Lindsey playing around each other and it has a great chorus.

Second Hand News
What a perfect album opener to one of the biggest albums ever. It just just gets your toes tapping.

Songbird
I dont have to comment on this song because everyone knows how beautiful it is. I regret not playing it at my mother's funeral

I Dont Want To Know
Its a great sing along song for sure. I like it. I would have taken Silver Springs instead but its still a good sing along song and fits the album perfectly.

Never Going Back Again
Having her Chris has this as her ringtone makes me guilty putting this song last. It does not mean I dont like it. Its just probably my least favorite on Rumours.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Objectively, You Make Loving Fun is the best song on Rumours.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Nice "read" of Dreams.

Nothing Christine has ever sung sounds like heavy-handed melodrama. She is the queen of understatement.
Looking away from “Homeward Bound” now...

THE Stephen Hopkins