User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Neither Billy nor Rick took the spotlight away from Christine and Stevie, who were the main draws during the Shake the Cage and BTM tours. On the contrary, a high profile replacement like Winwood or Frampton would have necessitated the inclusion of their songs into the tour setlist while also drawing attention away from Christine and Stevie, something the members of Fleetwood Mac may not have been on board with.
Winwood, yes. Frampton, no. Winwood had a lot of hits and classic rock staples and was still actively writing big hit songs.

Frampton only had three memorable hits and his star had long faded. He could do his three hit songs (just like they played I Got You, DDIO, and Free Fallin’), Oh Well, GYOW, and maybe a Peter Green blues number. Considering he was playing as a sideman in David Bowie’s band when Lindsey left, I doubt he was at any risk of overshadowing Stevie or Christine, aside from not being a barely known.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-05-2022, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
though neither would have been able approximate Lindsey or sell TANGO.
Billy and Rick didn’t exactly, either.

Quote:
I’m not a Sammy Hagar fan — at all. But of all the choices presented, he would have fit best with Stevie and been able to give testosterone-fueled renditions of the few Lindsey songs used. And he could have sung “World Turning.” But man, that scenario totally depresses me.
Sammy was in Van Halen, which was a way bigger band at the time. Furthermore, he’d been in Montrose and Van Halen. How many last name bands that aren’t his can one guy be in?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-06-2022, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I am serious. And don’t call me “Shirley.”

“I Can’t Drive 55” came out in mid-1984, and then…

“ The [National Maximum Speed Limit] was modified in 1987 and 1988 to allow up to 65 mph (105 km/h) limits on certain limited-access rural roads. Congress repealed the NMSL in 1995, fully returning speed limit-setting authority to the individual states.”

He was a founding member of Humble Pie with Steve Marriott, who split up Small Faces to form when the others wouldn’t let him in the band.

This actually bit Marriott in the ass when the Jimmy Page was looking for a new singer for New Yardbirds. Instead, Page had to settle on a Steve Marriott clone named Robert Plant.

LOL, he was acting as David Bowie’s lead guitarist on his 1987 tour. Ironically, they were in Anaheim around the day Lindsey quit. He totally would have done it.

And yet they put Dave Mason in the band.
I love you Steve. Please never leave this place. You are one of my favorites.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Neither Billy nor Rick took the spotlight away from Christine and Stevie, who were the main draws during the Shake the Cage and BTM tours. On the contrary, a high profile replacement like Winwood or Frampton would have necessitated the inclusion of their songs into the tour setlist while also drawing attention away from Christine and Stevie, something the members of Fleetwood Mac may not have been on board with.
Really, Rick and Billy were excellent choices, and you’re 100% right that neither one of them would take the spotlight away from Christine or Stevie, yet they would still be able to hold their own, as it were.

I see Frampton as more of a rocker than Winwood, but either one of them would have been interesting paired with FM. Considering Stevie did two solo songs on the 1987-1988 tour, and Billy did his dad’s song Tear It Up, I think FM would have been ok if Frampton or Winwood had played a few of their solo hits.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Really, Rick and Billy were excellent choices, and you’re 100% right that neither one of them would take the spotlight away from Christine or Stevie, yet they would still be able to hold their own, as it were.

I see Frampton as more of a rocker than Winwood, but either one of them would have been interesting paired with FM. Considering Stevie did two solo songs on the 1987-1988 tour, and Billy did his dad’s song Tear It Up, I think FM would have been ok if Frampton or Winwood had played a few of their solo hits.
I think Billy and Rick were good choices too. Don't forget Stevie did Don't Let Me Down Again on the Tango tour as well.

Billy did Tear It Up on BTM Tour so that was after he had done the tour promoting Tango and made an album, BTM, as a member of FM.

It's interesting that Axl Rose toured with ACDC as their lead singer while they were promoting their Rock or Bust album and ACDC did not do any GNR songs in the set. So perhaps that could've been the same for FM with Winwood and Frampton.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I think Billy and Rick were good choices too. Don't forget Stevie did Don't Let Me Down Again on the Tango tour as well.

Billy did Tear It Up on BTM Tour so that was after he had done the tour promoting Tango and made an album, BTM, as a member of FM.

It's interesting that Axl Rose toured with ACDC as their lead singer while they were promoting their Rock or Bust album and ACDC did not do any GNR songs in the set. So perhaps that could've been the same for FM with Winwood and Frampton.
Axel was replacing Brian Johnson who could not tour because of hearing loss issues. It would be insulting for Axel to put Guns and Roses songs in the set. Even if Axel suggested one, I am sure the guys at AC DC said no.
Brian was not fired nor did he quit so this scenario is not a fair analogy. If my memory is correct Axel volunteered himself. If Stevie ever cannot tour anymore, I will gladly volunteer myself. I can play the cowbell off beat better than her.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-06-2022 at 11:28 AM..
Old 07-06-2022, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Axel was replacing Brian Johnson who could not tour because of hearing loss issues. It would be insulting for Axel to put Guns and Roses songs in the set. Even if Axel suggested one, I am sure the guys at AC DC said no.
Brian was not fired nor did he quit so this scenario is not a fair analogy. If my memory is correct Axel volunteered himself. If Stevie ever cannot tour anymore, I will gladly volunteer myself. I can play the cowbell off beat better than her.
Insulting to play a GNR song in the ACDC set?

