Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2023, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lovely tribute posted by Pat Simmons on Facebook:

"I was remiss when I made my post about Jeff Beck, Robbie Bachman, and David Crosby, in not including Christine McVie. I actually have a little more history with Christine. I met her back in the mid 70’s when we found ourselves playing frequently with Fleetwood Mac. This was The Mac with guitar player-singer Bob Welch. I remember being excited to hear this new lineup. Our drummer Mike Hossack had been a huge fan of the early Fleetwood Mac with guitarist Peter Green, and he turned me on to them. I remained a fan, and followed them through all their various incarnations. When we played for the first time with them I was blown away, especially by Christine. I vaguely remembered her from Chickenshack, but somehow this was entirely different. Her playing, and singing had so much power, and the songs she sang were amazing! She, and Bob had a chemistry together that was compelling. After they played, I found the band backstage, introduced myself, and told them how much I loved what they were doing, and how much of a fan I was. They were all so nice, but at the time I really connected with Bob, and Christine. We chatted for quite a while, and every time our bands played together after that, we would look for one another, and say hello.
This continued for a couple of years maybe, on, and off. When Bob left, and formed another band, Paris, we stayed in contact for awhile. I didn’t see Christine again until many years later after Lindsey, and Stevie were part of the band, and they had become the ultra popular group they are today. We were playing with them at a big outdoor stadium show in Oakland, CA. I saw them drive up in their limousines, (yes multiple limos!) She saw me, and came directly toward me, put her arms around me, and gave me a warm hug. ‘It’s so good to see you again Pat, she said in my ear. ‘We’ve both certainly been through a lot of changes since we first met!’ We chatted a bit more then went into our respective dressing rooms. Both bands played, it was a beautiful sunny California day. Needless to say Fleetwood Mac performed a flawless wonderfully amazing show. I watched every second, smiles all around. Afterward, we waved goodby, at the time I thought for good.
Some years later we were performing in Maui, Hawaii. We had a few days off and were hanging out enjoying beautiful Maui. I got a call from someone in the band, or crew saying a few of us had been invited to visit Christine McVie at her house In Lahaina. Such an unexpected thing… I had heard she was back in England, no longer working with the band. I wasn’t really sure what she was up to? Anyway, some of us ended up at a little house somewhere outside Lahaina, and there was Christine waiting at the door to greet us. ‘Oh, I hoped you could make it Pat!’, she said. She offered us all drinks, a few doobies were passed around, we hung out, talked about whatever was happening, the old days, the new horizons we hoped for, and just enjoyed the moment. Her ex-husband John McVie shuffled through, said hi to all of us, and shuffled out again. They were still friends, and I believe she said they owned the house together, or with Mick Fleetwood, I can’t exactly remember? But, the just of it was, they were all still friends, and there were still roads ahead they would be traveling together. Everyone loved Christine.
It was an evening I’ve played over, and over again in my mind through the years. Probably 15 years later when I moved to Maui, I was lucky to become friends with Mick Fleetwood, participating with him at musical events, and fortunate to see him here, and there. I hoped I would see Christine again someday, but it was not to be. When I heard she had passed, I was disappointed that we never were able to reconnect. From what I heard she was fulfilled as an artist, accomplished all the things she had set out to do, was loved, and respected by her friends, colleagues, and band mates. She truly is for me, one of the best singer, songwriter, instrumentalists, I have ever had the great fortune to have met, and interacted with in my lifetime. Beyond that she was a warm giving person, who always stayed grounded. She was always the same person every time we met. That’s kind of rare in this business, where fame can easily alter one’s personality. Like all those who knew Christine, we will miss her generous spirit. We thank you sister for so many wonderful memories that we will hold forever in our hearts, along with the sweet gift of your music."
-Pat Simmons
Old 01-25-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

"I was remiss when I made my post about Jeff Beck, Robbie Bachman, and David Crosby, in not including Christine McVie. I actually have a little more history with Christine. I met her back in the mid 70’s when we found ourselves playing frequently with Fleetwood Mac. This was The Mac with guitar player-singer Bob Welch. I remember being excited to hear this new lineup. Our drummer Mike Hossack had been a huge fan of the early Fleetwood Mac with guitarist Peter Green, and he turned me on to them. I remained a fan, and followed them through all their various incarnations. When we played for the first time with them I was blown away, especially by Christine. I vaguely remembered her from Chickenshack, but somehow this was entirely different. Her playing, and singing had so much power, and the songs she sang were amazing! She, and Bob had a chemistry together that was compelling. After they played, I found the band backstage, introduced myself, and told them how much I loved what they were doing, and how much of a fan I was. They were all so nice, but at the time I really connected with Bob, and Christine. We chatted for quite a while, and every time our bands played together after that, we would look for one another, and say hello.
This continued for a couple of years maybe, on, and off. When Bob left, and formed another band, Paris, we stayed in contact for awhile. I didn’t see Christine again until many years later after Lindsey, and Stevie were part of the band, and they had become the ultra popular group they are today. We were playing with them at a big outdoor stadium show in Oakland, CA. I saw them drive up in their limousines, (yes multiple limos!) She saw me, and came directly toward me, put her arms around me, and gave me a warm hug. ‘It’s so good to see you again Pat, she said in my ear. ‘We’ve both certainly been through a lot of changes since we first met!’ We chatted a bit more then went into our respective dressing rooms. Both bands played, it was a beautiful sunny California day. Needless to say Fleetwood Mac performed a flawless wonderfully amazing show. I watched every second, smiles all around. Afterward, we waved goodby, at the time I thought for good.
Some years later we were performing in Maui, Hawaii. We had a few days off and were hanging out enjoying beautiful Maui. I got a call from someone in the band, or crew saying a few of us had been invited to visit Christine McVie at her house In Lahaina. Such an unexpected thing… I had heard she was back in England, no longer working with the band. I wasn’t really sure what she was up to? Anyway, some of us ended up at a little house somewhere outside Lahaina, and there was Christine waiting at the door to greet us. ‘Oh, I hoped you could make it Pat!’, she said. She offered us all drinks, a few doobies were passed around, we hung out, talked about whatever was happening, the old days, the new horizons we hoped for, and just enjoyed the moment. Her ex-husband John McVie shuffled through, said hi to all of us, and shuffled out again. They were still friends, and I believe she said they owned the house together, or with Mick Fleetwood, I can’t exactly remember? But, the just of it was, they were all still friends, and there were still roads ahead they would be traveling together. Everyone loved Christine.
It was an evening I’ve played over, and over again in my mind through the years. Probably 15 years later when I moved to Maui, I was lucky to become friends with Mick Fleetwood, participating with him at musical events, and fortunate to see him here, and there. I hoped I would see Christine again someday, but it was not to be. When I heard she had passed, I was disappointed that we never were able to reconnect. From what I heard she was fulfilled as an artist, accomplished all the things she had set out to do, was loved, and respected by her friends, colleagues, and band mates. She truly is for me, one of the best singer, songwriter, instrumentalists, I have ever had the great fortune to have met, and interacted with in my lifetime. Beyond that she was a warm giving person, who always stayed grounded. She was always the same person every time we met. That’s kind of rare in this business, where fame can easily alter one’s personality. Like all those who knew Christine, we will miss her generous spirit. We thank you sister for so many wonderful memories that we will hold forever in our hearts, along with the sweet gift of your music."
-Pat Simmons
Not sure why, but this has me in tears. Just beautiful...
Old 01-25-2023, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post

