User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
What do you mean? They're subjecting us to Chris Rock this year!
Yes, but I want to see him give the Oscar to Jamie Foxx, even if he didn't win, as he promised. It should be interesting

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Oh I didn't mean to imply that my father is human.

I do find Letterman too eery to watch. I don't need that subconscious fear.
wait, so they show The Late Show and things like that internationally. I always thought shows like that were only played in America.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default O man,

Thats some sad news. My prayers are with his family. May he RIP
Old 01-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
This is a real shocker. Johnny Carson just died. He was 79 years old.
God Bless him! I loved him so much...great guy!

May his soul rest in peace!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just have to share this.

I grew up in Omaha, NE and I still have a lot of family back there. My father's side of the family grew up in Lexington, NE. I remember my late Uncle Raymond telling the story of when he got out of the army (around the same time Johnny got out the Navy it turns out) he came back to NE and got married and moved to the "big city", Omaha. Him and my Aunt Mary moved to an apartment complex with their first child, a son named Chris. Right across the hall from them was Johnny and his first wife and their son named Chris. They became good friends, always seeing him in the apartments, going to watch his magic shows when he was "The Great Carsini" and then later watching him on his local Omaha show on WOWT.

My family is Mexican-American and at that time in NE people weren't necissarily nasty, but they weren't as nice as they could have been to them. Johnny never looked at that though. That tells a lot about a person...at that time period. My uncle passed on three years ago, but I talked to my Aunt Mary today and she was obviously very upset. She said that there was no one more deserving of all he achieved in his life.

He was a class act, a truely warm person, he will be greatly missed.

About the current late night hosts, I have to say that Letterman is the best. I think it's very telling that Johnny was sending Letterman jokes and not Leno. Leno should have never been given a show. He's not funny in the least. I can't wait until Conan takes over. I think he's second to Letterman.

Susie

Last edited by LilyRose; 01-24-2005 at 01:34 AM..
Old 01-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRose
He was a class act, a truely warm person, he will be greatly missed.

About the current late night hosts, I have to say that Letterman is the best. I think it's very telling that Johnny was sending Letterman jokes and not Leno. Leno should have never been given a show. He's not funny in the least. I can't wait until Conan takes over. I think he's second to Letterman.

Susie
Great story, Susie, and I couldn't agree more - he was one of a kind, true comic genius, and there will never be anyone like him again...

Johnny and my father share the same birthday, October 23rd. They always reminded me of each other. I, like most people, literally grew up with Johnny Carson. I would beg my parents to let me stay up and watch whenever David Brenner was on, or Buddy Rich (drummer extraordinaire, he passed away several years ago). Maybe my PMS has something to do with it, but I cried a lot yesterday. Especially every time I saw the clip of Bette Midler singing to Johnny...I haven't been this upset over a celebrity's death since Stevie Ray Vaughan died. I watched all the news coverage, on and off during the day. Larry King, Dateline, etc. But I took a break to watch Shaun of the Dead (GREAT movie, btw!) For those who are interested, Ed McMahon is going to be on Larry King tonight.

Jay Leno is a tool. Letterman rules.

RIP, Johnny. You WILL be greatly missed! Like someone yesterday said, we've been missing you already, since you retired in 1992.

Last edited by Livia; 01-24-2005 at 11:31 AM..
Old 01-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
RIP Johnny Carson, The originator...Not the imitator.

Well said, Estranged4Life! I agree. This is truly sad. He will be missed. RIP, Johnny.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 01-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
This is a real shocker. Johnny Carson just died. He was 79 years old.
A little late, but here's my fave JC memory:

Kirstie Alley was a guest one night, during her "Cheers" days in the '80s when she was reportedly still doing a lot of blow. She was extremely chatty and hyper and practically incoherent, and kept making out-of-the-blue innuendo towards Johnny, about each and every topic that rambled out of her mouth. And at first, Johnny just looked uncomfortable, but as the interview went on, he seemed to become more and more distressed.

I started to get worried watching this, as you almost never saw him really upset or at a loss for words (except when the animal guests were attacking him ). But this night he really had that "How the hell do I get out of this?" look on his face. And the audience was reacting to this, and started to groan and grumble instead of laughing at/along with Allie.

But Johnny listened to his audience, and of course saved the entire segment. For some reason, Kirstie started babbling about motorcycles and how sexy they were. She started acting all turned on, breathing heavy, and turned to Johnny, stuck out her chest toward him, and purred, "Do YOU have a motorcycle?"

Johnny's eyes squinted, and he leaned forward across the desk and purred right back at her, "If it turns you on, I do!!!" And Kirstie and the audience literally erupted with laughter, but Johnny's expression never changed.