Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The title song is one of my all-time favorite songs period. It’s a one-off tribal thing that gets me all frisky every time I hear it.
I love the title track. Lindsey's songs grew on me. That's All For Everyone, Save Me A Place, Tusk and WATL, in particular.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahead of its time has been used to describe the title track in hindsight- Perhaps would've been better as a selling feature that the album had this quickly title track alongside the great Mac music that we know and love. Still a great tune though highly original and fun to listen to.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love the title track. Lindsey's songs grew on me. That's All For Everyone, Save Me A Place, Tusk and WATL, in particular.
IF you had to skip one Lindsey song on Tusk, what would it be?

For me, it would definitely be Not That Funny. The live Mirage version ruined it for me.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

For me, it would definitely be Not That Funny. The live Mirage version ruined it for me.
Yes it wasn’t my favorite of his live performances but I love the studio version. No skips for me!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I would skip Not that Funny. The live Mirage version saves it for me.

I love the 4 piece jam. Otherwise, I have no use for that song .
Old 11-30-2020, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I would skip Not that Funny. The live Mirage version saves it for me.

I love the 4 piece jam. Otherwise, I have no use for that song .
Yeah, right!

For you people who don't know to what I'm referring, skip ahead to about the 9:10 mark. Ef*cking gads! The HUMANITY!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbrCeJdyPqE
Old 11-30-2020, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, I like that part.

Also going to that YouTube video and seeing suggested clips reminded me of Lindsey laying his head on Stevie’s back. I liked that.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, I like that part.

Also going to that YouTube video and seeing suggested clips reminded me of Lindsey laying his head on Stevie’s back. I liked that.
9:10 is the reason none of my high school friends would watch Mirage with me, UNLESS I skipped NTF. They liked the rest of it, but thought that NTF was NTG.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Homer- probably skip the Ledge and That's All for Everyone, Not That Funny, What Makes You Think You're the One, Thats Enough for Me. Keepers would be Walk a Thin Line, Save Me a Place, I know I'm Not Wrong, and Tusk for a single CD.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always thought I Know I'm Not Wrong would've been a decent single.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I've always thought I Know I'm Not Wrong would've been a decent single.
Especially with the alt version with Stevie’s vocals more prominent.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Homer- probably skip the Ledge and That's All for Everyone, Not That Funny, What Makes You Think You're the One, Thats Enough for Me. Keepers would be Walk a Thin Line, Save Me a Place, I know I'm Not Wrong, and Tusk for a single CD.
Wow. The Ledge, and WMYTYTO are my favorites.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie would just have used those songs for solo albums, not held them for future FM albums.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
As much as I like Tusk, Tusk had an overall negative effect on the band. The band was NEVER the same again. After the negative press of Tusk, the band was always chasing commercial success which was what Tusk was not about. After Tusk came Mirage, a light pop album purposely created to make music box radio friendly songs. Then Tango, the synth prop album that was anything but daring. It makes you wonder if Tusk actually was similar to the white album and Rumours, what would have happened to the band post Tusk.
if there was no Tusk, all their albums would just be trying to be commerciality-attempting replicas of Rumours.

as far as songs go, i adore Think About Me but all other Chris songs are too slow for me. i adore alternate version of SOTM, and am ok with album versions of BC and Storms but adore live versions from BN FM. i could never stand Sara, such a dirge. Lindsey songs are a great solo album on their own and i used to listen to just them. i adore WMYTYTO and WATL, and Tusk is my Gen Z daughter's favorite Mac song. i've never been at FM or LB show where Tusk was not a huge crowd pleaser. guess everyone knows it from football games. short punkish NTF on OWTS tour was fantastic. TAFE has been revered by newer artists as huge influence but i just don't care for it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
if there was no Tusk, all their albums would just be trying to be commerciality-attempting replicas of Rumours.
I think the album was designed to alienate about half the people posting in this thread, with their ideas for more sales, more sameness, more mainstream radio logic. A Tusk album that sold 15 million in 1979 is a contradiction in terms. Without that album, the band would have been, by 1979, just an old character actor (pop culture was that evanescent and that brutal). Without the burn and the freakishness, there would have been no reason for the Washington Post or the Philadelphia Enquirer critics (Ken Tucker, John Rockwell, Robert Hilburn, and all) to write articles comparing Tusk with The Long Run — giving Fleetwood the clear lead for creativity and fire. I don’t want a one-album Tusk any more than I want a twenty-minute Nights of Cabiria.

Quote:
i've never been at FM or LB show where Tusk was not a huge crowd pleaser. guess everyone knows it from football games.
My mum and pops were USC football season ticket holders in 1979–80. We went to all the home games at the Coliseum. “Tusk” was unmistakably important to the Trojan halftime shows and the games in general. All the Trojan fans knew it (and even the Bruins knew it) and got pumped up when Traveler the white horse rode out with the song blaring from the band. It was a whole scene for a long time at USC games. I think the Trojan Marching Band angle made “Tusk” the song immortal in Los Angeles. Everyone knew it. As I said, even my parents knew it. One afternoon, they played it for a friend, another doctor, and she bought the album. I doubt she listened or liked the rest of the album much, but “Tusk” was her longtime musical gimmick. She joined us at many a Trojan football game, where Tusk was the immediate signal for celebration in the stands. It was ecstasy for the crowds, and Fleetwood Mac’s mystique was intertwined in it. I also saw the first incarnation of the marching band play at the Forum in December — this is what Los Angeles was like in the late Seventies! You just can’t separate “Tusk” from Fleetwood Mac in 1979: they were both the same thing (for a time). Album sales are another thing. They indicate that some people just didn’t want the album playing in their car — but they wanted the song at the football games.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 11-30-2020 at 08:52 PM..