I don't see why it's not fair. I think if Slash were filling in for Angus I'd agree with you (not on insulting), but replacing a lead singer is different, in my opinion. It was the last leg of the tour, Brian wasn't returning.

I agree with what they did anyway. Keep it an AC/DC set. It's cute that Axl was singing the new songs promoting their new album.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Insulting to play a GNR song in the ACDC set?

I don't see why it's not fair. I think if Slash were filling in for Angus I'd agree with you (not on insulting), but replacing a lead singer is different, in my opinion. It was the last leg of the tour, Brian wasn't returning.

I agree with what they did anyway. Keep it an AC/DC set. It's cute that Axl was singing the new songs promoting their new album.
We will just have to agree to disagree
If anything, I feel the opposite and Slash playing for AC DC would open the door more for a Guns and Roses song since he is the instrument to make it happen.
But it is insulting to AC DC fans. They paid for a ticket for AC DC. Even the arrogant Axel Rose knew it would be too much and not go over right for him to self promote and do a Guns and Roses song. He kept it about AC DC which is what it was supposed to be. But like I said the AC DC example is bad because they did not fire their vocalist and he did not quit either. It was a desperate time and the band wanted to keep going with the tour. Axel volunteered to do it and the band played on.
If you have the honor of standing in for a legend vocalist in a band, you dont do your own material. Its not about you.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-06-2022 at 01:55 PM..
Old 07-07-2022, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree
If anything, I feel the opposite and Slash playing for AC DC would open the door more for a Guns and Roses song since he is the instrument to make it happen.
But it is insulting to AC DC fans. They paid for a ticket for AC DC. Even the arrogant Axel Rose knew it would be too much and not go over right for him to self promote and do a Guns and Roses song. He kept it about AC DC which is what it was supposed to be. But like I said the AC DC example is bad because they did not fire their vocalist and he did not quit either. It was a desperate time and the band wanted to keep going with the tour. Axel volunteered to do it and the band played on.
If you have the honor of standing in for a legend vocalist in a band, you dont do your own material. Its not about you.
Even though Axl has always seemed to be a crazy POS, he seemed to know how to do the right thing this time. Old Goat could take a lesson.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Crenshaw would have been a great choice.
Thanks! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. He was/is very underrated. You’re My Favorite Waste of Time and Someday, Someway are very catchy songs, and I can’t believe they weren’t bigger hits.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Frampton only had three memorable hits and his star had long faded. He could do his three hit songs (just like they played I Got You, DDIO, and Free Fallin’), Oh Well, GYOW, and maybe a Peter Green blues number. Considering he was playing as a sideman in David Bowie’s band when Lindsey left, I doubt he was at any risk of overshadowing Stevie or Christine, aside from not being a barely known.
i recall David Bowie's interview where he said that Peter Frampton was opening for Stevie Nicks which he implied was a waste of his time, and so he asked him to join his band where he can fully display his guitar skills to the right audiences.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Two words:
Todd Sharpe!!!!

Really criminal he was overlooked. He would have fitted in really and probably wouldn’t have needed 2 replacements….just him.
And he was a better songwriter.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-07-2022, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Two words:
Todd Sharpe!!!!

Really criminal he was overlooked. He would have fitted in really and probably wouldn’t have needed 2 replacements….just him.
And he was a better songwriter.
It really makes you think about their selection process. His name had to have been brought up, so I wonder who the big veto vote was...
Old 07-07-2022, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It really makes you think about their selection process. His name had to have been brought up, so I wonder who the big veto vote was...
Todd did a Q & A online many many years ago and this was one of the first questions out of the box. He said he was never asked but would have been humbled to have been asked.
Nothing against Rick. He is a fine player but Todd would have pumped a little more energy into the band IMHO.
We know why Billy was asked but we never get clear answers why Rick? Its not that Rick was not qualified but why? He had no real connection to the band. I suppose some genius record industry expert talked the band into hiring him. Something like.....the band needs a professional guitarist....someone with lots of studio work and flexible. Rick fits that bill.....blah blah blah.
I am only speculating (so don't flame me) that either someone thought Billy was lightweight and they needed a more polished guitarist to compliment him OR having already hired Billy, Todd was seen too lightweight and he did not have his sea legs yet. This is not something I agree with but Todd was not a mover and shaker with the big stars. Even he stated he was humbled when he met Clapton during the McVie album. Lindsey commented that it was funny they needed 2 guitarists to replace him

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-07-2022 at 01:47 PM..
Old 07-07-2022, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Billy IS NOT a lead guitar player.