User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Don't Stop was almost a number 1 hit. Would have been nice for Christine to get that slot.
She should have spun around like a drunken sailor a little more.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
She should have spun around like a drunken sailor a little more.
Dreams was so boring live.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The label was going with the exact same release pattern that they did with Rumours: Lindsey-Stevie-Christine-Christine. The difference, as you noted, is that this time the first two singles, while top ten and 20 singles respectively, were nowhere near as big as the fourth….
While I think the order was a coincidence, I do remember the press saying before Tango was released that it was “rumored” to be a remake of Rumours, and USA Today said Big Love was a remake of the Chain, Seven Wonders a remake of Dreams, Little Lies a remake of You Make Loving Fun, etc.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
While I think the order was a coincidence, I do remember the press saying before Tango was released that it was “rumored” to be a remake of Rumours, and USA Today said Big Love was a remake of the Chain, Seven Wonders a remake of Dreams, Little Lies a remake of You Make Loving Fun, etc.
Was Everywhere, Oh Daddy?
Old 08-10-2022, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't Stop was almost a number 1 hit. Would have been nice for Christine to get that slot.
It was her closest shot. And that song was HUGE.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it may have been coincidence, too, though it’s always been at the forefront of my mind, given the band’s ambition to ascend to their highest height. And wow, the press got that wrong—none of those singles is a remake of the said antecedent.

Big Love does have some of that tangly guitar we heard on World Turning and The Chain, though this time electric—but that’s it. It sounds really connected with Go Insane. Little Lies bears more resemblance to SYLM than anything on Rumours, though with synths. Seven Wonders would have easily fit on The Wild Heart.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it may have been coincidence, too, though it’s always been at the forefront of my mind, given the band’s ambition to ascend to their highest height. And wow, the press got that wrong—none of those singles is a remake of the said antecedent.

Big Love does have some of that tangly guitar we heard on World Turning and The Chain, though this time electric—but that’s it. It sounds really connected with Go Insane. Little Lies bears more resemblance to SYLM than anything on Rumours, though with synths. Seven Wonders would have easily fit on The Wild Heart.
I agree they were off about the “remakes.” But I will say that Big Love does resemble the Chain in the way it wraps up- you know, when Lindsey grunts in the song near the end. The climax, as it were, no innuendo intended. And even that is stretching it.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Was Everywhere, Oh Daddy?
It didn’t say anything about Everywhere compared to anything on Rumours. Poor USA Today was wrong about the rumors. My guess is whoever told them Tango was a remake of Rumours probably was misinterpreted. More likely they meant it was a return to the pop sensibilities of Rumours, not a literal remake. But I do remember there was a lot of curiosity and anticipation about and for the album before it was released. There were also rumors that Stevie Nicks was approached by the producers of Miami Vice to play Don Johnson’s love interest. Anyone remember that? I believe the role later went to Melanie Griffith. Stevie said something in response like no way- I’m not an actress.” Later, Miami Vice used I’m So Afraid on the show.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
It was her closest shot. And that song was HUGE.
True
But when Hold Me sat for nearly 2 full months locked at #4, Hold Me probably would have been the one. Dreams has the highest charting single from the band but Hold Me was on the charts the longest. Dreams hit #1 and the following week fell to the bottom of the top 10. Hold Me had incredible endurance and if it wasn't for Eye of the Tiger, Abracadabra, and Hurts So Good, it would have been #1. Those songs blocked it.
Hold Me finished 1982 as one of the biggest songs of the year. It finished the year a bigger "hit" than Dreams did in 1977 because its number of weeks on the charts. Hold Me was in the top 10 five times longer than Dreams.

When I was in college I lived in an international dorm. I will never forget, I was playing my cassette Fleetwood Mac greatest hits and there was a Japanese girl who could not speak English that well. She was in the English department before she was to enroll in classes. She asked me to play Hold Me and she sang the entire song in perfect English. I was blown away. She struggled to speak English yet she sang the song in perfect English without missing a word.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-11-2022 at 06:07 AM..
Old 08-11-2022, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

On another note, I loved when the band reunited with Chris started to perform Little Lies again. I loved the extended ending and Lindsey (finally) on vocals.
However, I loved and missed the outrageous keyboard beginning from the late 80s and 1990. That would just crank through the arena. It was much toned down in recent years.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My guess is whoever told them Tango was a remake of Rumours probably was misinterpreted. More likely they meant it was a return to the pop sensibilities of Rumours, not a literal remake.
I would agree with Mick that actually it´s Mirage that was "an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated". Specially after the Tusk change. Though within the 80s context, Tango perfectly fits in the 80s.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:19 AM

I've always thought Mirage was Mirage and nothing like Rumours. Not even close. Tango isn't close to either of those albums, as well. One thing Lindsey did accomplish is different concepts and sensibilities. They all did, really.;
Old 08-11-2022, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always thought Mirage was Mirage and nothing like Rumours. Not even close. Tango isn't close to either of those albums, as well. One thing Lindsey did accomplish is different concepts and sensibilities. They all did, really.;
Well, Mirage brought back a radio friendly pop sound.

I love everything about Mirage, and hold it in my heart, dearly.

Tango? Meh. It's slick. Plastic is slick. And sterile. Mick should be sterile.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, Mirage brought back a radio friendly pop sound.

I love everything about Mirage, and hold it in my heart, dearly.

Tango? Meh. It's slick. Plastic is slick. And sterile. Mick should be sterile.
Brought back a radio friendly sound? Hold Me and Gypsy make that true. However, does not equate to sounding anything close to Rumours. And yes, I love Mirage.

Sara, Think About Me, Never Forget and Angel were radio friendly. I think it was you who had stated Tusk (the song) ruined the singles on the Tusk album. I agree with that, too.

Now get mad at me and say you're never coming back, then come back tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Brought back a radio friendly sound? Hold Me and Gypsy make that true. However, does not equate to sounding anything close to Rumours. And yes, I love Mirage.

Sara, Think About Me, Never Forget and Angel were radio friendly. I think it was you who had stated Tusk (the song) ruined the singles on the Tusk album. I agree with that, too.

Now get mad at me and say you're never coming back, then come back tomorrow.
I never said it sounded close to Rumours. Only what I just said, that they were "radio friendly" again.

I never said that about Tusk(the song), either. Think About Me and Angel were radio friendly, but the album as a whole was not. I don't think anyone could make that claim.

Okay, THAT'S IT!!!!!! Y'ALL ARE A BUNCH OR F*CKING LOSERS, AND I'M OUT OF HERE!!!!!

(see you in a few minutes again)