The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely think Bob should have been inducted and it was a crock he wasn’t. He was a vital part of their history.

That being said, the Peter Green lineups (which included Jeremy and later Danny) and the Rumours lineup were the only versions of Fleetwood Mac that had hits. The six people on stage that night were the ones most responsible for the band’s fame and success.

Bob was only in the band for 3.5 years (June, ‘71-Dec, ‘74), and it was a turbulent, not especially successful period in their history. The musical growth they went through during his tenure was immeasurable and they started catching on in the USA, even having their first Top 40 album, but they weren’t a hugely successful band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-20-2022, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Bob was great, and FM should be ashamed that they've ignored his legacy.
Hypnotized was performed at many dates on the last Fakewood Mac tour.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Like five shows. (Still pissed about it getting dropped, although “Sentimental Lady” would have been the better choice.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-20-2022, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a classic rock radio staple too.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Did you miss where they kept him from being inducted into the R&RHOF?
Old 06-21-2022, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found this interesting article.

https://www.cleveland.com/pdextra/20..._fame_snu.html

If that lawsuit was in 1994, I wonder if Mick mentions about it in his 2014 book (Play On).

In his first book (1990), He ends it by briefly describing how his friends are doing.

Peter Green, now Greenbaum, lives in western London. His fate haunts a generation of successful English musicians, all now entering middle age, who saw one of the authentic geniuses among them withdraw from the lists, refusing to sell out or play the fool. He not only started Fleetwood Mac and gave the rest of us a career; he also taught me something about my playing that's very important to me. He gave me the feeling he understood who I was as a person. He understood that I played like that person, without a lot of flash, but steady-on, like a rock soldier. Most of all, he gave us that magical, ongoing gift of a name Fleetwood Mac. This book is for him.

Jeremy Spencer is said to remain with the Children of God. He and his family were last seen at the Children's HQ in Sri Lanka, but the violent Tamil insurrection there reportedly forced the cult to flee for their lives. At last word, Jeremy was hiding out on an atoll somewhere in the Indian Ocean. Not long ago, a strange girl approached me on the beach in Malibu and handed me a cassette. It turned out to be Jeremy, singing and playing his guitar, but when and where it was recorded, I have no idea.

Danny Kirwan lives in a south London mental hospital.

Bob Welch, still a buddy, lives in Phoenix and is doing movie sound tracks.

Christine McVie is as great as ever. Right now she's working on her songs for our next record, Behind the, Mask, and thinking up blissful new ways to say she loves us. The healer's daughter will always be my sister and inspiration.

John McVie is still my closest friend. He and Julie had a daughter, Molly McVie, in March 1989, which served to mellow the once-wicked McVie, who is now sober, funny, and still a hell of a bass player. His spare time is devoted to the majestic Challenger, his sixty-three-foot Sparkman and Stevens sloop.

No more pre-Rumours member is mentioned in his (book) last words. Of course he mentions L&S but that's material for another forum.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:36 PM

I truly miss Bob Welch. He was a great song writer and I loved his music.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Bob was great, and FM should be ashamed that they've ignored his legacy.

I was just reading a couple of his posts I'd saved, literally an hour ago, after reading the publishing thread in the other forum. He was responding to questions that I'd asked him. So approachable, and so nice.

I left Nashville(where he lived) the morning he committed suicide. When I got to my other place, I checked in here, and saw that he'd died. My heart sank. I'd always dreamed of inviting him and Wendy out to dinner, and I'm reasonable sure they might have accepted. I was just too afraid of rejection. Regrets, I've got a few...
I have regrets too. He used to call our house back in the day to talk w Marty about us promoting his new album etc . I was so busy w the kids that I usually just passed off the phone pretty quickly. How I wish now I had taken more time to talk! He was such a nice guy and gave us a lot of great info. I sent him several xmas cards. I remember we had tossed around the idea of going to visit him in Nashville and talk about FM. Never happened but i wish it had. I do appreciate him and his contribution to this band. Wish he'd written that book he talked about doing...

