The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac and their solo projects are my favorite, and no one compares to them in my book. There are other bands that I really like and get into, but Fleetwood Mac has always and will always occupy my top spot.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me it's a tie Fleetwood Mac/Stevie/Francesco De Gregori

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 01-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Well everyone seems to have an opinion on The Beatles so there'll always be people who don't like them. How to I manage? I just take comfort in the knowledge that I'm more enlightened than these poor individuals.

And i take comfort in the fact that I don't, on purpose, have to hear another fricking beatles song, ever!!!! JK, I like some of their songs.
How does it feel to be so enlightened? You must be stoked!!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is #1 with me, though it's really Stevie I would consider #1. Lately I am on a Heart kick (got some fabulous new bootlegs ) But nothing compares to Stevie. I've recently gone through a Led Zeppelin thing, Janis Joplin and Tom Petty.

~*~becky~*~
Old 01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
They hit #1 with a bullet, on my favorite artists list, in 1986, and they've stayed at the "top of the charts" for the entire 19 years since.
That's about when it happened for me too and still going strong. I love them and when people ask me why it is hard to explain. But you all get it!
Old 01-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienilny
Does it have to be a band? Fleetwood Mac is definately my favourite band.. but I love Cher just as much.. (not at the moment though, way too much into FM/Stevie...)

Anna?! Anna?! Hi!

Now... On the question:

It's hard to say, really... but, yes, I believe they are, there are a handful of other bands I really like, but, for the time being, Fleetwood Mac is my favourite band.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac along with Stevie and Lindsey are all #1 with me. There is no one else that I would travel cross country to see. I have been a crazed fan for over 27 years. and I am showing no sign of stopping.
I really don't even care about any movie or TV stars. I always wanted to know what was going on with the Mac and mostly Stevie but I think it is now shifting interest to Lindsey.

OK, I am obsessed with the band.

I don't have hundreds of CDs and videos of anyone else.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia
Anna?! Anna?! Hi!

Now... On the question:

It's hard to say, really... but, yes, I believe they are, there are a handful of other bands I really like, but, for the time being, Fleetwood Mac is my favourite band.
Yup, yup.. finally here! Woot!!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm in basic agreement with everything Lux said. The Beatles and the Velvet Underground are tied as my favorite groups of all time. The Velvets are simply indescribable to me. Everytime I hear a song by them it's like going to another planet. And the Beatles were my childhood. My dad turned me on to them when I was godknowshowold...very young. I became a massive George fan when I was 10, and I truly believe John Lennon was one of the most gifted, brilliant, incredible human beings to ever live. I love him. And his music is just untouchable.

Ok, and then after them there's tons others...but my favorite solo artists after the aforementioned groups are Polly Harvey and Leonard Cohen.

I'm not sure where Fleetwood Mac fits in, but they are AWESOME (especially Lindsey) and I'm glad to be on a board where I can discuss them and learn more about them. They'll have a definite place eventually, I am sure.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM-always #1 with me

I like other bands-lots of them-but none matches the Mac to me

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 01-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is the easy and unchallenged #1 in my book.

But I also absolutely love Steely Dan ... from a musical standpoint it's fascinating stuff. It should be, since it's not really a band but more of a couple of guys who call on the best musicians in the world to play with them. I discovered The Dan for myself when a friend made a mix tape for me years ago and included the song "Deacon Blues." I liked it because it mentioned my favorite football team (They got a name for the winners in the world/I want a name when I lose/They call Alabama the Crimson Tide/Call me Deacon Blues).

I would highly recommend a listen to Steely Dan's "Aja" for anyone who digs great pop music or jazz.

~Jamie
Old 01-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is the only rock band I've ever been fanatical about. (When I was a kid, Elton John was the be-all & end-all in just about everyone's eyes, but youth needs time to grow.) But I don't make the mistake of assuming that what I am (or was) fanatical about is, by virtue of the fact itself, of outstanding quality -- again, that's youth that typically makes that mistake. While I love the Mac -- at this point, out of habit -- I also agree with what Lux said earlier. Mac rose to greatness periodically through the years (particularly with the sublime sweetness of the guitar work & near-visionary songwriting of Peter Green & the deconstruction of recording media on "Tusk"), but all too often just took the more facile route instead of the challenging one -- to the point that the band is largely remembered as a paragon of mass pop appeal & demographic reach.

I don't equate Stevie with Fleetwood Mac in terms of accomplishment the way I do, say, Peter; although I know the majority of fans do.

I do think Fleetwood Mac's best days -- artistically, culturally, socially -- are well behind them & all their individual members, both past & present; but that doesn't affect my judgment of their best & most important achievements.

As for why they're the only band throughout my life that I've been fanatical about, it must have something to do with my identifying myself so strongly with their particular pop sensibilities, kind of like what Rolling Stone concluded thirty years ago. At some point, fanaticism feeds on itself & prevents you from identifying the elements that initially generated it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

FM is the only band I've ever been fanatical about, too.
I think my love for FM probably has ALOT to do with my age when I discovered Rumours. I was 14, and never very good at sports. I think I must've been searching for something.. . I absolutely fell in LOVE with Rumours, and spent countless hours alone in my bedroom, playing along with every song on trumpet!(sorry Mom.....RIP). I taught myself to play guitar and keyboards (and even drums, to some extent)from Rumours, and then Tusk.
I just......connected....... with Fleetwood Mac, like I never have with any other band.
If I were 10 years older, who knows, it might've been another band......or maybe even not music(I can't even fathom that now, it's pretty much my life).
Old 01-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieSPC
I would highly recommend a listen to Steely Dan's "Aja" for anyone who digs great pop music or jazz.
Yes indeed. And another one that I would highly recommended is their more current "Two Against Nature". The boys still have it.