User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Genealogy

I've just discovered some names on my mom's side of the family on the internet and was wondering about researching genealogy on the net. Anyone know an easy-to-use, free genealogy site to research on? I have Cherokee roots, and am curious about it.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have Cherokee roots as well -- my great-great-grandmother was Cherokee. However, we've never been able to go back past my g-g-grandmother, as few to no valid records seem to exist, either because of translation errors, missing documents, or the fact that no documents were made.

It also doesn't help that I'm from the east Tennessee area, where the Trail of Tears originated. My g-g-grandmother was thankfully spared and remained in Tenn, but we don't know exactly why. We know she married a white man at some point, and we have all his information, but we have been unable to find out anything about her ancestors.

So, anyway - that was a really long way to say, "I don't know. But if you find out, could you please post what you find here?"
Old 01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's neat you guys are discussing this...
I've recently become interested in Native American history in that area! About the whole
"lost" colony in North Carolina and the RedBones and all the interesting tri-racial things.
I think it's fascinating about finding out the background/history of being part Native American.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Cool

I've found out that some of my ancestors came from North and South Carolina, Tennessee and Oklahoma. I have some birth dates now and I am like, "Woah, born in 1795?!" LOL

Looks like there are lots of subscription genealogy sites, but who wants to pay? LOL
Old 01-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestenadia
It's neat you guys are discussing this...
I've recently become interested in Native American history in that area! About the whole
"lost" colony in North Carolina and the RedBones and all the interesting tri-racial things.
I think it's fascinating about finding out the background/history of being part Native American.
It really is. I even read fiction about it written by archaeologists... Sadly, we can't find info on which tribe we're from, cause my mom's dad (who was 1/2 native, 1/2 french) left my grandma when my mom was two.. . Anyway, it's all fascinating to me...I've been studying cultural things on and off for years..

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I've found out that some of my ancestors came from North and South Carolina, Tennessee and Oklahoma. I have some birth dates now and I am like, "Woah, born in 1795?!" LOL

Looks like there are lots of subscription genealogy sites, but who wants to pay? LOL
If you ever get a chance to visit the area, I encourage you to do so. There is a large Cherokee/Native American museum in N. Carolina, really close to the Tenn border. It's a truly wonderful place -- extensive history and artifact displays, as well as a large community keeping alive the Cherokee traditions, arts & crafts, and even some aspects of their religious beliefs.

My family went there several times before we moved to Texas, and I'll never forget it, especially some of the ceremonies and dances they recreate.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are some links (in case you haven't run across them yet):

North Carolina Cherokee Reservation: http://www.cherokee-nc.com/

Cherokee Geneaology: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncqualla/

This is the first time I've run across this particular geneaology page, and I'm heartbroken to find out I'm not eligible to enroll with the tribe. I'm sure my parents never thought about it. And if I had known I only had a year after turning 18 to do it for myself, I would have. Oh well...
Old 01-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I've just discovered some names on my mom's side of the family on the internet and was wondering about researching genealogy on the net. Anyone know an easy-to-use, free genealogy site to research on? I have Cherokee roots, and am curious about it.

Thanks!
http://www.cherokee.org

Usually you can do some online genealogical research with their database.

Brian "The Ledgie with a Cherokee Tribal Citizenship card" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 01-23-2005 at 10:50 PM..
Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Try it if you have roots in England, it is like $50 dollars to get any record sent over to Australia, and even then you can't be certain it will help you until you get it, it could be totally misleading.

Tynan
Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the links everyone!!