The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's famously fractured family is together, including Christine McVie

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...2&c=y#continue

Fleetwood Mac's famously fractured family is together, including Christine McVie
Article by: JON BREAM , Star Tribune Updated: September 26, 2014 - 1:24 PM

Christine McVie is back in the picture after a 16-year separation. Fleetwood Mac talks about their oft-fractured ties and the reunion tour opening in Minneapolis Tuesday.

Fleetwood Mac
Photo: Danny Clinch,

She’s back! Finally. After a 16-year retirement, singer/keyboardist Christine McVie has returned to Fleetwood Mac.

The “Rumours” lineup is intact. The band can perform “Don’t Stop” and “You Make Lovin’ Fun” the way they were meant to be played. Fleetwood Mac will be whole once again.

Wait a minute, sister. It’s not that simple.

This is Fleetwood Mac, rock’s famously fractured family. You can’t just write McVie — one of the group’s three singer-songwriters — back into rock’s longest-running soap opera.

It’s a process. You need meetings, and maybe a little therapy, and more discussions. It wasn’t enough that McVie sat in with the Rock Hall of Fame band for one song in London last year.

“There were conversations,” McVie said before a recent rehearsal for the band’s On With the Show Tour that opens Tuesday in Minneapolis. “And we had conference calls, and everybody thought it was a great idea and asked, was I committed seriously? I couldn’t go in and out. I said: ‘I don’t have a problem with that.’ So next thing you know I was sending my demos to Lindsey [Buckingham] and he was sending them back with his guitar and his voice.”

Fleetwood Mac has become a high-profile example of a broken, dysfunctional family that somehow is able to function together. You remember the back story that led to the blockbuster “Rumours” album in 1977: Christine and John McVie, the band’s bassist, divorced; singers Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, a couple since high school, split up; and Nicks later took up with drummer Mick Fleetwood for a while.

But Fleetwood Mac has managed to play on, recording six more studio albums (one without McVie) and undertaking nine more concert tours (four sans McVie). Of course, it was far from smooth sailing; Buckingham dropped out for about four years, starting in 1988, and the entire band took a two-year hiatus in the mid-’90s.

“The Fleetwood Mac story is kind of a hopeful example for all of us that we can work through things and it’s not even just to the point where we can tolerate each other but it’s to the point where we are back relating well to each other and playing with each other successfully,” said St. Paul mediator Dan Simon, who has been practicing for 16 years and holds a master’s degree in counseling psychology and a law degree.

Fleetwood Mac is not like — oh, no need to mention the names of any other classic rock bands — reuniting just for the paychecks.

“We can’t just suck it up and cut a deal,” said Fleetwood. “If you know our history, you know there’s no way we can do this unless we’ve made efforts to reach each other because we’re all ex-lovers and lifelong friends.

“For us, this whole thing is truly about relationships. There’s a connection that has to be addressed in order for us to do what we do — it’s too complicated — because we’ve had full, hugely vested, emotional, partnering connections within this band.”

Unfinished new album

The quintet usually has new music when it hits the road. Last year, the musicians — that’s everybody but Nicks — got together and laid down tracks for a new album.

“We’ve sort of half-finished the record, which has been shelved for a while because we have the tour,” McVie said.

Meanwhile, Nicks has finished her eighth solo album — “24 Karat Gold,” due in October, was planned before Fleetwood Mac reconvened — and Fleetwood, 67, has completed his second autobiography, “Play On,” also due in October.

Fleetwood promises nothing in his new book that will surprise any of his bandmates. His 1990 memoir, “Fleetwood: My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac,” was filled with sex, drugs, alcohol and intra-band acrimony. The only thing controversial about Nicks’ new album, whose subtitle is “Songs From the Vault,” is that they are old songs — most written between 1969 and 1987, and two from the mid-’90s.

Don’t expect to hear anything from Nicks’ new disc — or anything from anybody’s work outside Fleetwood Mac — in concert Tuesday.

“We’re not doing any solo stuff on this tour,” Fleetwood explained. “We did Stevie’s ‘Stand Back’ for years; it almost became a Fleetwood Mac song.”