--Lis
Old 12-07-2022, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I have regrets too. He used to call our house back in the day to talk w Marty about us promoting his new album etc . I was so busy w the kids that I usually just passed off the phone pretty quickly. How I wish now I had taken more time to talk! He was such a nice guy and gave us a lot of great info. I sent him several xmas cards. I remember we had tossed around the idea of going to visit him in Nashville and talk about FM. Never happened but i wish it had. I do appreciate him and his contribution to this band. Wish he'd written that book he talked about doing...

--Lis
He was so open and friendly. For years I wanted to invite him and Wendy out to dinner, but never had the nerve to do so(fearing rejection, I guess). I really wish I had, now.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
He was so open and friendly. For years I wanted to invite him and Wendy out to dinner, but never had the nerve to do so(fearing rejection, I guess). I really wish I had, now.

I hear you. He really was a good guy. very personable, with a great memory.

--Lis
Old 12-07-2022, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the albums from the Bob Welch years. That is my favorite era of Fleetwood Mac. I also had the real privilege of seeing Bob perform solo once, in Boston. I think it was in the late 1970s.

I had one brief email exchange with Bob. When he was communicating with fans through his website, I wrote him to mention another musician who has an interest in the occult, extraterrestrial life, UFOs etc. That other musician is Dave Davies from the Kinks. I thought that since Bob and Dave had a similar interest in this sort of thing, Bob might like to know that. He responded by saying he found the information very interesting, and I believe he said he'd try to contact Dave. Whether he ever did or not I have no idea. But it gave me a good feeling about him as a person, that he responded to a fan's comments with genuine interest. Being able to communicate with him through his website was a real privilege, one that most well known musicians wouldn't think of providing.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really miss him, and it's sad for me to know I discovered his music shortly before his death...
2012. Ten years ago. With my sister fell in love with FM's music one year before, so we started to collect their music. We really loved Bare Trees as "the rare album" of FM without Lindsey or Stevie Nicks. We enjoyed it very well, so we decided to know more about the Welch days. We bought Penguin back then, and we really liked!! Bright Fire was just like "BOOOOM" in my head, even when my favourite there is Caught In The Rain. A few weeks later, Bob died. And then I read Bob Weston died before. And Bob Brunning. I was really sad, but more for Bob Welch. I heard Sentimental Lady and Ebony Eyes and I was very very empty.
I can't believe it was all ten years before. I still feel it a bit fresh, like if it happened only two or three years ago! I miss him, but I must admit I laught a lot with his works on the 1995 documentary about the history of the band. A very nice guy!
Old 12-14-2022, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I really miss him, and it's sad for me to know I discovered his music shortly before his death...
2012. Ten years ago. With my sister fell in love with FM's music one year before, so we started to collect their music. We really loved Bare Trees as "the rare album" of FM without Lindsey or Stevie Nicks. We enjoyed it very well, so we decided to know more about the Welch days. We bought Penguin back then, and we really liked!! Bright Fire was just like "BOOOOM" in my head, even when my favourite there is Caught In The Rain. A few weeks later, Bob died. And then I read Bob Weston died before. And Bob Brunning. I was really sad, but more for Bob Welch. I heard Sentimental Lady and Ebony Eyes and I was very very empty.
I can't believe it was all ten years before. I still feel it a bit fresh, like if it happened only two or three years ago! I miss him, but I must admit I laught a lot with his works on the 1995 documentary about the history of the band. A very nice guy!
I probably wrote this on this thread but when I first got a computer in 1999 I remember visiting his website. He would answer questions from fans and do all sorts of online chats with fans and sold autographed CDs. I remember thinking "cool" but the Mac was pretty much a dead band and he was not on my mind as much. Looking back I was such a fool. I always loved him but my appreciation of Bob has grown so much over the years. I am starting to like the pre-Nicks era more than the Nicks era.

BTW, are you ready for Sunday? Im going to an Argentina party here in Miami
Old 12-15-2022, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I probably wrote this on this thread but when I first got a computer in 1999 I remember visiting his website. He would answer questions from fans and do all sorts of online chats with fans and sold autographed CDs. I remember thinking "cool" but the Mac was pretty much a dead band and he was not on my mind as much. Looking back I was such a fool. I always loved him but my appreciation of Bob has grown so much over the years. I am starting to like the pre-Nicks era more than the Nicks era.

BTW, are you ready for Sunday? Im going to an Argentina party here in Miami
Haha truly nervous!! But keeping hopes in mind...