The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mo Ostin, WB exec, died at 95 (White album)

Mo Ostin, US record exec who signed Jimi Hendrix and the Kinks, dies aged 95.
Headhunted by Frank Sinatra, the head of Warner/Reprise oversaw classic releases by the likes of Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac and Prince

So I do remember that name from Mick's first book, first time he mentioned Mo was about the White album:

But we knew this album was different from the rest. Everyone felt something exciting. For years we had been floating, without much direction. But this new band had chemistry. Biochemistry, even. We were enthused. I thought, let's go down and talk to Mo Ostin, the president of Warner Bros., and let Mo know that this time we really want the record company behind us.

So I went to see Mo. Mickey Shapiro came along. I told him, "Look, we really feel something here. We don't want you to think of this as just another Fleetwood Mac record. And if you and the company aren't excited about this record, then we prefer not to be on the label. We're not unhappy, but this means enough to us to say please, let us go if you don't love this record and think of us as a new band." Mo smiled in his avuncular way and assured us things would be OK. At that point, nobody at the label had even heard the record. But we wanted to let them know that this project was very special to us.

How accurate is this, I don't know, but it's an interesting episode.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:25 PM

Christine mentions Mo when doing the 21st birthday of Warner Brothers video with Stevie.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Christine mentions Mo when doing the 21st birthday of Warner Brothers video with Stevie.
Lindsey always talks about Mo Ostin keeping FM on the label as they were lingering between albums and members back in the early 70s.

for some reason i though i heard he died couple of years ago.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey always talks about Mo Ostin keeping FM on the label as they were lingering between albums and members back in the early 70s.

for some reason i though i heard he died couple of years ago.
Elle!! xoxoxox... Ok, carry on. I've missed you.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As I recall even after hearing the "White Album" Mo and Warners still did nothing extra to promote the album until around Christmas of 1975 when Over My Head starting going in the Billboard charts where no Fleetwood Mac song had gone before and the album had sold over a million copies. Then they starting spending to promote it.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I had just been thinking--what if upon joining Fleetwood Mac Lindsey had insisted that the band be renamed "Fleetwood Mac & Buckingham Nicks" or something to that effect (aka CSN becoming CSNY)? (Perhaps something catchier--Fleetham McNicks?)

Would this have helped more firmly seal the legacy of BN-era FM as its own definitive band, compared to the earlier and later iterations?
Old 08-02-2022, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I had just been thinking--what if upon joining Fleetwood Mac Lindsey had insisted that the band be renamed "Fleetwood Mac & Buckingham Nicks" or something to that effect (aka CSN becoming CSNY)? (Perhaps something catchier--Fleetham McNicks?)

Would this have helped more firmly seal the legacy of BN-era FM as its own definitive band, compared to the earlier and later iterations?
I think the vote would have been a hard no from Christine. And you know what happens when you cross her!
Old 08-03-2022, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
As I recall even after hearing the "White Album" Mo and Warners still did nothing extra to promote the album until around Christmas of 1975 when Over My Head starting going in the Billboard charts where no Fleetwood Mac song had gone before and the album had sold over a million copies. Then they starting spending to promote it.
Yes, this is basically what Mick says in his first book. The album exceeded sales of 400,000 units and the label wouldn’t pay for promotional balloons at one of their shows. Not until OMH reached 20 and the two successive singles reached 11 respectively did the label suddenly stand up and take real notice. There was some help early on for remixing the three singles but this didn’t actually come from the label. The band hired an outside AR guy.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes, this is basically what Mick says in his first book. The album exceeded sales of 400,000 units and the label wouldn’t pay for promotional balloons at one of their shows. Not until OMH reached 20 and the two successive singles reached 11 respectively did the label suddenly stand up and take real notice. There was some help early on for remixing the three singles but this didn’t actually come from the label. The band hired an outside AR guy.
I think they remixed the singles later on, no?
Old 08-03-2022, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had just been thinking--what if upon joining Fleetwood Mac Lindsey had insisted that the band be renamed "Fleetwood Mac & Buckingham Nicks" ?
But not at first, cause in 1975 they didn't know how successful they would be. L&S started with salaries. Now if they had insisted that in 1977-78 or later, I don't know, I think too Christine would have said No.

Now, I know this is not what DownOnRodeo meant, but this made me recall other renames like "Diana Ross & the Supremes". I even heard (never knew if it was really true) they wanted to rename "David Ruffin and the Temptations".
Can you imagine the band renamed "Stevie Nicks and the Fleetwood Mac"? "Lindsey Buckingham and the Fleetwood Mac"? No way.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But not at first, cause in 1975 they didn't know how successful they would be.
Good point about their being salaried at that stage, Villavic.

Nevertheless, Lindsey was hopeful about the future of the BN project and very ambivalent about being subsumed into FM (he had to be cajoled into joining by Stevie), and it was Mick who was so smitten by what Lindsey could offer, rather than Lindsey shopping around asking for a gig. Don't forget that Linds and Stevie had at least one potential big breakthrough hit up their sleeves with Rhiannon, as well as Monday Morning.
I don't see why easy-as-she-goes Christine would be against an adjustment of the band name, or even John caring much even though at least he is the actual Mac in the name.
In the years after merging with FM, Lindsey worked quick to jettison the pre-White Album legacy songs of FM from their live repertoire and replace them with BN material. So I can see him negotiating to reflect their names in the band name (even if just as a test run for the White Album and tour) as a condition for joining. But making Stevie's inclusion a condition probably used up what negotiating leeway they had.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't see why easy-as-she-goes Christine would be against an adjustment of the band name, or even John caring much even though at least he is the actual Mac in the name.
Well it's just my perception, but I feel Chris always has been very loyal to the band, respectful to the legacy, etc. John too I guess. Mick also loyal to the original name, though his love to money or his despair of being easily financially comfortables could have agreed. I don't know it's just my perception.

By the way, I'm dying to know how Stevie cajoled Lindsey to join the band.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:27 AM

I don't think it would have made sense. The album was a big flop, the label had dropped them and nobody knew who they were sans some Alabama crowd.

From a marketing stand point, nobody would have wanted that.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac wasn’t even six months removed from being allowed to use the Fleetwood Mac name. Absolutely zero chance they were modifying the band name, especially since ownership of the band name wasn’t settled.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
By the way, I'm dying to know how Stevie cajoled Lindsey to join the band.
She threatened to fire herself from working as a waitress/cleaning lady.