Cancer survivor

After months of rehearsal with this reunited iteration of Fleetwood Mac, the roles of the individuals have become clear: They are the same as before.

“Lindsey has complete support and kudos for the creative flag waving that he continues to do,” said Fleetwood, ever the diplomat. “In the past, everything was so chaotic, I don’t think he ever felt appreciated on that level as much as he probably should have been.”

Fleetwood, who co-founded the band with bassist John McVie in 1967 in England, calls himself “the worrywart.” Having left his partying ways behind, he hopes to give his bandmates a sense of security.

The two female singers “aren’t in any way competitive onstage,” said Christine McVie. “I’m stuck behind the keyboards, and I’m very happy there. Stevie is the visual, sort of charismatic, ethereal one. If anything, I believe we are closer. Mick and I are sharing this house, and we have a terrific friendship. John and I are really, really good friends; we have no baggage. He is phenomenal, coming back from his colon cancer.”

But things have definitely changed with the 71-year-old singer/keyboardist back in the fold.

“With Chris, the chemistry and the emotional balance of the band is complete,” Fleetwood opined. “It’s been really uplifting for all of us. You couldn’t write this play if you tried to.

“This was unthought of — by Chris, by us,” he continued. “A year and a half ago, you would have said it would never ever possibly happen. This is unfolding with some wild angel with a magic wand hovering over us.”

Twitter: @JonBream • 612-673-1719

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
It’s a process. You need meetings, and maybe a little therapy, and more discussions. It wasn’t enough that McVie sat in with the Rock Hall of Fame band for one song in London last year.

“There were conversations,” McVie said before a recent rehearsal for the band’s On With the Show Tour that opens Tuesday in Minneapolis. “And we had conference calls, and everybody thought it was a great idea and asked, was I committed seriously? I couldn’t go in and out. I said: ‘I don’t have a problem with that.’ So next thing you know I was sending my demos to Lindsey [Buckingham] and he was sending them back with his guitar and his voice.”
so they already knew Christine was coming back in september, before London shows last year. i remember somebody here saying how she couldn't just re-join them half way through the tour because of contracts - this confirms it.

Quote:
“We’ve sort of half-finished the record, which has been shelved for a while because we have the tour,” McVie said.
half done. wonder what that really means?

Quote:
“We’re not doing any solo stuff on this tour,” Fleetwood explained. “We did Stevie’s ‘Stand Back’ for years; it almost became a Fleetwood Mac song.”
is he saying they are not doing any solo this tour, unlike others when they had Stand Back?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
so they already knew Christine was coming back in september, before London shows last year. i remember somebody here saying how she couldn't just re-join them half way through the tour because of contracts - this confirms it.
I don't see where it's implied that it was before the London shows. If anything it seems to imply that the phone calls took place afterward - that after the London cameo, she realized she wanted more.

Last edited by WildHearted; 09-27-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

They said no solo songs before the dance and they did stand back and go insane. so I bet Stand Back will stay in the set. So John had colon cancer. At least that is one of the more easier to cure. I think so anyway.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What does St. Paul mediator Dan Simon have to do with anything?
Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I don't see where it's implied that it was before the London shows. If anything it seems to imply that the phone calls took place afterward - that after the London cameo, she realized she wanted more.
there was an interview that came out just before 2nd London show with Christine, and in it Stevie said that LB told Christine that she can't just come and go.

that interview made fans thoroughly pi**ed at Lindsey at the time when everybody should have been happily enjoying the shows with the 5 on stage.

if i remember correctly because of "she can't come and go" people were blaming Lindsey for restricting Christine from doing Dublin shows or all 3 London shows, for doing just Don't Stop, for no world peace, and for all kinds of other things people usually like to blame Lindsey - since Stevie implied most of these things in that interview . then when pics from that first of the two London shows with Christine came out, everybody was reading into Lindsey's body language while Christine was on the stage saying how it's clear he was unhappy that she was back with them, as we already know he told her she can't just come and go.

if i wasn't lazy i would search for those threads.

edit: here it is, it came as an excerpt from upcoming interview with SN in Mojo magazine, and it was in between the 1st and the 2nd London show with Christine - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...77&postcount=1

Last edited by elle; 09-27-2014 at 08:24 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New news for me from the new interviews...I take it as no Stand Back, John's cancer was colon, and Stevie had already committed to the solo project prior to a new fm album.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
if i remember correctly because of "she can't come and go" people were blaming Lindsey for restricting Christine from doing Dublin shows or all 3 London shows, for doing just Don't Stop, for no world peace, and for all kinds of other things people usually like to blame Lindsey
I do believe Syria is Lindsey's fault though.