"I had heard she was back in England, no longer working with the band. I wasn’t really sure what she was up to? Anyway, some of us ended up at a little house somewhere outside Lahaina, and there was Christine waiting at the door to greet us. ‘Oh, I hoped you could make it Pat!’, she said. She offered us all drinks, a few doobies were passed around, we hung out, talked about whatever was happening, the old days, the new horizons we hoped for, and just enjoyed the moment. Her ex-husband John McVie shuffled through, said hi to all of us, and shuffled out again. They were still friends, and I believe she said they owned the house together, or with Mick Fleetwood, I can’t exactly remember? But, the just of it was, they were all still friends, and there were still roads ahead they would be traveling together. Everyone loved Christine."
-Pat Simmons
love love love this tribute. love how they passed around the doobies lol

does no one else find it intriguing that john and chris were sharing a house in lahaina ?? as always, if it were stevie/lindsey...goodness, the ruckus that would ensue!

but i digress...

i know john owned a small place in lahaina that he later sold to Mick. I believe it is the house mick is living in now. so maybe this was john's house and chris was visiting?? would love to know the year. maybe early 2000's? I don't think she ever owned property in Hawaii...

--Lis
Old 01-25-2023, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oooh, I loved this tribute!

I appreciated his recognition of the Welch-McVie years, and of the repeated interactions with her later on.

Thank you for posting.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post

does no one else find it intriguing that john and chris were sharing a house in lahaina ?? as always, if it were stevie/lindsey...goodness, the ruckus that would ensue!

but i digress...

i know john owned a small place in lahaina that he later sold to Mick. I believe it is the house mick is living in now. so maybe this was john's house and chris was visiting?? would love to know the year. maybe early 2000's? I don't think she ever owned property in Hawaii...

--Lis
My guess is she was visiting, throwing a party, and rounding up friends who were on the island...what a treat to have been there!
Old 01-25-2023, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I’m just wondering how she got there.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m just wondering how she got there.
yes, that's why i'm curious about the year. i recently saw some interview w her where she said she did fly to NY one time around 'In the Meantime' but that she had to get drunk to do it. maybe she did the same thing here.

unless maybe this was back in the mid 90s or something..before the agoraphobia time frame..?

--Lis
Old 01-25-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
yes, that's why i'm curious about the year. i recently saw some interview w her where she said she did fly to NY one time around 'In the Meantime' but that she had to get drunk to do it. maybe she did the same thing here.

unless maybe this was back in the mid 90s or something..before the agoraphobia time frame..?

--Lis
I remember the NY thing, too. Your memory isn't failing.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn’t that when she did those VH1 interviews?

Weird that she’d go to the trouble to cross the pond and not put at least a little bus tour together.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Wasn’t that when she did those VH1 interviews?

Weird that she’d go to the trouble to cross the pond and not put at least a little bus tour together.
She did indeed do the long VH1 interview. She looked great but still a bit off. Relaxed but not entirely happy. Elegant as ever though.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Grammy Tribute

https://www.showbiz411.com/2023/01/3...hristine-mcvie
Old 01-31-2023, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
Why Sheryl Crowe? Why? I mean, why? I like her and all, but why is she trotted out repeatedly as the band’s cheerleader? It would have been nice to a new face and fan make that tribute…
Old 01-31-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Why Sheryl Crowe? Why? I mean, why? I like her and all, but why is she trotted out repeatedly as the band’s cheerleader? It would have been nice to a new face and fan make that tribute…
Mick and Sheryl? That's odd. At least they are doing a tribute, however.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-31-2023 at 11:01 AM..
Old 01-31-2023, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I don't know but maybe Stevie finally gets her wish and Crow will join the band? I mean, there's no one there anymore to stop it and to say "no" to her. God, I hope not, IMO they are finished.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 01-31-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
I don't know but maybe Stevie finally gets her wish and Crow will join the band? I mean, there's no one there anymore to stop it and to say "no" to her. God, I hope not, IMO they are finished.
I would probably drop dead myself.