I'm sure they didn't finalize anything until this year, but I would imagine that Christine first started making overtures about rejoining the band some time after she met them all in Los Angeles for dinner. I don't think it's something that just came up for her after London. Michele
Old 09-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
New news for me from the new interviews...I take it as no Stand Back, John's cancer was colon, and Stevie had already committed to the solo project prior to a new fm album.
new FM album was started in january 2012. maybe Stevie forgot that by the end of 2013 when John was diagnosed with colon cancer.

in january 2014, there were interviews saying FM is going into studio, and Christine already sent her songs to Lindsey and he loved them and had ideas what to add to them.

at the grammy red carpet (end of january 2014) Stevie was saying that she has no idea what she'll be doing in the next few months, and everybody was puzzled considering we already knew FM was committed to going into studio.

Last edited by elle; 09-27-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
New news for me from the new interviews...I take it as no Stand Back, John's cancer was colon,
Interesting. That was the rumor, but it wasn't confirmed officially. My mother had that in 2002 and is running around healthy and active today. She had surgery and some chemo, but no radiation.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 09-27-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Stevie's contribution

I really hope Stevie writes *new* songs for the new album. She needs to tap into those creative juices again and show us she still can write great material. Nostalgia gets old after a while.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
new FM album was started in january 2012. maybe Stevie forgot that by the end of 2013 when John was diagnosed with colon cancer.

in january 2014, there were interviews saying FM is going into studio, and Christine already sent her songs to Lindsey and he loved them and had ideas what to add to them.

at the grammy red carpet (end of january 2014) Stevie was saying that she has no idea what she'll be doing in the next few months, and everybody was puzzled considering we already knew FM was committed to going into studio.
Thanks for putting things in perspective. Stevie keeps saying things like there can be no hit songs yet she discounts a fm with Christne involved. ..STUPID!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Stevie said she was doing different projects for the next few months(recording with Lady A, performing at ACM, Fallon, Rock Hall, mentoring Voice contestants) I think she wanted to record 24k since end of January because FM ended the tour Jan 8.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

half done. wonder what that really means?

is he saying they are not doing any solo this tour, unlike others when they had Stand Back?
What more clarification is needed? The album is still a work in progress; songs still need to worked on. I assume that also means Stevie needs to get on board.

That's true, but a bit laughable; it was an allowed intruder in the Rick and Billy era band, with a live performance of it even appearing as the only solo song on The Chain box set in 1992. With that, it did become a Fleetwood Mac song, cemented in all of their tours since then --until now.

It's pretty clear Stand Back won't be in the set. Some insider even eluded to it in a twitter post, saying "a certain member of the band is unhappy that a certain song was cut, but it's alright, it's alright."

I just hope they stand strong and don't cave in to her demands. I wish Stevie could take more stock in her Fleetwood Mac songs and pull out a song she's never done,or one she hasn't performed in decades.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-27-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Stevie said she was doing different projects for the next few months(recording with Lady A, performing at ACM, Fallon, Rock Hall, mentoring Voice contestants) I think she wanted to record 24k since end of January because FM ended the tour Jan 8.
you are right, google says it was another interview in january 2014, talking about the upcoming airing of her AHS episodes - http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53119

she said: "But when it’s all said and done, let’s please talk again to see if the Alamo incident is behind me. After this moment passes, I have a couple of months off and I think I’m going to work on my "Rhiannon" movie. You have to stay busy while you can."

in follow-up posts some were wondering how can she have couple of months off and whether that means FM was not going into studio in feb after all.